Why become a member? ×

Bass player who plays every song in same key?

lowlandtrees

'twould be useful for a dep I do that plays two or three songs in a different key to that my band does them in, and one where they play a famous riff around the second fret that was originally open, and would be far easier down a tone (and not just for me but the vocalist). Still I just soldier on transposing on the fly (most of the time). Occasionally muscle memory takes over briefly and puts me in the wrong key. :blush:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1361300422' post='1984217']
I know a couple of keyboard players that do that as well.

Nothing's new!

Irving Berlin could only play in F#. Didn't stop him becoming rich, famous and successful.

In 1910 he bought a "transposing piano" for $100. To one side of the keyboard was a small wheel, and turning the wheel shifted the keyboard right or left relative to the strings, positioning the hammers over higher or lower notes than they would ordinarily strike.
[/quote]

Aye all true but the guy could write an absolute belter of a tune!!

I wonder whether anyone here uses a 'spell-checker', either as an amateur, or as a professional writer..? Any substitute for being proficient without..? Google translation, anyone..? It's just a means to an end, surely..? Aren't the frets a kind of 'cheat mode' for those not 'musician' enough to play without..? I sense a touch of snobbery here.

(...[i]but I'm a drummer; what would I know..?[/i] :mellow: )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1361291730' post='1984045']
A friend of mine plays in this band. Won't name them. The bass player plays everything in the same key through a modulator(or whatever its called) which changes the key as needed, Wit aboot that. Is this common?
[/quote]

Thankfully, no. :D

Whilst it's true that most bass players have 'favoured' keys for different things, I don't think I've ever met one who can't play in a different key without resorting to technology to get them there.

He must've forked out a fair bit, pitch shifters are notoriously dodgy on bass due to the long wavelength of the notes.

That or he sounds.....uh...."extremely not good".

Either way, it seems pointless to me. I can imagine for something like fast riffing when the guitarist drop Ds his guitar without a care in the world (assuming you don't have a D-tuner or the capability to reliably drop D quickly) but for anything else it just seems like a waste of time and sacrificing the sound of your gear for no real advantage.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1361299094' post='1984180']
How do you know it's a guy? In this situation 'Their' is correct :)
[/quote]
I was not intending to correct your usage, which I took to have a clear meaning.

I understood 'their', being plural in form, to refer to the rest of the band and that you were making a joke about the rest of the band also having a preferred key. Hence my rubbish joke about correcting it to 'his' preferred key.

I did sexistly assume it was a male so, in this case, 'his or her' would be correct usage and 'their' is incorrect through ambiguity.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1361300422' post='1984217']
To one side of the keyboard was a small wheel, and turning the wheel shifted the keyboard right or left relative to the strings, positioning the hammers over higher or lower notes than they would ordinarily strike.
[/quote]

I use a very similar system when I play bass. To one side of my left arm is a small joint (which I normally call my "wrist"), and moving it slightly to the right or the left relative to the frets means that I play lower or higher notes than previously.

Until I read about this 'transposing piano', I was considering taking out a patent ...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1361351905' post='1984816']
I was not intending to correct your usage, which I took to have a clear meaning.

I understood 'their', being plural in form, to refer to the rest of the band and that you were making a joke about the rest of the band also having a preferred key. Hence my rubbish joke about correcting it to 'his' preferred key.

I did sexistly assume it was a male so, in this case, 'his or her' would be correct usage and 'their' is incorrect through ambiguity.
[/quote]

Oh sorry I did not realise that. I apologise.

If that's what he wants to do, fine. If his band are happy with that, again, fine.
I just feel sorry that this guy will not be progressing or improving his playing or identifying notes around the fretboard and will end up being handicapped (musically) if he wants to sit in with other musicians.
If he's not bothered, then fair do's.

Edited by onemanband

[quote name='lastnotleast' timestamp='1361300527' post='1984223']
[b]Yes but how many of you know what the tertiary dominant chord is in the key of Bb?[/b]

I have been told that there is now a guitar which plays in tune no matter how badly it is out of tune.

These folks are not musicians but rather "guitar owners".
[/quote]

Who cares?

Is this guy actually playing in the same key for everything, or has something been lost in translation and he just pitch-shifts when the guitars go drop tuned or down a semitone and the like? Sounds like a Morpheus Droptune or similar, and that's exactly what they were made for - saving minutes returning or changing instruments on stage.

I mean, the guy might be playing everything in E and pitchshifting wildly, but there might be a slightly different story at play. Would that still meet the wrath of Basschat?

If it sounds ok what's the problem? I'll admit it's an odd thing to do (if the OP has explained it right) but really, what does it matter? It's the MUSIC that matters isn't it? I don't give a sh*t if the kid doesn't know what the tertiary arse of a flat seagull is or whatever. And there are plenty of people who can barely play with any expression at all but who know a ton of theory, I know who I'd rather listen to.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1361291730' post='1984045']
A friend of mine plays in this band. Won't name them. The bass player plays everything in the same key through a modulator(or whatever its called) which changes the key as needed, Wit aboot that. Is this common?
[/quote]

Funny that - never heard of it before - it's such fun playing in G and Bb and you get some really nice bass sound just from the different positions on the fretboard.

In my experience you sometimes come across guitarists who prefer to play in one key - no wait it's two - E and A! I've never come across a guitar based band or jam session that ever plays, say James Brown, Stevie Wonder (Superstition is in Eb!!) or any other songs that weren't already in E or A in the recorded key (except I Can't Get Enough of your Love by Bad Company - and some have real problems with the solos as a result!).

My dad (who was an accordian player) used to say many piano players would play in B - given the choice) black note bias and thus easier. I have heard recorded rock stuff with piano/keyboard solos where the band plays in B on those songs, whereas on songs without they play in E or A - so I guess there may be some truth in this.

Of course there's many a keyboard/piano player, guitarist and bass player who can play most things in most keys - it's rare a singer's range can be as versatile as this so the more competent musician (can play in any key), can accomodate a singer's range. Those who can't may insist on playing in E, A etc and may upset the poor old singer or may use a harmoniser (or a capo in some cases).....but I guess it is possible some of these guys may believe the audience is only there to see the lead guitar, and the singing and everything else is incidental :rolleyes: oo how could I possibly be so cynical....... :lol:

The use of a brass section, or individual brass instruments may also affect key choice.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361540049' post='1987183']
If it sounds ok what's the problem? I'll admit it's an odd thing to do (if the OP has explained it right) but really, what does it matter? It's the MUSIC that matters isn't it? I don't give a sh*t if the kid doesn't know what the tertiary arse of a flat seagull is or whatever. And there are plenty of people who can barely play with any expression at all but who know a ton of theory, I know who I'd rather listen to.
[/quote]
I agree that if it sounds ok then it is ok but it's still an odd way to approach things, IMHO.