Why become a member? ×

Slither (Velvet Revolver)

Hot Tub

It's funny how songs go down. I would have thought it was relatively well known. A bit of a coincidence I just ripped my Contraband CD into iTunes on Thursday.

Another tune that everyone knows likes but never seems to go down well is Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz.

I think you would be better off with Wecome to the Jungle than Slither - same style, slightly less heavy but has that 80s longlived vibe.

Absolute tune and a boss bass part(not to mention a belter of a guitar solo!), well known enough too, but probably a bit too heavy for anyone that doesn't recognise it... +1 to Welcome to The Jungle(or possibly Night Train..?), especially if you're after that style but are trying to avoid playing the obvious Gn'R/Slash tune... :ph34r:[size=4] [/size]

We play it. We usually carry on straight into Everlong by the Foo Fighters or Growing on Me by Darkness.

I can't say it gets people dancing, but heads do usually nod along in time and we get a good round of applause.

We used to open our set with it, but I need time for my fingers to warm up! We also play less heavy stuff (Rolling Stones, Arctic Monkeys, T.Rex).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361641311' post='1988732']
Just because a cover bombs at one gig doesn't mean it'll do the same somewhere else.
[/quote]

Or even in the same place on a different night - we always give a song a couple of goes to see if it'll work.

It's such a painful experience going through all the effort of learning a song, and the rush of trying it live first time, only to have a room full of people stare at you in disapproving silence when you're done. I liken it to when a comedian is trying a new joke and it falls flat. Gut-wrenching.

Used to be in our set for a while, but has been dropped. It's a great tune with a great Duff bassline. As an exersice try playing the main verse riff without looking at the fretboard or even with your eyes shut. The song went down well in most venues and is quite well known. Gor for it.

We cover this and, yes, it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Great to play, especially when the solo starts. I don't know about playing it with eyes shut, though - even Duff watches what he is doing on the vids I've seen.

We recorded is as a demo - this is our previous guitar player. Listening to it again now I think we do it more accurately with the current guitarist. I wonder if this embed code works?

[CODE]
<a class="my_play my_27" title="Slither" href="http://www.myspace.com/bandxerocks/music/songs/slither-80573539" style="display:inline-block;margin:0;padding:0;border:0;width:27px;height:27px;overflow:hidden;text-indent:-9999px;background:url(http://x.myspacecdn.com/modules/common/static/img/playbuttonsprite.png) no-repeat 0 -85px;">Slither</a><script defer="true" src="http://www.myspace.com/music/buttons/js"></script>
[/CODE]

Edit, apparently not. Oh well.

Edited by Paul S

Covered it in a band about 5 years ago, completely forgotten it now except I recall it being drop D and I played the riff entirely on the low D string which is probably cheating. I don't recall it being a huge hit with the audience even though the rest of the set was very rock oriented. We had a female singer, not sure if was quite right for her. Think the band split before it was dropped from the set so not sure how long it would have stayed a regular. Good to play with a really tight band.

Opened our first set with this last night. It's ace, but as above, choose your venue.

Play the songs you want to play, that'll shine through when you play them, people buy into that. I'd rather watch a band having fun playing good songs that I might not necessarily know inside out, than 4 blokes plodding through the usual rubbish.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1361629358' post='1988505']
Absolute tune and a boss bass part(not to mention a belter of a guitar solo!), well known enough too, but probably a bit too heavy for anyone that doesn't recognise it... +1 to Welcome to The Jungle(or possibly Night Train..?), especially if you're after that style but are trying to avoid playing the obvious Gn'R/Slash tune... :ph34r:
[/quote]
Slither goes down OK for us.
As for Welcome To The Jungle, much better tune, but harder to pull off and a hundred times harder to sing.... your singer needs some voice for that one... more so if you're in standard tuning.