Why become a member? ×

Jason Newstead is back!

Got excited by this thread, but was disappointed by the music. Sadly, this is just strolling. What's so cool about minor thirds up and minor thirds down?
Couldn't make it through the whole song even, which is rare for me.
I hope the other stuff has more bite to it.

best,
bert

Great to hear Jason making music. It's a good song, typical Newsted driving beat, good riffs. Refreshingly honest and lacking in pretensions. I just wish the production was a little more 'heavy'. There is a monster of a groove at 02:10. It's been a while since I listened to metal and thought 'f*** yeah', but there we go.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1359497812' post='1955871']
I'm the only one who liked it then? :P

Nothing special, but enjoyable enough IMO. Might sound like any other given 80s thrash song but since I love that era of metal I'm not complaining.

[/quote]

+1. I didn't say I didn't like it; I thought it was actually alright, just nothing special.

I quite like it too. Never rated Newsted as a vocalist and still don't after that but he was always my favourite Metallica bassist.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1359497706' post='1955869']
They're not the prettiest band I've seen. It's very 'early Metallica' too...
[/quote]

+1. Reminds me of "Whiplash" slightly.

The middle section was pretty groovy too, i thought.

Paul

It [i]is[/i] a bit derivative... especially the vocals. Nice to hear the bass played in "normal" registers though - no detuning or five/six string basses. That has become (IMO) so dull in metal in the last few years.

I quite liked it! :D

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1359539974' post='1956195']
It [i]is[/i] a bit derivative... especially the vocals. Nice to hear the bass played in "normal" registers though - no detuning or five/six string basses. That has become (IMO) so dull in metal in the last few years.
[/quote]

There was a period where it seemed like every bass was being detuned to stupid new lows in metal. Meaning that records sounded terrible, even on a good hi-fi capable of reproducing some of the bass sound. I have always preferred guitars tuned to E or Eflat for metal tunes. They sound as tight as feck then.

for what it is, I quite liked it. The lyrics aren't going to win any awards, that's for sure :P I do agree that it sounds too thin with only one guitar (the guitar solo part being the exception, cos there were two guitar tracks for that)

the groove riff at 2:10 is really nice though :)

Edited by jackers

[quote name='paulpirie8' timestamp='1359538929' post='1956180']
+1. Reminds me of "Whiplash" slightly.
[/quote]

Does sound a lot like a guy that's major influence was early metallica jsut running with that. Which is probably exactly what it is. Not like Metallica are doing it any more, so guess there is an opening.