Why become a member? ×

Great song but boring to play bass!

gub

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1358933038' post='1947132']
often it's the simplest parts that are the most fun
[/quote]

my previous function band we use to do mavericks dance the night away - this is a good example of this - very simple line but a moderate challenge to play it fluidly and once the crowd are up shaking their booty on the dance floor you cannot help get caught up in the enjoyment of the whole thing

Most of my favourite bass lines are the pedal type (no not a moogerfooger) the ones where the bass holds down one note all the way through whilst the chords shift around above. Without the pedal the songs are wishy washy, the bass determines the harmonic structure of everything above it. "The Whole of the Moon" "Wild Wood" "Ghetto life" "Midlife Crisis" etc. etc. all work because the bass player is holding down one note.
And I absolutely love the feeling I get when my one note changes personality throughout the song!

Also, if its an open string I get to have a drink while everyone else is working hard :P

We do One Day Like This by Elbow. Wonderful song, but the bassline is just octave E's ( the original is, I think, in Eb or F ) all the way through until very nearly the end. When it does change to following the tune near the end though, the effect is quite dramatic.

I love playing basic bass lines, when doing gigs it gave me more freedom to dance about & be silly.

I always see being a bass player-ist as being part of a team, sometimes you have to be the team player & hold a solid foundation, at the end of it all its what comes out of the speakers & how it is received by the listener that counts

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1358939404' post='1947258']
Most of my favourite bass lines are the pedal type (no not a moogerfooger) the ones where the bass holds down one note all the way through whilst the chords shift around above. Without the pedal the songs are wishy washy, the bass determines the harmonic structure of everything above it. "The Whole of the Moon" "Wild Wood" "Ghetto life" "Midlife Crisis" etc. etc. all work because the bass player is holding down one note.
[/quote]

Alright now.
Under pressure (intro)
Smoke on the water (intro)

Love pedal tone bass lines myself too.

What's Up-4 Non Blondes...............A,B,D. That's it all the way through, slight change in emphasis on the notes in between beginning of the verse and the second part of the verse and play louder in the chorus.......boring to play...f*** yeah, but as a set finisher with the "hey yay yay yay" singalong chorus for us it's a absolutely cracking set finisher. Always gets the crowd singing and as our singer sings it so well I forget I'm only playing three notes all the way through. Some times it's the sum of the parts that count!

I enjoy playing the simpler songs in our set, there are plenty of songs I get to 'show off' on anyways! One thing I've always enjoyed about bass is that it encourages you to listen to everything that's going on and enjoy that, instead of just concentrating on what you're doing.

While agreeing wholeheartedly about the song overall being more important than the bassline, or any single part of a song, I'm afraid I did draw the line when the last covers band I was suggested "Waterfront" by Simple Minds.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUBz4J1Gc-w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUBz4J1Gc-w[/url]

Not only is the bass line the same one note ALL the way through.... it also lasts almost 5 minutes !

[quote name='BOD2' timestamp='1359040510' post='1948872']
While agreeing wholeheartedly about the song overall being more important than the bassline, or any single part of a song, I'm afraid I did draw the line when the last covers band I was suggested "Waterfront" by Simple Minds.

Not only is the bass line the same one note ALL the way through.... it also lasts almost 5 minutes !
[/quote]

You know there's a hell of a lot more to bass than just the notes.

Playing repetitvie patterns is not neccesarliy a simple exercise : keeping everything properly in time and a consistant "pocket " can be just as much of a challenge as playing a lot of notes , more so in fact . Playing solid eighth notes and quarter notes is an absolutely essential skill for any bass player , and not as easy as some might think . Record yourself playing along to some AC/DC tracks and try and keep it as tight as Cliff Williams does - you may well find it's not easy at all .

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1358933038' post='1947132']
I'm not sure I've ever been bored playing the bass part in any song - literally never!

As others have said, often it's the simplest parts that are the most fun. Let's you sit back and really 'work' with the band and appreciate everything around you.

In fact, employing this approach has actually lead to me not playing at all in certain parts of a song to change the feel - I really enjoy being able to do that, lol
[/quote]

I'm with you on this one - if I've got a bass in my hands then I'm happy . Every song I can think of has its' own challenges .

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1359041032' post='1948882']
You know there's a hell of a lot more to bass than just the notes.
[/quote]

Yes, I realise that. And I would also agree that it's not an easy thing to play solid notes like that all the way through a song. And if you were playing that sort of song to a "real" audience who were enjoying and appreciating the overall sound, then it's a joy to be a part of.

But in a covers band at the "Dog n' Duck", or whatever, the experience is somewhat different. But I'll bet there were gigs when even the Simple Minds' bass player would be thinking "oh no.... not Waterfront again !"

You can always do what I do and use the simple one note kind of numbers to go over to the mixing desk and sort the sound.

The desk will now be lighting up like the dashboard of the Millenium Falcon, cos' all the guitards and the drummer lied to you when you asked them for a level to set their channels. :angry:

[quote name='BOD2' timestamp='1359042525' post='1948908']
Yes, I realise that. And I would also agree that it's not an easy thing to play solid notes like that all the way through a song. And if you were playing that sort of song to a "real" audience who were enjoying and appreciating the overall sound, then it's a joy to be a part of.

[b]But in a covers band at the "Dog n' Duck", or whatever, the experience is somewhat different. But I'll bet there were gigs when even the Simple Minds' bass player would be thinking "oh no.... not Waterfront again !"[/b]
[/quote]

You need to change your attitude then. You need to chuck your energy at the audience, or you won't get any back.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1359058871' post='1949316']
[b]You can always do what I do and use the simple one note kind of numbers to go over to the mixing desk and sort the sound.[/b]

The desk will now be lighting up like the dashboard of the Millenium Falcon, cos' all the guitards and the drummer lied to you when you asked them for a level to set their channels. :angry:
[/quote]

I don't want to see that on a stage! Jeez guys, where's your musical spirit and energy gone?