Why become a member? ×

2 x 10 or 4 x 10

aende

I have a query;

My Superfly amp has 2 x 250w outputs @ 4 ohms.

So, I can run 2 cabs @ 4 ohms for full power. My preference is for 10" speakers. I could run two 2 x10" 4ohm cabs : just taking using 1 for practice and running both for gigs. However, buying 2 cabs is not cheap and finding cheap 2 x 10" cabs @ 4 ohm that can handle more than 250w of powers is proving tricky. I could re-load 2 and re-wire 2 old cabs, again, this is tricky.

So, I could buy an old 4 x 10" and re wire it to be two 2 x 10" in the same enclosure.......just means I have to lug a 4 x 10" everywhere.

Thoughts? Loss of a tweeter is a bit of a bugger.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1357283725' post='1920252']
I'd go for 2 x 210 cabs too. 8 ohm ones (you won't hear a difference between 8 & 4 ohm cabs).
Getting the "full power" from your amp doesn't give you more volume.
[/quote]

I think it can make quite a difference. I have both ABM 410 and 2x ABM 210 cabs. All cabs are 8 ohms and contain 150w speakers. The 2 x 210 combination (running at 4 ohms) is significantly louder than the 410 on its own.

Money no object, 2 x 210. Use one for rehearsals, bring both out for gigs. Easier to carry as well.

Otherwise, if no problems carting cabs about, 410. A good 410 will cover all bases, and if picked up used on here, you can probably move it on at a later point for roughly the same money, should you decide to go for the two 210s when the money is available.

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1357285835' post='1920267']
I think it can make quite a difference. I have both ABM 410 and 2x ABM 210 cabs. All cabs are 8 ohms and contain 150w speakers. The 2 x 210 combination (running at 4 ohms) is significantly louder than the 410 on its own.
[/quote]

I would be inclined to say that it's not so much to do with the watts or ohms, but the cabs & their sensitivity.
A more accurate comparison would be if you had a 4 & an 8 ohm of each 2x10 & could A/B them.

I think I am going to build my own cabs; Build a butted box (non dovetailed), single port and 2 x 10" driver cutouts, central support between the drivers.....How hard can it be?

Firstly - Pine or MDF?

Fixed or floating baffle board?

What works best?

mdf dude...go to a local joiners/exhibition builders the scrap litrely tons of the stuff,belive me iv help smash up 200ks worth of sets from a charity in london,i wont mention the 12k kitchen i burnt!!..tho it was aubegene!!,u have see the one on adverts on tv!!,any way the get rid of loads of wood and if u got the sizes, chuck em a beer token to route out the speaker holes for ya!! ;) and ffs dont plug in 2 4ohm cabs ull fry ur amp...that gives u 2 0hm,ur cabs need to be 8 ohm each....unlees ur amp maxes at 2 ohm!!

Edited by thunderider

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1357319192' post='1921020']
I think I am going to build my own cabs; Build a butted box (non dovetailed), single port and 2 x 10" driver cutouts, central support between the drivers.....How hard can it be?

Firstly - Pine or MDF?

Fixed or floating baffle board?

What works best?
[/quote]

Alternatively, I have 2 empty Peavey 210 tx cabs sitting around. Pm me if you're interested!

Edited by MonkeyTrick

Hi,
I am going down the 2x10 route also. I can't understand why no one on the forum mentions or recommends the Genz Benz Focus range.
Other forums are very complimentary if you are looking for value for money at the lower end.
I rang and spoke to the chap at bass direct. He was very positive and said that while you can tell the difference between Vanderkley, Bergantino and the focus cabs the price difference more than made up for this.
So when they get some more in, mid Jan, according to their web site I will be going down that route unless someone here tells me I'm making a big mistake!

[quote name='Amazoman' timestamp='1357471251' post='1922939']
Hi,
I am going down the 2x10 route also. I can't understand why no one on the forum mentions or recommends the Genz Benz Focus range.

[/quote]

I guess because they are comparitively new and not many people will have tried them. If I was looking for a rig change they'd definately be on my list to check out. They look good value, and nice and light.

Edited by BluRay

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1357329489' post='1921273']
mdf dude...go to a local joiners/exhibition builders the scrap litrely tons of the stuff,belive me iv help smash up 200ks worth of sets from a charity in london,i wont mention the 12k kitchen i burnt!!..tho it was aubegene!!,u have see the one on adverts on tv!!,any way the get rid of loads of wood and if u got the sizes, chuck em a beer token to route out the speaker holes for ya!! ;) and ffs dont plug in 2 4ohm cabs ull fry ur amp...that gives u 2 0hm,ur cabs need to be 8 ohm each....unlees ur amp maxes at 2 ohm!!
[/quote]

think the superflys are similar to the little giant in that they have 2 amps in them basically so you can run 4 Ohms a side.

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1357501087' post='1923692']
think the superflys are similar to the little giant in that they have 2 amps in them basically so you can run 4 Ohms a side.

andy
[/quote]

Yes - this is correct - 2 x 250w at 4 ohms per side. A bit weird, but a neat way of creating a bit of power without a huge amount of amp space. so, 4 ohm per side. i.e. 2 x 8 ohm drivers in parallel!

Alright - next question.

I am going to build 2 210 cabs - wired in parallel at 4 ohm total load for each cab. How do I patch these together for a total 4 ohm load at the amp?

The only way I cam think to do it is by cabling the cabinets in series or using a patch box.....I.e cabling the cabs to the patch box then to the amp.

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1357598179' post='1925285']
Alright - next question.

I am going to build 2 210 cabs - wired in parallel at 4 ohm total load for each cab. How do I patch these together for a total 4 ohm load at the amp?

The only way I cam think to do it is by cabling the cabinets in series or using a patch box.....I.e cabling the cabs to the patch box then to the amp.
[/quote]

Make each cab 8Ω. 2 cabs daisychained would then make a 4Ω load.

No idea about the speakers with that info. Have a look at Eminence & Celestion for speakers.

Ideally, you want to find out the specs of the drivers that were originally in the cabs & then get drivers to match.
If the cab's ain't tuned to the drivers then you run the risk of either having a crap sound from good drivers or even damaging the drivers.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1357598539' post='1925295']
Make each cab 8Ω. 2 cabs daisychained would then make a 4Ω load.

No idea about the speakers with that info. Have a look at Eminence & Celestion for speakers.

Ideally, you want to find out the specs of the drivers that were originally in the cabs & then get drivers to match.
If the cab's ain't tuned to the drivers then you run the risk of either having a crap sound from good drivers or even damaging the drivers.
[/quote]

Thanks - I would like to try for 4 ohm at the amp as I would then get full power.....so, I could use 1 cab at 4 ohm for practice and then daisy chain another cab for live, but maintain 4ohms.......actually, it does not matter that much!!

Edited by aende