Why become a member? ×

The 10 Best Bassplayers On You Tube

Lowender

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1359286129' post='1952404']
I can't help feeling that a lot of this is Sport rather than music but I am also aware that the standard of these players in terms of core skills is a lot higher than it was in the past and that should be applauded. Aspiring to make a mark on youtube is pretty tragic, IMO, and playing other people's stuff ('bass covers' I think they call them) is a really odd way to spend your time.

I am aware, however, that this is like as not a generational thing and I, as a nearly 50 year old, am going to have a different perspective on the issue than 'the kids'. And that is as it should be. Better that they do this than smoke crack in a urine soaked stair well, I say ;)
[/quote]

I don't understand this statement at all. It seems resentful towards talented people who want to express themselves. Or maybe toward those who take a different path. That's ANTI music to me. It's also ill informed.

I don't think most of the players in question are just playing tricks and showing technique, nor are they just doing covers. Does playing a jazz standard considered "doing a cover?" Since when are recordings irrelevant and only live performances are justified?

Are they leaving a mark? Well, yeah. It's on Youtube! lol That may not mean much but 50 years ago, guys who played sessions for scale and expected a song to last a few weeks and then die off are now considered legends. They may not be rich but they have a legacy , however small. It's something. This isn't a competitive sport. It's art. At least I thought it was supposed to be. And art stands on its own.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1359295766' post='1952580']
Right so we're agreed then. Nobody do anything musically unless it the height of artistic and musical expression. If you aren't doing anything to advance your career or to play with others then just don't do it. No enjoying yourself. No playing your instruments just for something to do. And definitely no recording of yourself playing along to anything. Don't play covers. We only want the purest, form of original music.
[/quote]

Correct. It's either that or become a crack addict. There are no other choices. lol

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359294087' post='1952553']
But are they marking any kind of mark beyond the on-line world.
[/quote]

I'd suggest that the "on-line world" reaches a great deal further than the physical one. Playing to 50 people down the Dog & Duck isn't making much of a mark is it - or even playing to a few thousand in a theatre - when a YouTube video can be watched by millions.

I really don't understand all the animosity. Perhaps it's because people feel threatened in some way? Or perhaps it's because musicians playing bloody hard for a relative pittance with little chance of ever making it big, get upset that other people just do it for their own fun and contentment as a hobby?

People uploading bass covers doesn't bother me at all, you don't have to watch them. The only time I sought out bass covers on YT was when I was playing covers myself and (rarely) needed to check something that I couldn't quite figure out by ear - to be honest though, most were not that useful as their interpretation was less accurate than mine (imho)... ;)

But if people want to do it - let 'em do it I say - there's no stopping 'em anyway and why would you want to..?

I think its a vanity thing. l just see a lot of people in bedrooms playing their nuts off to no real purpose just doing the music shop thing in the biggest shop window in the world. Scott Devine is doing a great job with direction. Most of it s pointless vanity.

I've learned a lot from t'internet. Certainly more than from some useless teachers that i have been stupid enough to pay.

Overall i don't think it harms anyone. I like Marlowe a lot - always comes across as a decent chap and hes given a lot of time and effort.

Is it a substitute for proper learning and accumulation of knowledge. No, but it is a useful tool.

It's nothing new. People have been shredding in their bedrooms for years. Who doesn't play their bass alone, at home sometimes? I like to load up iTunes and go through a few songs with my bass. If I filmed it and put it on the net, I'd be doing just the same as most of the people in this thread. Certainly, we're better for having these videos to enjoy. I remember when youtube was a 'new' thing and there were very few videos of bassists on there. It's all changed now!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1359308004' post='1952833']
I think its a vanity thing. l just see a lot of people in bedrooms playing their nuts off to no real purpose just doing the music shop thing in the biggest shop window in the world. Scott Devine is doing a great job with direction. Most of it s pointless vanity.
[/quote]

Playing music that reaches thousand of people is pointless? Huh. Who woulda guessed? And what is it that you do?

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1359312795' post='1952949']
Film away if you must, but please think about location. At least make the bed and take the towel off the door.
[/quote]

and if you really cant be arsed to put yer shoes on, wear clean socks. THIS is the real crime.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1359310937' post='1952905']
It's nothing new. People have been shredding in their bedrooms for years. Who doesn't play their bass alone, at home sometimes?
[/quote]

Er... well I do regularly, for one. Usually to a recording of our last rehearsal - hopefully to improve the next.

Playing along to records in my bedroom was the hugely important part of me learning to play the bass , and one of the most enjoyable . I still love playing along to records at home and working out the bass part , or making up my own . Is that supposed to be wrong now ?

I too have picked up plenty of stuff to help my playing from the internet , and I think it's just as valid a source of information as any other . I could do without seeing another Flea or Victor Wooten wannabe , but that's just my own personal prejudice and I can always choose to watch something else . Amongst the dross you can find some really thought - provoking and inspiring stuff on YouTube , and it's hard to imagine the world without it nowadays , to be honest .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359207352' post='1951553']
So, a question for those Basschatters who have made a YouTube bass video.

Have you received any offers of musical work or been asked to join a band as a result of it?
[/quote]

I know of two who have, not sure about Dave Marks but pretty sure he has too,

Dan Houser became the bassist for metal band Veil of Maya after they saw a vid on his YT channel of his version of a section of one of their tracks and later on ended up playing with them at a show by chance. Asked to join after that when their bassist left.

I guess that's half and half though.

TonyDickinsonBG i know definitely has, he played one Daniele Liverani's most recent album (IIRC most recent) and Daniele asked him after watching a few of his covers.

I think actually Mark Michelle joined Scale the Summit after they heard his stuff via some youtube things too.

One example of the internet being a big tool as well would be the "Djent" band Periphery, they made it through Youtube/Forums orginating from Dream theater and Meshuggah covers which people liked and kept them interested as Misha Mansoor (band leader of Periphery) would start to upload covers, and then orginals and he already had peoples attentions.

I find it all a bit pointless but I do find my self entertained, especially when people add stuff which is their own, or just to see someone have fun with a tune I like. I guess if someone enjoys it, and enjoys watching it great. Doesn't really bother me, the internet is full of pointless rubbish anyway (and this post is no exception!)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1359294087' post='1952553']
But are they marking any kind of mark beyond the on-line world. Is the height of their musical ambitions raking up the hit and "like" count for their videos and perhaps a bit of ad money? I can see the point if they are using the videos as a way of selling their abilities as musicians, but is it working? Have any of them got any regular musical work in the real world as a result of making their videos?

I'm not denying that there are some good technical skills to be learnt from some of these players, but none of them appear to be teaching what is IMO the most valuable musical lesson of all - how to interact with other musicians in the real world. Practicing at home improves my technical ability, but I learn far more about music and playing every time I set foot in a rehearsal room, at a song writing session, in the studio, or on stage with other musicians present.
[/quote]yeah maybe they are making a mark.. you dont have to sign a record deal to make a mark. for sure its invaluble to interact with other musicians, but along the way people make vids of themselves playing bass... whats this obsession with making money from your craft to make a mark in music... times are changing. its a video.. for some it might be a bedroom thing to pass the time, for others it might be a vid to show off there chops while there making there bread live.. who knows.. who cares.. they entertain me... thats what music is all about... looking down your nose at musicians because they want to post vids of them selves is a little hypocritical imo

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1359330600' post='1953274']
NICE! But Victor is hardly an unknown, no?
[/quote]thats not Victor Bailey dude.. wrong color ;) his bass is a Victor Bailey Fender Jazz signature.. think his name is Ton Jardin.. imo a perfect example of a great unknown youtube bassist.. as far as i know he has no record deal.. or does not play for a band that has such

Edited by soul deluxe