Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass

BigLicks67

After failing to sell my guitar on ebay I have now got a restricted budget for a P Bass. I would prefer a 9.5 radius and an unreliced bass. Which would you choose out of these :

a) Squier Classic 60's Vibe Precision
b Mex Standard P Bass
c) save up and buy a second hand American Standard.
d) none of the above

I have a battered Tokai Jazz to keep me going in the meanwhile.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

There have been some interesting ebay listings recently. There was a sunburst early 90s MIJ Squier Silver Series P-Bass finished last night for £185. I would have bid on it but I like black basses and really don't like sunburst. Then this morning ANOTHER Squier Silver series P-Bass appeared, in black, BIN £200. So I did.

I'd think that for £200 +/- these would be hard to beat.

Alternatively buy a nice Westone Thunder bass, stick a Wizard Trad pup in it and you have all the P-Bass tones you could ever want.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1361459829' post='1986012']
There have been some interesting ebay listings recently. There was a sunburst early 90s MIJ Squier Silver Series P-Bass finished last night for £185. I would have bid on it but I like black basses and really don't like sunburst. Then this morning ANOTHER Squier Silver series P-Bass appeared, in black, BIN £200. So I did.

I'd think that for £200 +/- these would be hard to beat.

Alternatively buy a nice Westone Thunder bass, stick a Wizard Trad pup in it and you have all the P-Bass tones you could ever want.
[/quote]
Yep, I noticed that silver series P Bass myself, with a mirror scratch plate you are in Phil Lynnot territory :)

Always depends on budget, but I`d go for a US Standard first, then CIJ second. Nothing wrong with Squier or MIM I might add, both very good, having had a few of them, but the US & CIJ are, in my opinion, better basses. Plus, the dreaded GAS is an awful thing, once you go down the start of that route it will be "I can upgrade to...." etc, may as well go for the better one asap.

I've played a classic vibe p and was seriously impressed...the woods are not glamourous (I think the body is basswood) but the tone and playability was all there.

Having said that, if you can afford it, it's always better to save up and get the American standard as its a bass for life, whilst a squire would more likely be a stepping stone....

I'd also consider the lakland skyline '51 precision. I tried a load of p-basses at guitar guitar and to me, the skyline came away the clear winner. I didn't care for the looks (though others will love the 51 style) but it sounded bloody fantastic, really fat and punchy, I couldn't believe it was a passive bass!

Edited by mingsta

Pay just enough to get a bass you feel works. I sold my Lakland's and now only use Squiers. For me anything more costly (assuming i just want passive P and Jazz bass) is a waste of money and id only be paying more for the cosmetics.
Ask yourself what do the others give you. The MIA's are great basses (although i prefer the frets on the CV basses) but for the money what do they offer over the cheaper basses, that matter to YOU. All are P basses, all sound like P basses etc etc.

So, from the original list my vote goes to the CV, although i think the Matt freeman is much better looking.

what's wrong with your Tokai jazz. Just use the neck pick up on its own, it should sound good enough.
The CIJ basses feel better made (to me) than the standard USA things. They look almost anemic. The maple is always really pale. Plus I like the laquer on the necks on the CIJ stuff.
Still, enjoy looking for whatever, it's great fun

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1361537466' post='1987117']
what's wrong with your Tokai jazz. Just use the neck pick up on its own, it should sound good enough.
The CIJ basses feel better made (to me) than the standard USA things. They look almost anemic. The maple is always really pale. Plus I like the laquer on the necks on the CIJ stuff.
Still, enjoy looking for whatever, it's great fun
[/quote]

It needs a refret, a new control panel with knobs, new nut, possible new machine heads and a new bridge saddle. It would also benefit from new pickups. When you add up the cost of that I could buy the Squier CV.
I agree with you on the anaemic maple, but I think they have started giving it a vintage type stain on Standards from 2012 onwards.

I'll keep my eye on the classifieds. Thanks for all the replies.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1361468135' post='1986208']
Always depends on budget, but I`d go for a US Standard first, then CIJ second. Nothing wrong with Squier or MIM I might add, both very good, having had a few of them, but the US & CIJ are, in my opinion, better basses. Plus, the dreaded GAS is an awful thing, once you go down the start of that route it will be "I can upgrade to...." etc, may as well go for the better one asap.
[/quote]

+1 on this .