Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

U2 bass lines - is that all there is?

lowdowner

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1358593355' post='1941801']
OK lowdowner - here's a little test for you...

Find a suitable singer, guitarist and drummer. Record your own version of "Where the streets have no name" with a bassline you think is more interesting while still be being appropriate and post it up here on Basschat for us to critique.

What do you think?
[/quote]
That would be a good test. I think the only way to be successful would be to use the song but change the genre.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1358596525' post='1941863']
Apologies for misreading your original post.

Switch the question around, can you think of any respected (how do you define respected?) or mainstream bands that have complicated bass lines?

Most don't.

Status Quo, Stones, Bowie, JLS and Queen's bass lines are all pretty simple.

JPJ in Led Zepelin played lots of notes but they were all pretty basic blues lines.

An effective band usually has simple playing at it's core, until you get into Dream Theater territory.
[/quote]

I suspect I didn't express myself clearly! :)

Good question though... I'll think about it - there must be *some* well known bands that have more complex bass lines. What about the Stones for example?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1358603954' post='1942039']
I'm sure we all don't. For myself yes to the Meters but not really interested by Wooten. I don't believe I'm the only one.
[/quote]

That reminds me of how indignant I feel when the england football manager says 'the whole country will be celebrating tonight if the team wins' and I think 'well, not me, I couldn't give a stuff either way, i don't even *like* football let alone care when someone scores: the world isn't made up of people who think just like you you arrogant little ****' :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1358596525' post='1941863']
Apologies for misreading your original post.

Switch the question around, can you think of any respected (how do you define respected?) or mainstream bands that have complicated bass lines?

Most don't.

Status Quo, Stones, Bowie, JLS and Queen's bass lines are all pretty simple.

JPJ in Led Zepelin played lots of notes but they were all pretty basic blues lines.

An effective band usually has simple playing at it's core, until you get into Dream Theater territory.
[/quote]

OK, i've had a flick through some bass lines and think you could safely say that there are some bands with more complex bass lines:

- Beatles
- Santana (complex rhythms as well as pitch variations)
- Stones
- Weather Report (OK, that's probably a given)
- Rush
- Hendrix (look at the chorus on 'Spanish Castle Magic'!)
- Alanis Morissette (look at 'You Oughta Know' - syncopation, ghosting, non-diatonic notes peppered in...)

and maybe many more...

I'd like to point out (once again) that I like U2, but they have some of the simplest bass lines around and wondered how common this was ;)

I don't think Adam Clayton is a bad player by any stretch of the imagination. He has played all kinds of memorable bass parts on U2 songs , including "hook" parts that are central to the song in certain instances . He's got a great sound , his basslines drive the songs along and he does a great job in that band . I am a little surprised that the O.P chooses Where The Streets Have No Name as an example of simplicity , because I have often thought that was a tricky pick workout and not easy to keep properly in time and as tight as Adam Clayton plays it . U2 , especially the more recent stuff , is not really my thing but Adam Claytons' playing is an important part of that band and their success .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358613036' post='1942219']
I don't think Adam Clayton is a bad player by any stretch of the imagination. He has played all kinds of memorable bass parts on U2 songs , including "hook" parts that are central to the song in certain instances . He's got a great sound , his basslines drive the songs along and he does a great job in that band . I am a little surprised that the O.P chooses Where The Streets Have No Name as an example of simplicity , because I have often thought that was a tricky pick workout and not easy to keep properly in time and as tight as Adam Clayton plays it . U2 , especially the more recent stuff , is not really my thing but Adam Claytons' playing is an important part of that band and their success .
[/quote]

Good post - "Where the Streets Have No Name" is hard enough to play fingerstyle (I can't do it) let alone with a pick. IMO his more simple parts are things like "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", "With or Without You", or "Angel of Harlem".

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358613036' post='1942219']
I am a little surprised that the O.P chooses Where The Streets Have No Name as an example of simplicity , because I have often thought that was a tricky pick workout and not easy to keep properly in time and as tight as Adam Clayton plays it .
[/quote]

I only play every other note though - I thought that was the accepted way for fast bass lines, or the listener's ear can't keep up... ;)

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1358616210' post='1942294']
I only play every other note though - I thought that was the accepted way for fast bass lines, or the listener's ear can't keep up... ;)
[/quote]

I have to play it like the original . I'm obsessive like that . I have however , heard a few big name bass players plays simplified versions of their own basslines when playing live compared to the original recorded versions .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1358604441' post='1942056']
That reminds me of how indignant I feel when the england football manager says 'the whole country will be celebrating tonight if the team wins' and I think 'well, not me, I couldn't give a stuff either way, i don't even *like* football let alone care when someone scores: the world isn't made up of people who think just like you you arrogant little ****' :)
[/quote]

Ha ha! Glad to hear I'm not alone :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1358602649' post='1941995']
That would be a good test. I think the only way to be successful would be to use the song but change the genre.
[/quote]
Hmm, what a brilliant idea. Maybe do a more electronic version. Perhaps even with a bit of another song cut into the middle 8. Could be a massive hit, I reckon. ;)

And, more seriously, yes, I reckon that would be the only way to improve WTSHNN.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1358621331' post='1942416']
Hmm, what a brilliant idea. Maybe do a more electronic version. Perhaps even with a bit of another song cut into the middle 8. Could be a massive hit, I reckon. ;)

And, more seriously, yes, I reckon that would be the only way to improve WTSHNN.
[/quote]

I reckon a slightly funky version would be ideal... lots of pulling and pushing the rhythm :)

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1358595809' post='1941851']
Is there an Adam clayton bass ? Will have to google it !
[/quote]
There are at least two that I am aware of: a very, er, tasteful P bass:
[Img]http://www.fender-cs.jp/topics/ClaytonBass1.jpg" class="ipsImage" />
and a very, er, tasteful Warwick:
[Img]http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab94/u2_stage_and_studio_adam/1-Bass_Guitars/Warwick/Adam%20Clayton%20Reverso-2009-natural/1964079014GDMQZFWW_01.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Which just goes to show that Clayton puts more taste into his basslines than his basses. ;)

I totally sympathise with the OP. I think AC does what's simple, effective and tasteful . If you listen to Please, or the Three Sunrises he can do more complex stuff and he can do melodic stuff like Bad. I like playing along to their All along the watchtower or Pride. You gotta start somewhere

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1358605684' post='1942081']

OK, i've had a flick through some bass lines and think you could safely say that there are some bands with more complex bass lines:

- Beatles
- Santana (complex rhythms as well as pitch variations)
- Stones
- Weather Report (OK, that's probably a given)
- Rush
- Hendrix (look at the chorus on 'Spanish Castle Magic'!)
- Alanis Morissette (look at 'You Oughta Know' - syncopation, ghosting, non-diatonic notes peppered in...)

and maybe many more...

I'd like to point out (once again) that I like U2, but they have some of the simplest bass lines around and wondered how common this was ;)
[/quote]
I always felt sorry for the regular bass player on that Alanis track, how would we like Flea coming and stealing our thunder?! The original version is on the album at the end and the other bass player ain't too shabby anyway :)

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1358621934' post='1942440']
There are at least two that I am aware of: a very, er, tasteful P bass:

and a very, er, tasteful Warwick:

Which just goes to show that Clayton puts more taste into his basslines than his basses. ;)
[/quote]

Did you [i]have[/i] to post the "upside-down, left-handed Stryker with a right-handed neck"?
Abomination.

IMO - The bottom line - no pun intended, is that bass lines fundamentally need to fit in wit the over all sound of the piece of music. If you take 'With or without you' as an example, you couldn't play something more complex or you would use the whole feel of the piece. The fact that Clayton is listening to and fitting in with the song as a whole probably makes him a far better player than many that would play over complicated lines and stomp all over everything else... After all, this is pop music!

should be noted that overplaying can sometimes just be annoying when its not in contect, pretty rare that properly technical playing works in mainstream pop, flea is probably one of the successful ones. Importantly bass in 'pop' is about what fits with the piece as a whole, flea fits with RHCP and Clayon wits with U2.

[quote name='Talbo' timestamp='1358629690' post='1942640']
IMO - The bottom line - no pun intended, is that bass lines fundamentally need to fit in wit the over all sound of the piece of music. If you take 'With or without you' as an example ... After all, this is pop music!
[/quote]

I guess this is the important thing - pop music is sometimes (often?) pretty simple... I didn't really have U2 down as 'pop' but it's closer to that than anything else I guess.

Still like it though :)