Why become a member? ×

The 10 Best Bassplayers On You Tube

Lowender

[quote name='robbiano' timestamp='1359450171' post='1954796']
Apologies if this is a daft question - Is that the guy from Barcelona??? Seen him/someone like him playing in the street many times.. Funky as it gets B)
[/quote]

Yes that's him. I've bumped into him a few times too he's a great player. I don't normally like solo bass at all but he's got taste.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1359447951' post='1954771']
Nobody has mentioned this guy yet! :o

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x2i7AmCHXM[/media]

BTW, Youtube is all things to all people. Anyone expecting to like all of it is simply naive or deluding themselves.
[/quote]

That guy owns that style of playing, but I can't help but think of it as "music store" chops.

When it comes to slapping, it's all been said by Louis Johnson anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another one from Spain. Bear in mind that she has only been playing bass since 2010!!! In fact, she could qualify for the 'Funk and Groove' thread I believe.

What a talent:

http://youtu.be/u_AI2v-4DTs

Edited by GILLY

I for one have been inspired by some of the stuff i have seen on YouTube and have gained a lot of playing technique tips e.t.c. Scott Divine being a great example of this.

You can be a sh.t hot bass player and not be in a band or play live, it isn't compulsory or a waste of time its a choice, one of the most amazing guitarists I have seen is on YouTube and isn't in a band at the moment, he does it for fun. My own experience is it is hard to find a group of people who,

A) Get along
B Aren't egotistical kn..heads
C) Want to play the same style stuff
D) Want to be a part of a musically tight unit working as one and not the solo kid

The list goes on!

If you can find the right people bands are cool and a great experience, if not they can be a nightmare and a complete waste of time and effort. Each to there own in my opinion if YouTube is your showcase fair enough, as long as you get a buzz from your playing where ever its done, bedroom, YouTube, local pub, 02 Arena. I have met a lot of session players over the years with great reading skills and can play anything put in front of them, but I have also met quite a few who have no real feel or vibe in there playing and without being told what to play, cant really jam with any real emotion.

I await the mass attack for the last statement, but I have found it very common in your typical music degree type musician, not all by any means but in my experience quite a few.

Each to there own, if you don't like it don't watch it ;)

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1360443774' post='1970660']
I for one have been inspired by some of the stuff i have seen on YouTube and have gained a lot of playing technique tips e.t.c. Scott Divine being a great example of this.

You can be a sh.t hot bass player and not be in a band or play live, it isn't compulsory or a waste of time its a choice, one of the most amazing guitarists I have seen is on YouTube and isn't in a band at the moment, he does it for fun. My own experience is it is hard to find a group of people who,

A) Get along
D) Want to be a part of a musically tight unit working as one and not the solo kid

The list goes on!

If you can find the right people bands are cool and a great experience, if not they can be a nightmare and a complete waste of time and effort. Each to there own in my opinion if YouTube is your showcase fair enough, as long as you get a buzz from your playing where ever its done, bedroom, YouTube, local pub, 02 Arena. I have met a lot of session players over the years with great reading skills and can play anything put in front of them, but I have also met quite a few who have no real feel or vibe in there playing and without being told what to play, cant really jam with any real emotion.

I await the mass attack for the last statement, but I have found it very common in your typical music degree type musician, not all by any means but in my experience quite a few.

Each to there own, if you don't like it don't watch it ;)
[/quote]

I think you're absolutely right -- about the variables of finding the right people (especially after age 25) and how some session guys are great at reading but can't groove with a band. Some guys on YT are good teachers but I find the ones doing something artistic more interesting. I've seen enough slap-masters to last a lifetime. I'm also pretty good at it myself and almost never use it, so it's hardly what I seek. But there will always be talented people doing interesting things and if YT is the only place to be heard, I respect anyone who does it. (Who does it well at least).

I've got one playalong vid on youtube, recorded at the request of a potential band and only put on youtube as a convenient way of sharing it. I got a comment from a guy: "Stop showing off. No one cares." It surprised me mainly as the song is child's play compared to most of the show off pieces on youtube. The real kicker was I replied saying it was recorded for a band and he apologized and then deleted the comment. I just find it odd that some people judge this stuff entirely on motive, when really any musician who performs at all is showing off in a sense.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1360466209' post='1970924']
I've got one playalong vid on youtube, recorded at the request of a potential band and only put on youtube as a convenient way of sharing it. I got a comment from a guy: "Stop showing off. No one cares." It surprised me mainly as the song is child's play compared to most of the show off pieces on youtube. The real kicker was I replied saying it was recorded for a band and he apologized and then deleted the comment. I just find it odd that some people judge this stuff entirely on motive, when really any musician who performs at all is showing off in a sense.
[/quote]

LOL. right, how DARE you play music in public!

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1360443774' post='1970660']
My own experience is it is hard to find a group of people who,

A) Get along

The list goes on!
[/quote]

It certainly does, and I'm reminded of the old saying that any band will make it eventually if only they can stay together long enough for it to happen! I don't know about that, but persistence must certainly count for something.

I think davidsin is a really decent player but his plucking hand attack and general tone winds me up the wrong way - little obnoxious and sounds like a Flea clone. Like I say, that's not to disregard his ability - he is skilled.

[quote name='Calridian' timestamp='1361054805' post='1980560']
I'm sure the music style is not to everyones taste.

Relaxed and effortless
[/quote]

Twas very much to my taste. Thanks for posting. Must check out his band(s).
Sad he'd edit this one it so that any musical enjoyment is lost in the snippets.

BTW, your avatar! What you doin' wit my sapphire black Bongo 4-HH?
Oh, and welcome to BC!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Nah! That's not a BassTractor! It's a DoubleBassTractor! A DoubleBassTractor avatar would indeed have been embarassing for a bass guitarist.

LOL at a great post and a great find. My original avatar was another BassTractor, a Case IIRC, but then one of the central people on BC required that all avatars contain a CAT, so I had to comply. :)

I did manage to check out some of one of his bands. Sounded much intriguing, but the headphones I wore may have been not good enough. Will return, and hope they also have songs without the growl singing dominating so much.

BTW, isn't that bog seat of ours a MöNSTëR?

best,
bert

[quote name='Calridian' timestamp='1361054805' post='1980560']
I'm sure the music style is not to everyones taste.

Relaxed and effortless

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11V8cP4s51Q[/media]
[/quote]

That's the kind of stuff represents what's both good and bad about where the bass is going.

It takes great skill and the guy is outstanding at it, but instead of it being a technique that is used on occasion, it BECOMES the music. It IS the music. And it's just licks. No melody, no groove, nothing of interest other than a few seconds of flash. It ultimately becomes like looking at the same magic trick over and over. There are a lot of guys doing this type of thing who can't play a blues.

I respect the ability but I'd rather hear people making music with a bass.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1361121890' post='1981372']
It takes great skill and the guy is outstanding at it, but instead of it being a technique that is used on occasion, it BECOMES the music. It IS the music. And it's just licks. No melody, no groove, nothing of interest other than a few seconds of flash. It ultimately becomes like looking at the same magic trick over and over. There are a lot of guys doing this type of thing who can't play a blues.
[/quote]

I think I understand where you're coming from, but have you heard the complete songs? These snippets become insufferable indeed, but they are just snippets. The complete songs might offer more.

Not saying you're wrong, mind. just asking a question. If your opinion is about the complete songs, then of course that's a different matter altogether.

FWIW, if the song is well-written, these licks do not annoy me the least, nor does the exposition of flashy technique, nor does the lack of "musical" performance - within this style, I'd think that "musical" performance would be in the way, as other forces in case would drive the song, like detail changes within chords, licks and rhythms.

best,
bert

I completely understand your comments. However, I have to admit that I do like it as my musical taste is so eclectic, which I'm sure is like that of many bass chat members.

Even just this morning I used my four strings to play Mr Wonders ‘Sir Duke’ and quickly followed it with Pantera’s ‘Cowboys from Hell’

As I originally posted it wasn’t going to be to everyone taste. But you have to admire the technical ability.

I also posted to the ‘Underrated bass players’ with a comment of “Sometimes isn't it just about locking it in..... Not about how flashy, or how many notes!”

And I must wholeheartedly agree with Bert, and not just 'cos he has a great taste in basses.....

Is it not diversity and appreciation of all styles which makes us all that bit better. :)

Edited by Calridian