Why become a member? ×

TI Jazz flats

Yeah I can see how they'd divide opinion. I love the low tension, it's like nothing I've ever tried before; they're just so playable! However, I imagine the low tension could be a problem for those who like to dig in, for example.

I've tried Chromes, Picatos, Rotos and La Bella, but couldn't get on with them. The Rotos tension is just plain ridiculous, Picatos felt 'sticky', La Bellas were too dark and thumpy, and Chromes were a bit too bright. The TIs are in another league, IMO.

I wish they would bring out a set of these TI's with a higher tension, providing they sound "exactly" the same because they do sound nice, especially the lowB.

Great sounding strings, (best of the flats I've tried) but you need a real high action to stop them buzzing like crazy,

Not to derail, but I am yet to try a duff set of TI strings. The Jazz Rounds are just lush - same kind of low tension vibe as the flats, but .....umm...... roundwound. I put a set of power bass strings on my Jazz last week and it all sounds louder and beefier than before. Almost like a little preamp has been put in. I realise that sounds ridiculous, but that is how it feels. I'm loving them.

Love my TIs on the Corvette 4 - glad it's not only me having to loosen the truss rod [i]and[/i] also raise the saddles to avoid buzzing. (No, I don't dig very hard, it really is because of their low tension, which I love.)
I'm also intrigued to hear that the their low B sounds so good. I bought my TIs as a set of 5, but couldn't put them on either of my 5ers because the low B is too thick for my old-style Warwick bridges, and I'm left with a new low B waiting to be used sooner or later. I'm now gassing even more strongly for a new-style Warwick-not-Rockbass Corvette 5 to try it on :D :gas:

I really like TI flats, use them on most of my basses. My experience with the B string not so good as others report. I drilled my Rockbass corvette bridge out to get the string to fit - easy DIY. Despite tweaking trussrod and raising action I found the B to be floppy. Great disappointment because for my taste and playing they are just super. The remaining E to G were excellent. Anyone want to swap a 4 string fretless Rockbass for an immaculate 5 string fretless Rockbass (with TI black nylon flats now)? I can't hack the narrow string spacing.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1359653784' post='1958340']
Love my TIs on the Corvette 4 - glad it's not only me having to loosen the truss rod [i]and[/i] also raise the saddles to avoid buzzing. (No, I don't dig very hard, it really is because of their low tension, which I love.)
I'm also intrigued to hear that the their low B sounds so good. I bought my TIs as a set of 5, but couldn't put them on either of my 5ers because the low B is too thick for my old-style Warwick bridges, and I'm left with a new low B waiting to be used sooner or later. I'm now gassing even more strongly for a new-style Warwick-not-Rockbass Corvette 5 to try it on :D :gas:
[/quote]

So have they changed the tailpiece on the newer Warwicks? That used to do my head in on the jazzman 5 I had...