Why become a member? ×

I lost my mojo somewhere in the 80's

morsefull

Doug Pinnick is 62 and still one of the coolest bassists on the planet imho. Don't worry lads age is not the issue. Behaviour is so get out there and behave like a little kid with a really big toy (talking about your bass here).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX9YouDpaHU

A real problem I'm facing is most of my musician buddies started having lives beside the music (wifes, kids, homes, jobs to tend to) and it gets harder to get together. Where I used to ring up my buds saying "let's jam tonight" nowadays its "can we jam in three weeks time?" I am currently 44 years old.

I miss kinda the pontaneousness of it all, everything has to be "organized" these days...

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1359056069' post='1949231']
...most of my musician buddies started having lives beside the music (wifes, kids, homes, jobs to tend to) and it gets harder to get together. Where I used to ring up my buds saying "let's jam tonight" nowadays its "can we jam in three weeks time?" I am currently 44 years old.
[/quote]

Had this problem for a while, but I'm out the other side - the kids can look after themselves now and it's regression ahoy! :D

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1359056069' post='1949231']
Doug Pinnick is 62 and still one of the coolest bassists on the planet imho. Don't worry lads age is not the issue. Behaviour is so get out there and behave like a little kid with a really big toy (talking about your bass here).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX9YouDpaHU

[/quote]
The point is that dUG has always been cool, so why should be stop now he's 62??

Most of the people posting on here are from the rock & roll generation(s) i.e. late 40s, 50s & 60s - growing up is kinda optional...!

Maybe lose a little weight and don't dress or act like an old man (but don't dress like a kid either) but generally just be yourself....

I think its all about how you feel within yourself. I'm going through a crisis of age at the moment I have been looking for a band or someone to jam with as I'm starting to stall with my progression on learning bass so I think getting out there & stepping out of my comfort zone would be good for me.
But most of the adverts I'm seeing are asking for bass players in their 20's (I'm 36) I have to admit it is really bothering me & it made me ask if there was any point in carrying on playing bass any more & my enthusiasm is waning away.

To give you a idea I'm 36 years old and have lost all useful traces of my hair so I am feeling a lot older than my years, So now I'm thinking that my style of clothes should change to suit my age, I don't want to look like I'm hanging onto my youth but I also don't want to feel old either, Sometimes the you get a thought in your head & it can change the way you see yourself & I have to admit with all joking aside it's knocked me for six.

I'm in a similar situation to the OP, I'm almost 55 and the rest of the band are in their late 20's early 30's There are differences musical taste wise but nothing ageist. I'm old, fat and have no hair and I take the piss out of myself on the those 3 things because there are people in this world who are dying from something horrible, starving....... so (for me), being worried how I look etc is not an issue as I've put it prospective.

In this age there is more emphasis and what you look like and your age rather than who you are and what you can do, it sucks big time but that's the world we now all live in.

There is lots of good advice in this thread but as a few have stated before, BE YOURSELF