Why become a member? ×

Which Drummer?

chaypup

We have 2 drummers auditioning for us this week.
From checking out their videos and having seen their shows I know they're both really good.

One of them has his own studio and record label and lives pretty close to the rest of us.

The other one lives about half an hour away.... but she looks really sexy on stage!

Everyone (in the band, and Mrs Chaypup and friends) says choose the girl!

What would you honestly do?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1359386293' post='1953914']
One or both of them will turn out to be total psychos so your decision will be pretty straightforward once you've met them. :)
[/quote]

I thought psychos didn't reveal their true nature until after a load of rehearsals and halfway through the first gig?

Or is that just our last singer......?

I'm not sure about the novelty value getting you any extra gigs, unless you really work it by putting her at the front or buying her a Perspex kit or something.

We had a girl drummer. Not a lot of people took that much notice of her, as she was stuck at the back anyway (except when she swapped places with the singer for Highway to Hell.

She ended up having an affair with one of the guitarists so the whole thing went sour!

Go with the one that fits best with whatever your plans for the band are.

The luxury of choice...impossible to say until you have met and played with them. Depends on who fits in best both musically and personality-wise.... I guess it depends on what kind of band it is, but if you're serious about the music, I certainly wouldn't base such a decision on gender. Looking sexy is fine for attracting leering blokes, but if you actually want people to listen to you then it's an irrelevance.

Choose the one that has the best blend of ability and enthusiasm. One of the bands I'm in has a drummer who is both sh*te and not very enthusiastic but is the singers brother (so I we can't sack him). A good drummer is worth his weight in kebabs. So don't let a good one go, even if he/she is bald and fat and unattractive.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1359386717' post='1953925']I thought psychos didn't reveal their true nature until after a load of rehearsals and halfway through the first gig?

Or is that just our last singer......?[/quote]

Yeah that can happen. I tend to steer well clear of anyone who looks even remotely fragile these days. Too much hassle trying to sack them later when they've blown off rehearsals because they were tired or gigs because it was snowing.

So, we've auditioned both drummers.

Both are great players.
Both are musical and heard and adapted to the dynamics of the rest of the band.
Both improvised well when we threw in unexpected changes.
Both can do backing vocals well.
Both are really lovely people and seemed easy to get on with (and we discovered we have mutual friends with both)

But James just edged it. Largely to do with the fact that he's very proactive and set up a record label with his old band and
just has a bit more experience.

However, Rhian is also a great percussionist and as our last guy has just left she fits into that space nicely, and she's a ready-made
dep for any gigs that James can't do.

So, a good result I think!