Why become a member? ×

Sad admission - losing sleep, obsessed with gear !

hamfist

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1358685814' post='1943221']
My advice? don't change anything until you are [b]certain[/b] what's wrong... unless the thrill of the purchase is all that counts.
[/quote]

But the thrill is soooooo good. It's definitely a buzz that I'm slightly addicted to.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1358688764' post='1943328']

The answer to that is definitely ...... "not enough band activity". My band has been rather dormant over recent months. For me, my GAS and my band activity are inversly proportional. the more I play, the less I obesess about gear !
[/quote]

get another band? possible?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358674751' post='1942987']
You could be suffering from 'Affluenza' - a socially transmitted condition of anxiety resulting from the notion that only the acquisition of more or different material goods will lead to fulfilment and a 'better life'. You need a 'Basschat holiday' - or at least try to stay out of Basschat's market place! :)
[/quote]

+1. I used to be exactly the same. Finding satisfaction with what you've got and what you're doing (even if that means changing what you've got/what you're doing) is the key to solving GAS.

In my case, the solution came in the form of packing in a 9-5 day job and teaching music/pursuing a career in music (whether teaching, performing, workshops, etc). There is NOTHING like making music for a living to focus you on the music rather than the gear making the music. Whilst important, it's still only a close second to the act of making music you care about.

It's quite an extreme solution and not for all, but wanting only what you already have and not wanting what you don't have is the key to being a lot happier. Sometimes requires a bit of change tis all.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358686074' post='1943226']
Everybody needs something to worry about - it makes people feel as if they are being vigilant about potential threats and possible future problems - but if you are losing sleep over bass gear then I can only suggest you have got your priorities wrong . You should be worrying over something more serious like your health , personal safety , career, or your failing relationships with other people .
[/quote]

It's not as if my conscious mind is worried about bass stuff. I am blessed with a wonderfully stable and love-filled life and a satisfying job and life is very good..

But try telling that to my sub-conscious !!! - that's the bit that lurks in the background in the night bringing all sorts of topsy turvy thoughts and ideas into my head, while I'm trying to sleep !

Seriously, I've never been a great sleeper, and all it takes is my subconscious to have stuff to mull over and think about at night to completely ruin a good night's sleep.

Edited by hamfist

Yes.

I have gone through some gear in the past few years, and literally just an hour ago have come full circle and back "home" to Markbass separates. I now have a LM3 into two traveler 102p cabs, following sales and picked these up locally from a guy I know.

Having tried loads of stuff (EBS, Ashdown, Genz, Vanderkley, GK...I think that is all lol) I have concluded that nothing to me sounds as good as the Markbass stuff, to my ears anyway.

Only thing I might add is a BDDI, and again, I have had one before, and sold it thinking that it would help, but I remember how it sounded....ace.

Still, it has been fun, and not too ruinously expensive as a lot of this was done with used gear. But now I am done.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1358689077' post='1943340']
But the thrill is soooooo good. It's definitely a buzz that I'm slightly addicted to.
[/quote]
So, my suggestion: [i]'Why not spend the money that you [i]would[/i] spend on gear on decent lessons. You may find that the problem isn't your gear afterall.'[/i] wasn't really what you wanted to hear.
Okay, so you're more interested in spending money than furthering yourself as a bass player. :rolleyes:
I must admit that there is something in your posts that doesn't sit very well with me.

The answer to that is definitely ...... "not enough band activity". My band has been rather dormant over recent months. For me, my GAS and my band activity are inversly proportional. the more I play, the less I obesess about gear !
[/quote]

...and anything else?

You don't have to answer that here but something to ponder.

I love gear and have got a lot of it (recently I've been buying a lot of effects),but it's not anything
to lose sleep over.If I start thinking about gear while I'm in bed,it will usually send me to sleep.
Thinking about music,however,can keep me up for hours....especially thinking about something that
I can't play yet.
Gear is great,but like SteveK says,spend the money on lessons and you may find (probably will) that
the gear isn't the problem. Let's be honest,you can swap and change gear all day but how much
difference does it [i]really[/i] make?

Guest bassman7755

In my experience, the only thing that most players need to dramatically improve the sound of their setup is a new set of strings (or at least reconditioning an old set occasionally). This would yield vastly more tonal benefit for most players than £300 or even £3000 on amps/basses/whatever.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1358692214' post='1943400']
So, my suggestion: [i]'Why not spend the money that you [i]would[/i] spend on gear on decent lessons. You may find that the problem isn't your gear afterall.'[/i] wasn't really what you wanted to hear.
Okay, so you're more interested in spending money than furthering yourself as a bass player. :rolleyes:
I must admit that there is something in your posts that doesn't sit very well with me.
[/quote]

I'm actually pretty happy with the standard of my playing, although that can always be improved for us all. For me though, my tone is pretty damned important also. I know the general public at a gig, and probably my bandmates, don't notice or care about it, but I do. We're all different and I know a number of great players who are satisfied with mediocre tone (all IMO of course), but for my own enjoyment, I am not.

I'm not hugely desiring to spend lots of money, and I try to spend as little as possible in all my changes of gear. But, it is absolutely true that there are (at least) two distinct hobbies that are represented and fulfilled on BC. The first is actually playing bass, and the second is messing around with bass gear. Not all players are interested in both. Some are even only really interested in the gear. Doesn't make them worse or better than you, or me, just different.

The comments about "losing sleep" are slightly tongue in cheek, although actually true. I always sleep lightly and poorly. My brain seems active all the time. It only takes having something small lurking around my subconscious to keep me awake by buzzing it around my brain, and sub-conscious thoughts and wonderings are frequently enough to disrupt sleep for me. For those who sleep soundly most of the time, then you are truly blessed. Insomnia is a pain.

Your last line leads me to believe that you think you know me much, much better than you actually do.

Gear is nice. However, having watched a brilliant bass player last night it's only practice that'll get me where I want to go. The guy I saw last night has had the same bass for 15years and it's not his gear that is impressive.

Anyway, I plug into my main amp and then my practice combo, I always sound the same, so gear is just that, gear.

going by your gear list, you've some nice stuff.... my suggestion, and it helps me. Pick some other bass up, a P bass, or variant. Don't spend much at all, (sub 200) but get a nice playable but not exceptional bass. Then when you worry about your "tone" pick that one up and play that. Then you'll have a choice of two tones and.... well it won't be as stressful

[/quote]

That too!

when there's music to be played, I rarely feel " *need* something. And when I feel that way it's because I identified something I would like different, and I change it. Other than that, I only buy stuff if I see something that I fancy, but I don't think about it actively.

When things become slow... that's when I can go crazy about amps, cabs and a million pedals I could get...

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1358692214' post='1943400']
[/quote]

bit harsh?