Why become a member? ×

Fuzz/distortion/overdrive that's out of this world

Lobster fingers

I love distortion/ fuzz and overdrive and I already own a big bass muff pi, a swollen pickle, a multiwave distortion and a green rhino. I use these individually or in combination with my markbass Supersynth. Can anyone recommend any other fuzz/distortion/overdrive pedals that will give me a new sound to add to my collection? Something that will give a industrial synth or musical but weird sound alone or in combination with my Supersynth would be great. Any sensible or wacky suggestions?

You are describing the Zvex Woolly Mammoth !. I actually have a cracking Woolly Mammoth clone I could sell for (relative) peanuts if you were interested, as you will soon discover that the original costs a fortune. The circuit seems to be pretty easily reproduceable by cloners and there are good clones out there.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1361611278' post='1988154']
You are describing the Zvex Woolly Mammoth !. I actually have a cracking Woolly Mammoth clone I could sell for (relative) peanuts if you were interested, as you will soon discover that the original costs a fortune. The circuit seems to be pretty easily reproduceable by cloners and there are good clones out there.
[/quote]

[quote name='Lobster fingers' timestamp='1361630748' post='1988535']
Thanks for the ideas, but which are easy to get for less than £100 new or 2nd hand?

hamfist let me know a bit more about your Woolly Mammoth clone and these clones in general ie which ones are worth looking at and which ones should I avoid?
[/quote]

Sorry, but my Mammoth has literally just sold, after I decided to actually put it up the forum for sale. Anyway, here's a clip I did of it this morning....

[url="https://soundcloud.com/#alanbridges/wm-clone-clip"]https://soundcloud.com/#alanbridges/wm-clone-clip[/url]

I can't really help you too much on which specific cloners might be better than others, as I simply don't have enough experience on that. However on ebay there is this ..

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-Effects-Fuzz-similar-to-Woolly-Mammoth-Pedal-/290865403143?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43b8edd507"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitar-Effects-Fuzz-similar-to-Woolly-Mammoth-Pedal-/290865403143?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43b8edd507[/url] (and he accepts returns).

Also this ....

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mammoth-not-Woolly-fuzz-effects-pedal-clone-/230931785418?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35c49b66ca"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mammoth-not-Woolly-fuzz-effects-pedal-clone-/230931785418?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35c49b66ca[/url]

I use a ProCo RAT for a thick, warm tone (the filter control really works well with bass). That's the only full on fuzz I use these days, but I have used an original Marshall Guv'nor too which was brutal. I am contiplating a purchase of a Soundblox Multiwave Distortion Pro. It's a bit pricey, the the amount of different tones you can get out of that thing is amazing. Anything from tube warmth to synth type fuzz. I already own the Envelope Filter Pro and it has been an incredible pedal, so I am expecting the same quality from the Soundblox Multiwave Distortion Pro.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1361661608' post='1989112']
I use a ProCo RAT for a thick, warm tone (the filter control really works well with bass). That's the only full on fuzz I use these days, but I have used an original Marshall Guv'nor too which was brutal. I am contiplating a purchase of a Soundblox Multiwave Distortion Pro. It's a bit pricey, the the amount of different tones you can get out of that thing is amazing. Anything from tube warmth to synth type fuzz. I already own the Envelope Filter Pro and it has been an incredible pedal, so I am expecting the same quality from the Soundblox Multiwave Distortion Pro.
[/quote]

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1361661608' post='1989112']
[/quote]

As I said in my original post I have the basic multiwave distortion. It's great, but a little twangy by itself, but when the output goes into a green rhino it gives an amazing really thick sound.

[quote name='Lobster fingers' timestamp='1361691551' post='1989247']
Following on. Anyone used Wounded Paw fuzz pedals? They look good in the clips, but do they work well in real life and are they too similar to a green pickle or EHX bass muff?
[/quote]

I don't have their fuzz, but have a Wounded Paw Black Sheep, which I can vouch for, as it is a superb pedal, just much lower gain than you are looking for I think. The guy at WOunded Paw has good ears though, so I'd trust any of his pedals.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1361647217' post='1988832']
Danelectro French Toast? Cheap price belies the sound you can get from these things.
[/quote]

Good call!!

Another favorite of mine is the Red Llama - I only have a clone but I hope it's similar to the proper one else my recommendation is useless :)