Why become a member? ×

Wunjos bass emporium in Denmark St - great experience!

Mudpup

Just wanted to give a big shout to Wunjos Bass Centre in Denmark St, London.

I popped in today to have a tinkle on a few Fendery type basses. The service was outstanding - the guys (Tom and Mark) were informative and patient. I didnt quite know what i was looking for until i heard it - ive discovered its best to buy with your ears rather than your wallet - and they cheerfully trotted out about 10 different options over the course of an hour or so.

Other customers came and went and the guys popped back every now and then to have a listen and make some suggestions or shoot the breeze a bit - all sensible and they really figured out what i was looking for.

I was never pressured and left the shop to have a quick pooch round some of the other music shops in the street and some lunch. Got blanked by most of them (stood looking at a £1100 Warwick for about 5 mins waiting for a bloke stocktaking to move out the way or ask me if i needed any help but gave up and left)and this just reinforced my faith in the service i had received at Wunjos.

Anyway, a quick call to the missus and i was cleared for a spend up. Back to Wunjos and Tom sorted out a great deal on a Fender Blacktop Jazz with a case and some spare strings. The bass is fantastic - pure growl and grunt - and the whole experience was brilliant.

Next time you're in town pop in and have a look. They have some nice Spectors, Fenders, Musicmans, Genz and SWR bits and they're well worth supporting.

Cheers guys!

I agree with you mudpup, Wunjos is a good shop. I've bought several guitars from there. The last one was a Maton 12 string electro acoustic. When I got it home I found it had a small crack in the body, called them and they said bring it back and we'll fix it. Job done! Great place, fully recommend them. :)

Edited by ellie

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1357162475' post='1918562']
Back to Wunjos and Tom sorted out a great deal on a Fender Blacktop Jazz with a case and some spare strings. The bass is fantastic - pure growl and grunt - and the whole experience was brilliant.

[/quote]

Sounds like a bit of me! Is that the one with the twin P pickups?

Yup Cosmo, that's the one. Jazz body, Jazz neck with dots, twin overwound P pickups, VVT controls and lovely shiny black finish. Its a real floorshaking growl monster - the front pup sounds like a precision and the bridge pup is a super beefy jazz on steroids. Can't wait to gig it next weekend. Pics later today.

They're far better than the old Bass Cellar. I was in there yesterday checking out a Fender Jaguar, they offered to order me in the colour I wanted (CAR) and I could take the one they had (sunburst) while they waited for the CAR one to come in! They also offered a year's worth of free setups and a month's trial period! Unfortunately the missus had overspent a bit over Xmas so I had to leave it. :( My only criticism is that they have a bit of a limited selection compared to the old days, but the much better customer service makes up for it. Nice one guys. :)

[quote name='Russ' timestamp='1357229052' post='1919436']
They're far better than the old Bass Cellar. .................
[/quote]

Being repeatedly kicked in the trousers is far better than the old Bass Cellar.

I've also always had good service from Wunjos, Denmark Street is becoming worth a visit again.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1357218957' post='1919223']
Yup Cosmo, that's the one. Jazz body, Jazz neck with dots, twin overwound P pickups, VVT controls and lovely shiny black finish. Its a real floorshaking growl monster - the front pup sounds like a precision and the bridge pup is a super beefy jazz on steroids. Can't wait to gig it next weekend. Pics later today.
[/quote]

I used to have a BC Rich with the twin P pickups. I'm amazed more basses don't have it, it's a fantastic pairing! It's clear why Entwistle was so enamoured.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1357238986' post='1919696']
Being repeatedly kicked in the trousers is far better than the old Bass Cellar.

I've also always had good service from Wunjos, Denmark Street is becoming worth a visit again.
[/quote]
Ah! That's what I was thinking of - not Andys. Apple ogies to the OP
[quote][/quote]
:)

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1357168547' post='1918723']
Probably best to be discreet and not name them.
[/quote]

Plenty of people on here and elsewhere, were less than discreet about the Bass Callar. I believe that is not there any more. In this economic age the way Wunjos treat customers is what brings people back. It's browsing and good advice that eventually leads to a sale.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1357469103' post='1922899']
Plenty of people on here and elsewhere, were less than discreet about the Bass Callar. I believe that is not there any more. In this economic age the way Wunjos treat customers is what brings people back. It's browsing and good advice that eventually leads to a sale.
[/quote]

I've not been to Denmark St for a few weeks, but last time the Bass Cellar had moved to the basement of Rockers, over the road - apparently there were fears at the time that the construction of the new Crossrail station at Tottenham Court Road would affect the north side of Denmark St, so there was a panic move.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1357473213' post='1922990']

I've not been to Denmark St for a few weeks, but last time the Bass Cellar had moved to the basement of Rockers, over the road - apparently there were fears at the time that the construction of the new Crossrail station at Tottenham Court Road would affect the north side of Denmark St, so there was a panic move.
[/quote]

See, i didnt need to name anyone after all