Why become a member? ×

LOW Notes

Lfalex v1.1

Browsing around (as one does), and found this simple table of frequencies produced by various instruments, from low to high.
[url="http://www.contrabass.com/pages/frequency.html"]Contrabass.com frequency chart[/url]
Good Lord! I bet some of those are only felt by whales out in the ocean somewhere.
(Note that as far as we're concerned, Basses and ERBs are in standard tunings giving Low E, Low B and Low F# as the lowest pitches. I know we have the luxury of down-tuning further, but that's at a tangent to the plot!)

Users of the 64-foot subcontrabass clarinet may wish to exercise caution. That C-2 fundamental @ 4.09Hz is perilously close to the resonant frequency of the human body (at and around 3Hz)
Moderate amplitude would cause discomfort. Crank it up, and 3Hz can ultimately be fatal!

isnt 4.09Hz quite a way from 3Hz? being close is fine, just aslong as you dont hit it.

a science teacher we had made some directional contraption that made the same resonate frequency as your sphincter muscles....

[quote name='charic' post='205431' date='May 24 2008, 10:34 AM']Why has this not been used as a weapon lol.[/quote]
It would be a bit difficult to aim. Bass frequencies are notoriously non-directional, so protecting the "good guys" would be a serious challenge.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='205181' date='May 23 2008, 07:18 PM']Extrapolating (loosely) from the data on the chart, I'd suggest that 3Hz is [i]above[/i] B-2, but [i]below[/i] C-2...
As long as everyone stays at concert pitch, it looks like we're safe!![/quote]
I have to point out that the note immediately below C-2 is not B-2 but B-3! And also that 3Hz is below that, even! It'd be between F#-3 and G-3

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='205474' date='May 24 2008, 11:49 AM']I have to point out that the note immediately below C-2 is not B-2 but B-3! And also that 3Hz is below that, even! It'd be between F#-3 and G-3[/quote]
So much for my extrapolation / theory, then... :)

[quote name='charic' post='205431' date='May 24 2008, 10:34 AM']Why has this not been used as a weapon lol.[/quote]

C1 is nearest in frequency to the fabled 'pink note', which interestingly is a much higher frequency than that of the 'brown note', that I believe is around C-1. Maybe it ended up that way so you'd still be able to tell if you were coming or going?

For those who don't know.. best use google...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bnt' post='205462' date='May 24 2008, 11:37 AM']It would be a bit difficult to aim. Bass frequencies are notoriously non-directional, so protecting the "good guys" would be a serious challenge.[/quote]
ISTR being told at school when we were doing sound that at least one of the weapons that used infrasound actually used two ultrasound notes, pitched a few Hz apart, so the infrasound was generated by the beat frequency.

[quote name='dood' post='205671' date='May 24 2008, 07:24 PM']C1 is nearest in frequency to the fabled 'pink note'[/quote]

Is that the pink note of Howard Stern fame?! I've heard of Pink Noise, which I think is kind of 'all frequencies at an equal level', used to test the acoustics of a room. (or something)

[quote name='Jase' post='206042' date='May 25 2008, 05:14 PM']Why is it called the Pink note?.....Just wondering :)[/quote]

[quote name='Biggsy' post='213797' date='Jun 6 2008, 12:37 PM']Is that the pink note of Howard Stern fame?! I've heard of Pink Noise, which I think is kind of 'all frequencies at an equal level', used to test the acoustics of a room. (or something)[/quote]

noooo.. not even close lol... Maybe I'm not spending enough time playing my bass and too much time on my other exceptional talents! :huh: :huh:

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='205163' date='May 23 2008, 07:01 PM']Browsing around (as one does), and found this simple table of frequencies produced by various instruments, from low to high.
[url="http://www.contrabass.com/pages/frequency.html"]Contrabass.com frequency chart[/url][/quote]

The listing for Bb tuba is incorrect, the normal range is written down to F0. A pedal 'C' would be Bb - 1 which is readliy achieveable, even by
comparatively crap tuba players like me. I can just about get an Eb bass down to Bb - 1 and I only need a hit of pure Oxygen to recover :-) Some of the proper tuba players who post on here can probably get much lower pedals than that.

right, what am i missing? what happens if you hit 3Hz?

[quote name='dood' post='205671' date='May 24 2008, 07:24 PM']C1 is nearest in frequency to the fabled 'pink note', which interestingly is a much higher frequency than that of the 'brown note', that I believe is around C-1. Maybe it ended up that way so you'd still be able to tell if you were coming or going?

For those who don't know.. best use google...[/quote]

whats the pink note?

doesn't the brown note make you poo? i think i saw that on braniac?

[quote name='bnt' post='205462' date='May 24 2008, 11:37 AM']It would be a bit difficult to aim. Bass frequencies are notoriously non-directional, so protecting the "good guys" would be a serious challenge.[/quote]

Could easyly fit in an american army joke in here but they die for their country too and everone makes mistakes

I've always liked this one...

The octobass is an extremely large bowed string instrument constructed about 1850 in Paris by the French luthier Jean Baptiste Vuillaume (1798-1875). It has three strings and is essentially a larger version of the double bass (the specimen in the collection of the Musée de la Musique in Paris measures 3.48 meters in length, whereas a full size double bass is generally approximately 2 meters in length). Because of the impractically large size of its fingerboard and thickness of its strings, the strings were stopped by the use of an intricate system of hand- and foot-activated levers and pedals. The instrument was, in fact, so large that it took two musicians to play: one to bow and the other to control the "fingering," and was consequently never produced on a large scale or used much by composers (although Hector Berlioz wrote favorably about the instrument and proposed its widespread adoption).

Its lowest string is tuned to C1, one octave below the lowest C of the cello (32.7 Hz). This note is the same as the lowest note of a modern double bass with a low C extension. The middle string is tuned to G1, a fifth above the lowest string. The uppermost string is tuned to C2, an octave above the instrument's lowest string. Berlioz quotes G2, a fifth above the top string, as the highest note playable on the instrument, giving it a compass of an octave and a fifth.

A similar but more recent instrument, the triple contrabass viol, has appeared on a recording by the American composer Roscoe Mitchell.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz