Why become a member? ×

Lets design a bass by committee

Dom in Dorset

I would be tempted to say 5, but would I be right by saying most bassists play 4 string? Or would that earn me a slap in the mouth? If the majority of people play 4-string I would say make it 4, then keep options open for a 5-string.

Oh, don't forget the token left handed version too, for a 10% added cost of course ;).

Sorry I couldn't get to a computer this morning , anyhow, a quick count up has shown a majority in favour of a four string.
Lets turn our attention to the neck, how many frets? what construction? We'll look at headstocks and inclusion of block or other mounts later.
Call me boring but I'd like a maple jazz neck with maple board. 20 frets will do .

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1361894677' post='1992608']
I think it should have four strings for some songs but five for others, so we need a Low B that can sink into the fingerboard and lie flush when not needed. In similar vein, and pre-empting the fretted -v- fretless discussion, it needs to be both of course. That clever design which used to get posted every few months, the one where the frets can sink into the fingerboard and lie flush when not needed, would be ideal.

As to pickups, it needs both one and two. So what we need is a pickup design which can sink into the fingerboard ... oh no ... wait ...
[/quote]

This could work.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/lookaroundyou/2000/200026.shtml"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/lookaroundyou/2000/200026.shtml[/url]

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1361976271' post='1993897']
Sorry I couldn't get to a computer this morning , anyhow, a quick count up has shown a majority in favour of a four string.
Lets turn our attention to the neck, how many frets? what construction? We'll look at headstocks and inclusion of block or other mounts later.
Call me boring but I'd like a maple jazz neck with maple board. 20 frets will do .
[/quote]

24 frets

Wenge, Maple (Not a combination I've seen/heard)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1361979674' post='1993975']
maple maple.
No frets. :)
[/quote]
To keep things simple (or a least only less complex) the main design will be fretted, we'll run through any ideas for a fretless version at a later date.
Bolt on or through neck? Good question, I've always fancied a through neck so I'll vote for that.

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1361980097' post='1993986']
To keep things simple (or a least only less complex) the main design will be fretted, we'll run through any ideas for a fretless version at a later date.
Bolt on or through neck? Good question, I've always fancied a through neck so I'll vote for that.
[/quote]

Ok, 24 frets then, and a through neck, so it can look like a sandwich at the end.
:)

You're doing this all the wrong way around.

The number of frets is determined by the shape of the body (specifically the lower cutaway) and the position of the "neck" pickup and whether you want to leave any space between it and the end of the fingerboard.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361983576' post='1994041']
You're doing this all the wrong way around.

The number of frets is determined by the shape of the body (specifically the lower cutaway) and the position of the "neck" pickup and whether you want to leave any space between it and the end of the fingerboard.
[/quote]
The lower cutaway allows access to the upper frets but it doesn't determine their number. You could in theoy put frets right up to the bridge if it weren't for pickups getting in the way. In order to access these super high frets you just slice off the bottom of the body and put the controls at the top.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

But the space between them would become vanishingly small as you got closer to the bridge.

IMO you should have as many frets as your body shape and pickup positioning makes accessible up to a maximum of 36 on a 34" scale bass (any more and the space between them is too small to be useful). It should be at least 19 and the heel shouldn't start until after that.