Why become a member? ×

"The Beatles!"

gsgbass

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1360602954' post='1973164']
Some probably would, but that's fan-dom for you and it happens with all sorts of things from people queueing up to see the Mona Lisa to camping outside an Apple store to buy the latest iPhone. It's hardly a phenomenon unique to The Beatles, though it is more apparent because there are so may people who like them. THAT'S the point.
[/quote]

Just because lots of people do a particular thing doesn't necessarily give it any validity (the iphone being the perfect example) ...it just proves that people are capable of unthinking herd like behaviour.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360603445' post='1973175']
I find it fascinating on a musicians forum that other users are decried for simply not liking the output of another musician; calling them anything else is ridiculous. Since when was one person's personal taste open to negative posts or ridicule?
I find McCartney's voice, in the main, boring and bland, Harrison's guitar work insipid in the main & Lennon from most accounts sounds like a hypocritical b.o.a.t. which doesn't lend him to open consideration.
[i]I do have a few Beatles recordings, couldn't tell you the last time I played any of it, don't miss it & never find myself humming one of their tunes walking down the street.[/i]
The same could be said of any average punter in the street of any band you care to mention, but because it's The Beatleszzzzz it's makes you tasteless, or in denial? Get [s]Back[/s] real!
[/quote]

Aye! It's all subjective.
If you asked my mother, who's been a piano teacher for 50 years, what she thought about the Beatles (or the Stones, or Beyonce, or Led Zep, for that matter!) she'd say "rubbish, it's just pop music/a noise/populist nonsense". But if you dared to diss Bach, or Mozart, or Beethoven she would think you a Philistine... She doesn't understand that not everybody likes the same things.
I did, however, get her up dancing to Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers once!

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1360603265' post='1973172']
I was about 10, my pocket money was 7/6d so I do remember what it would buy. [/quote]

Bloody Hell, you were rich.
I was 13 then and I got £1 2s 6d which had to last for a whole school term.
I was allowed to spend it on what I wanted (within reason) but when it ran out - tough luck - I had to wait for the next instalment which was the start of the next school term.
I did use some of it to buy 'My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean' by a guy who had the name of Tony Sheridan with The Beatles.
Wonder where that disc is now, Ho Hum...........

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1360601418' post='1973122']
Have stopped reading the thread but the coachloads visiting Paul's house evidences the fact that they are overrated. No-one is worthy of that nonsense.
[/quote]
You've probably upset a few on here now who are eagerly checking their coach tickets.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1360601418' post='1973122']
Have stopped reading the thread but the coachloads visiting Paul's house evidences the fact that they are overrated. No-one is worthy of that nonsense.[/quote]

In a pathetic attempt to make this the most quoted post ever in the history of BC - which will ensure a future of coachloads of jazz fans on buses visiting this thread............
In the dim & distant I once went on a bus-tour of Wolverhampton & surrounding areas which featured a taped commentary by one N Holder of Walsall. He took the P repeatedly & not always in a banter way, however in mitigation for the busload of fans and some soon to be ex-fans....
1) We were pissed
2) It was raining & there was nowt else to do
3) We were kids and knew no better,
4) Where we came from there was nothing worth travelling to look at in the same way.
5) We were very pissed
6) We later admitted it was a fairly sad thing to do.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360605797' post='1973243']
In the dim & distant I once went on a bus-tour of Wolverhampton & surrounding areas which featured a taped commentary by one N Holder of Walsall. He took the P repeatedly & not always in a banter way, however in mitigation for the busload of fans and some soon to be ex-fans....
1) We were pissed
2) It was raining & there was nowt else to do
3) We were kids and knew no better,
4) Where we came from there was nothing worth travelling to look at in the same way.
5) We were very pissed
6) We later admitted it was a fairly sad thing to do.
[/quote]
Now that's a trip worth going on. Did the coach driver come out with the old Noddy Holder joke about him trying on a suit in the 70s in a shop in Wolverhampton and the the tailor looking him up and down and saying "kipper tie?" and Noddy replying "yes please, two sugars".

Oh yes, - there was plenty of chances for us all to practise our Black Country accents. We even went to Pouk Hill,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHjfvppoBQQ

.... a place that once was a hill, but it now an ex-quarry park hole in the ground, used by them for an album cover pic in the middle of winter.

<_< psst! quick - put it back on topic!
:o what?
<_< PUT IT BACK ON TOPIC, THEY'RE LOOKING!!!

:huh: Oh yeah .......... Jimmy Lea rated McCartney. :sorry:

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360602600' post='1973158']
Absolutely. Let me at it.

And if I'm allowed to re-use influences from my "back catalogue" It would be much more straight forward to do.

The difference between what I've done so far and what The Beatles did, is that they had all day every day to work on the songs and recordings. Most of us here have had to juggle school/university/jobs with their musical activities. And then complicate that when all the members of your band have differing levels of availability at any one time, and the actual opportunities for you to come together and write, play and record rapidly diminish.

Looking at The Beatles situation as a creative person the opportunities and later the freedom they had are the important things that go towards being able to produce a varied and serious body of work.

I find it rather sad that there is a tendency for musicians here to throw themselves on their knees with a "we're not worthy!" attitude at the very mention of The Beatles, when instead you should be thinking "I could do that too".
[/quote]

Then do it. You've got no one to rely on you, partner, children. You could have chosen to do anything you want, like the members of the Beatles did. They were in their late teens when they went to Germany to cut their teeth, most of us could have taken similar choices at the same age. None of them had privileged backgrounds, they made a choice and worked to get where they did. If they had all day to write songs that's because they put in the ground work. Many other bands have had freedom and resources to do what they want after their initial success and haven't had the influence the Beatles did and others failed completely. Resources didn't make them what they became.

The what might have beens, what could be, the what ifs are all irrelevant, their achievements are a matter of record. I'm not even a big Beatles fan but acknowledge the level of influence they had on music and other musicians. Could others have done it? No one has, despite their best efforts.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1360604939' post='1973218']
That confirms to me what a complete f***wit you are
[/quote]
Oh dear! I was going to say that this thread has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous, but I think now is the time to disassociate myself from this thread :(

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1360422170' post='1970120']
The most over-rated band in history :P

Very influential etc but I have never actually listened to 90% of their stuff. Not hostile, just never went there.
[/quote]

Have to completely disagree, the most over-rated band in history is either Metallica, or ACDC.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360589548' post='1972794']
But give me and 3 of my musically inclined friends virtually unlimited studio time in a state of the art facility. Give us a sympathetic producer and a team of engineers ready to pander to our every sonic whim. Feed us a diet of previously unheard music and the occasional mind-altering drugs, and then outside of the studio surround us with the cream of innovative artists spanning the whole spectrum of creative endeavour, and I'm sure that we could come up with a series of albums every bit as varied and interesting as anything the Beatles did.
[/quote]

Most delusional post ever.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360586577' post='1972671']
Well that's told me hasn't it?

You can't beat the good old 'i'm right, you're wrong' attitude when someone dares to disagree can you?
[/quote]

Just before this thread gets locked inevitably as every thread over the past month has, to be quite honest I'm just a bit bored of the haters. What I'm saying is that you've offered no insight at all that bolsters your opinion that the Beatles have had no lasting influence on popular music at all. The evidence is very much there to prove that your opinion is flawed/wrong/whatever, it's why thesis's and countless books have been penned almost in an effort to understand the meteoric speed at which they were able to not only output music, but cast a vast tsunami of influence over decades of music that is still just as relevant as it was 40 odd years ago.

Unfortunately i've risen to it, and got more than a little pissed off over nothing, so I should apologise for that at least, I am admittedly a stubborn, stubborn bastard at times.

Edited by risingson

The idea that The Beatles sat on their arses for 7 years concocting songs out rambling s is nonsense. They were a global phonomemon and as such much of their time was taken up travelling to gigs, and undertaking endless interviews. Their output was as a result of the chemistry which happens when certain individuals interact.

Saying "I could do equally as good as them if I was on the same studio / place / surrounded by the same people" is a rather delusional comment.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1360609923' post='1973365']
Just before this thread gets locked inevitably as every thread over the past month has, to be quite honest I'm just a bit bored of the haters. What I'm saying is that you've offered no insight at all that bolsters your opinion that the Beatles have had no lasting influence on popular music at all. The evidence is very much there to prove that your opinion is flawed/wrong/whatever, it's why thesis's and countless books have been penned almost in an effort to understand the meteoric speed at which they were able to not only output music, but cast a vast tsunami of influence over decades of music that is still just as relevant as it was 40 odd years ago.

Unfortunately i've risen to it, and got more than a little pissed off over nothing, so I should apologise for that at least, I am admittedly a stubborn, stubborn bastard at times.
[/quote]
It's been a really lively debate and it just shows how passionate we all are about music. The Fabs were a phenomenon and as i said used to rush over to Twickenham Studios after school to see them while they were filming there.
As i said it's been a good thread and a bit of fun and we may all agree on a thread one day (blimey, that'll be boring!) and as Albert Ayler once said "Music Is The Healing Force Of The Universe".

Happy listening to whatever music turns you on!!!!

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1360604372' post='1973201']
Bloody Hell, you were rich.
I was 13 then and I got £1 2s 6d which had to last for a whole school term.
I was allowed to spend it on what I wanted (within reason) but when it ran out - tough luck - I had to wait for the next instalment which was the start of the next school term.
I did use some of it to buy 'My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean' by a guy who had the name of Tony Sheridan with The Beatles.
Wonder where that disc is now, Ho Hum...........
[/quote]

So it was you who bought it.. :D

He was probably playing the same circuit as Levine back in those days, I do know Roy Wood played for both bands at one time. I met him once, nice bloke. Still doing the odd gigs in Germany I believe, and has had an album out recently.

Living proof that your never to old eh ?

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360610925' post='1973398']
It's been a really lively debate and it just shows how passionate we all are about music. The Fabs were a phenomenon and as i said used to rush over to Twickenham Studios after school to see them while they were filming there.
As i said it's been a good thread and a bit of fun and we may all agree on a thread one day (blimey, that'll be boring!) and as Albert Ayler once said "Music Is The Healing Force Of The Universe".

Happy listening to whatever music turns you on!!!!
[/quote]

Cool. Apologies for being a cock.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1360610272' post='1973377']
Fail. And change your name.
[/quote]

I think once again things have got too heated. It's out of character for the poster in question.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1360603588' post='1973179']
Just because lots of people do a particular thing doesn't necessarily give it any validity (the iphone being the perfect example) ...it just proves that people are capable of unthinking herd like behaviour.
[/quote]

For anything as subjective as music, how would you define 'validity' ?

Could it not be that its validity stems largely from the very popularity you seem to decry?

The iPhone is, indeed, another example. It's popularity is undeniable, yet many people try to dismiss it out of hand as 'over-hyped' instead of just saying they don't like it (or, perhaps more accurately, they don't like its success ;) ).

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360608823' post='1973338']
Most delusional post ever.
[/quote]

Really?

Do you have so little ambition and confidence in your abilities that you don't think you could have a go at producing a series of recordings as diverse and interesting as The Beatles? I'll not expect any of us the be as popular, because it's all subjective and anyway the importance of popular music is a fraction of what it used to be in the 60s.