Why become a member? ×

Warwick thumb with a bent neck

Slimriddim

Hi there,
I have a 2003 Warwick thumb "Bleach blonde" that was beautiful to play when I first got it but gradually the action got way high to the point that I couldn't do anything about it with the truss rod. This thing is totally unplayable now.
For the money that Warwick's cost you'd expect the neck to be solid.
It has been kept side by side with my '96' Corvette F.N.A, which is perfect, so not an atmospheric issue and it's never been dropped.
Has anyone else had these issues and are Warwick likely to help? Not sure who I could contact...

All input appreciated, thanks.

Kev.

Edited by Slimriddim

[quote name='Slimriddim' timestamp='1359369467' post='1953519']
[/quote]

Anything can fail though. I've heard of the graphite necks shifting on some Zon basses, resulting in them being unplayable. At best, needing a replacement neck. At worst, one something like a one piece, monocoque Legacy, the whole bass is made useless.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1359371842' post='1953565']
Maybe the trussrod is simply not working anymore or it snapped at some point.
You can contact Warwick directly by sending an e-mail to [email protected] which will most likely be replied to by Hans Peter Wilfer himself....
[/quote]
That's true, and he is likely to tell you that you can send the bass back to them for a small fortune, and for a slightly larger fortune they will look at it, and probably tell you that, for an amount slightly larger than the GDP of many nations, you can have it fixed.

At least, that's about how helpful he was when the electrics in my three-year old Thumb went last year.

I have seen fantastic customer service from them, but it seems to be that if it's still under warranty then they treat you well, and if not, then they take the p.

I've owned upwards of 50 Warwick basses (not willy waving just stating to put in context), mostly older ones but I've never had a neck go that bad (or even a bit shonky)! However, any instrument manufacturer can have a bad one now and again... I've seen plenty wonky F*nd*rs. :ph34r: :D

As has been indicated it will NOT be cheap to have it sorted by Warwick, you will be better off seeing if anyone in the UK/local can look at it but it wouldn't do any harm at all to get in touch with Warwick and see what they say; you might get a pleasant surprise!

Hi [color=#282828]Kev,[/color]

[color=#282828]Welcome to BC. I hope we can help you.[/color]

Wood that's well seasoned before it's used won't normally change shape much later in life unless it's subjected to heat or damp (not the case in your Thumb). So the main cause is probably the strings and truss rod.

Assuming this bass is looking like it's slowly getting it's nut to touch it's toes with the bridge; if this were mine, I would waste no time in getting the strings losened and check if the truss rod can be tightened. If the truss rod nut is all lose, I would remove the strings completely before it goes crazy.

We all hope and pray for you that this is a bolt on neck... but is it?

If it is, you could remove the neck and see about getting a new neck - you could contact Warwick, with the bass serial number etc and ask for prices.

If it's not, I'd be looking for a good luthier to make it into a bolt-on. My initial thoughts would be John Shucker, but others may know of other good guys out there.

Cheers
Rich

Edited by Grangur

As this is a limited edition Thumb, it is a bolt on design but I am afraid there will be no stock replacement necks available for it.

Also, by 2003 Warwick were not using any replaceable truss rods anymore. If the truss does not work any longer you're most probably looking at the entire fretboard having to be removed to reach and replace the trussrod (if they can't pull it out the other side). If Warwick can replace the neck it will not be cheap, the other option is having it fixed by a skilled luthier. I'm afraid this is some seriously bad luck you ran into. Otherwise I have lots of good experience with Warwick as a brand.

Edited by DiMarco

Hey Kev

This may sound strange but i have worked on a few warwicks in the past that had their truss rods installed upside down / the wrong way around so they reacted the oposite to what you expect them to!

You expect clockwise turns to straighten the neck and anti clockwise to add more bow / relief.

Have you checked that it is operating the right way around?

Edited by CHRISDABASS

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1359405251' post='1954344']
Hey Kev

This may sound strange but i have worked on a few warwicks in the past that had their truss rods installed upside down / the wrong way around so they reacted the oposite to what you expect them to!

You expect clockwise turns to straighten the neck and anti clockwise to add more bow / relief.

[/quote]
This sounds, to a novice like me, great news. Is this something that can be put right easily?

Cheers
Rich

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1359405251' post='1954344']
Hey Kev

[/quote]

^ What he said ^ ... although I've never heard of that on a newer Warwick. It's definately worth investigating though

I have two Warwicks in the house at the moment (91) where the rods don't go 'righty-tighty' they work exactly the opposite to every other rod available and I had one a good few years ago the same, which I got for a song because the truss rod adjuster was completely chewed up as the owner had been wrenching away trying to correct it in the wrong direction! :rolleyes:

Cheers for all the input. The truss rod does work in the conventional right hand thread way... I took it to a local tech a while back and he concluded that it was mismatched or un-seasoned wood and just bad luck - there is a ridge both sides, where the fretboard joins the neck, like the wood has shrunk.... The bass looks identical to the one DiMarco put up - No3 of 171 so I'll never get a matching neck and I would rather have a playable instrument than some useless ornament.
There is a standard neck on ebay... Not as pretty but hopefully straight....see how that goes.

Cheers, Kev.

Have you contacted Warwick about it? I had one of the first Corvette Proline 6s and the neck went bad on that. My luthier called their UK distributor who contacted Warwick who asked to see the neck so we sent them the bass. They declared that it was a badly designed neck and replaced it for me free of charge. Took about a month to turn it around.

It might be worth contacting them to see if they want to put it right for you before you start looking at spending a ton of money on a replacement.

There is no reason for them not to be able to make a replacement to the same specs as yours, if the luthier has said it is poorly matched wood then I would contact Warwick, they pride themselves on their manufacturing and if you can show that this is not a mistreated bass rather a deep seated issue present from when it was built then they might replace it?

If its badly seasoned wood, or mismatched, it is an inherent fault with the manufacture. That is to say the fault existed before the symptoms were obvious, and before the warranty expired. As a result Warwick SHOULD replace the neck for you - they may choose not to, and I think a lot of people on here would be surprised if they did, but before you go buying a neck off eBay you should definitely speak to Warwick first and find out where you stand.

Someone at Warwick regularly visits this forum and posts in Warwick-related threads, posting under the name "[url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/24139-warwick-official/"]Warwick_Official[/url]". I'm sure he'll chime in on your problem soon.

I had a warwick streamer in the early 90s which was a late 80s model that the neck was twisted, at that time the truss rods were not steel and this caused them to twist, i had mine repaired by j diggins of jeedee guitars , warwick sent me a new truss rod he cut the fretboard at the second fret to get access to the rod replaced the rod re glued the fretboard on you couldnt tell anything had been done to it but he is a proffesional luthier hopr this helps

[quote name='Slimriddim' timestamp='1359369467' post='1953519']
Hi there,
I have a 2003 Warwick thumb "Bleach blonde" that was beautiful to play when I first got it but gradually the action got way high to the point that I couldn't do anything about it with the truss rod. This thing is totally unplayable now.
It has been kept side by side with my '96' Corvette F.N.A, which is perfect, so not an atmospheric issue and it's never been dropped.
Has anyone else had these issues and are Warwick likely to help? Not sure who I could contact...

All input appreciated, thanks.

Kev.
[/quote] where are you based? We will be able to recomend local luthiers to you! It should be fixable I would have thought/hoped

As mentioned give Jon Shuker a shout. He will either repair or replace

You might be pleasantly surprised at the cost of a replacement.

He just repaired my GB the bill... Well I had change which was paper and the purple queen colour ones at that from my 100 quid guesstimate
But it's no 20 quid fix

Also the Bass Gallery might be able help.

And don't forget any local acoustic guitar builder's of which there are many. They might be acoustic makers but I'd be dammed with they don't know their way around and sort of stringed instrument Thrown at them
Initial prognosis would be the truss rod is fernucked.

Edited by ZenBasses