Why become a member? ×

Practise in your head

Roger2611

Having been playing bass for a good many years now I have noticed recently that I seem to have developed the ability to visulize a bassline, I don't actually need the song playing to visulize the bassline I can hear that in my head and just close my eyes and see my hand playing the bass. I learnt Going Underground last night, been listening to it since it came out but had never played it before, now today I can close my eyes and see note for note the bass part.

Am I weird or should I consult a doctor?

Edited by Roger2611

Think this kind of thing came up before?
Composing I can sometimes hear in my head what I want to play, but can't always get it :)
I think most of us that have played a few years (and those fortunate people that have a good ear from the start) can hear and visualise what notes are being played in a lot of Pop/ popular music.
I could be wrong...

Edit: Yes your definitely a nut case.

Edited by Highfox

The problem with practising in your head , although very worthwhile in certain ways , is that it only improves the parts of your playing that are in your head . To get your basslines out to the general public you need to translate any improvements in your understanding into your hands and onto your bass . Being able to recognise and visualise what you hear being played is a big step , but you have to practise with a bass in your hands to turn it into real improvement in your own playing .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1360353053' post='1969287']
The problem with practising in your head , although very worthwhile in certain ways , is that it only improves the parts of your playing that are in your head . To get your basslines out to the general public you need to translate any improvements in your understanding into your hands and onto your bass . Being able to recognise and visualise what you hear being played is a big step , but you have to practise with a bass in your hands to turn it into real improvement in your own playing .
[/quote]Amen brother. Muscle memory is a big part.

I used to be able to practice tap dancing in my head. I could sit on the bus going over and over a difficult step. It definitely helped me improve certain things I was trying to perfect.
I can't do it with bass playing though. I think you have to reach a certain level of competence to be able to visualise it in your head, and I am really not there yet.

I fully agree but it's nice being able to work during the day get paid and all the time being able to concentrate on what really matters, when I get home and actually pick up the bass I have had a full days mental rehearsal easing me into the physical side

[/quote]
I think it goes without saying that it's not an alternative to actually picking up your instrument and practising in a proper fashion.

[/quote]

I notice my language limits are showing, but:

If you're only talking about improving one's playing abilities in general, then I'm with you.

However, I get the idea that you're also saying that one can not (almost) totally prepare a certain song or piece for a gig or concert without having played it.
In case, I disagree.
Or: in fact, it's wrong.
When one reaches an adequate level of mastering the instrument and the visualisation, this is not a problem, provided the visualisation doesn't stop in the vision department, but also incorporates "visualising" the necessary movements and tensions: as in programming the brain with the signals it will have to send to the muscles later (yes, my English isn't adequate here - I hope you still understand).

Exactly this was my preferred concert preparation: always saving time by preparing one of the pieces without playing it, only reading it on the commuter train, thinking about it and making notes - - with the exception of the last few days before the concert, which were used for ironing out some mistakes and quirks.
A process like this would normally take three months or so, but I was a slow one, and could easily use five to six months on a concert programme.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360355947' post='1969388']

I notice my language limits are showing, but:

If you're only talking about improving one's playing abilities in general, then I'm with you.

However, I get the idea that you're also saying that one can not (almost) totally prepare a certain song or piece for a gig or concert without having played it.
In case, I disagree.
Or: in fact, it's wrong.
When one reaches an adequate level of mastering the instrument and the visualisation, this is not a problem, provided the visualisation doesn't stop in the vision department, but also incorporates "visualising" the necessary movements and tensions: as in programming the brain with the signals it will have to send to the muscles later (yes, my English isn't adequate here - I hope you still understand).

Exactly this was my preferred concert preparation: always saving time by preparing one of the pieces without playing it, only reading it on the commuter train, thinking about it and making notes - - with the exception of the last few days before the concert, which were used for ironing out some mistakes and quirks.
A process like this would normally take three months or so, but I was a slow one, and could easily use five to six months on a concert programme.

best,
bert
[/quote]What he said!

There's plenty you can do to help yourself improve and to make a better job of playing the bass without a bass in your hands , but the final yard i.e the actual execution of the playing , is the bit that counts in the end . That's all I'm trying to say . For example , I started recording my practise sessions and listening back to them the next day and making mental notes of where I need to improve things when I get on my bass again that the evening , and I have found that has been very helpful to me making some improvements in certain areas . Preparation can help , but there is no substitute for playing .

I presume we're on different tracks here, coz I still don't exactly get what you are and are not talking about.

Right now I get the impression it's about improving the playing quality on a track you do already know. In case, I agree with you on that as well.

I realise there are many fine lines here as to what one talks about.

Anyway,

best,
bert