Why become a member? ×

What sort of bass is Oldfield playing here?

merello

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360587817' post='1972730']
I was sort of expecting a 'thanks' but not to worry................ :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Good afternoon, BetaFunk (or may I can you Beta..?)...

17' between question and answer; one has had time to forget many things, it seems. Thanks, on behalf of others interested in these basses, anyway...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1360589385' post='1972788']
Good afternoon, BetaFunk (or may I can you Beta..?)...

17' between question and answer; one has had time to forget many things, it seems. Thanks, on behalf of others interested in these basses, anyway...
[/quote]
You can call me anything you like Dad3353 and thank you for your thanks!!!

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360619554' post='1973640']
I'm not really sure why i answered that question as i can't stand Mike Oldfield. His sodding Tubular Bells gets right up my nose and every girl i knew in the 70s had this dross in their record collection.
[/quote]

Stuff of my youth, 1970s, girls, tubular bells...................... Caravan, Camel, Wishbone Ash, Free, Deep Purple, Sabbath... enough reminiscing lol.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1360621868' post='1973703']
Stuff of my youth, Caravan,
[/quote]

My wife suggested we listen to 'in the land of grey and pink' when we were checking out youtube the other day. I liked it in a curious way - but it is definitely' of it's time'.... :)

I'm not really sure why i answered that question as i can't stand Mike Oldfield. His sodding Tubular Bells gets right up my nose and every girl i knew in the 70s had this dross in their record collection.
[/quote]

Show that man the door, he obviously has no class!!!

[/quote]

To get it into perspective though, he was 19 years old at the time, it was Virgin Records first album release (so it could be argued that it helped fund future signings), has sold somewhere between 15M and 17M copies and has regularly popped back into the album charts. (No.66 last year).

If I had a track record like that then I don't think I'd be hugely worried. :D

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360772246' post='1976239']
To get it into perspective though, he was 19 years old at the time, it was Virgin Records first album release (so it could be argued that it helped fund future signings), has sold somewhere between 15M and 17M copies and has regularly popped back into the album charts. (No.66 last year).

[/quote]

does that make him the top one hit wonder of all time?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360772246' post='1976239']

[/quote]
I was also 19 at the time. That didn't seem to make it sound any better to me. A lot of things could be argued but i simply stated that i didn't like it. At that time as was listening to a lot of different Rock, Jazz, Soul & Reggae, Marvin Gaye, Laura Nyro, Ornette Coleman, Sun Ra and things like Cornelius Cardew's The Great Learning so poor old Mike sounded a little bit too twee for me.

I wouldn't think he would be hugely worried either with that track record so at least we agree on something. :D

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360776144' post='1976320']
TBH though none of it has had the impact (or sales) of Tubular Bells.
[/quote] You sell 17 million billion copies of your debut album and you know it's all going to be down hill from there....

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360776144' post='1976320']
TBH though none of it has had the impact (or sales) of Tubular Bells.
[/quote]

No not really. :)

I guess the biggest things since then were Incantations (with a huge live band/orchestra on tour) and then a few chart singles from Five Miles Out and Crises.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360776164' post='1976323']
A lot of things could be argued but i simply stated that i didn't like it.
[/quote]

I'm not arguing or trying to persuade you to like it, I was just pointing out the facts.

Although now I think of it, there's at least 17M people out there who'd disagree with you... :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360891267' post='1978128']
I'm not arguing or trying to persuade you to like it, I was just pointing out the facts.

Although now I think of it, there's at least 17M people out there who'd disagree with you... :)
[/quote]
Yes i'm sure there are millions that would disagree with me but then there are millions of happy Boyzone and Westlife listeners.
I saw the Steve Franklin Group play at the Bulls Head in Barnes around 1980 a couple of days after seeing Weather Report at Hammersmith Odeon. Both groups had similar line-ups: Keyboards, Saxophone, Electric Bass, Drums etc but the SFG would have blown WR off the stage they were so good. I don't think they even recorded with that line-up while WR of course sold millions of records.
How many records an artist sells has never persuaded me to like them or not. I just listen to the music and decide.