Why become a member? ×

Fender US Std Jazz V for £899 at GuitarGuitar

Platypus

They`ve a few of the 2008 Series Fenders up for grabs at similar prices - as have PMT. I suppose now the 2012 is out, with all the improvements, these are getting left behind. Which is why I was able to snap up a 2011 Precision from PMT for £785.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1357114172' post='1917526']
They`ve a few of the 2008 Series Fenders up for grabs at similar prices - as have PMT. I suppose now the 2012 is out, with all the improvements, these are getting left behind. Which is why I was able to snap up a 2011 Precision from PMT for £785.
[/quote]

What are the " improvements " ?

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1357120044' post='1917596']
[/quote]

From what I`ve read, the pickups are now the same ones as on the 60s Custom Shop pickups, and they have a graphite reinforced neck, though I don`t know if this particular feature was there before on the 08 Series.

I spent 15 minutes with one of the Charcoal Frost Pz above during my lunch today.

It’s safe to say I won’t be going ahead. Heavy, lots of swirling in the paint and a few minor scratches, a tiny crack in the paint near the neck joint, and a pretty ugly piece of wood for the neck itself.

I also found it very uncomfortable to play. That is probably a setup issue though.

The neck joint was good quality, and the pickup placement/string alignment was perfect. As it should be.

I’m not sold on the new pups yet....but again I was probably too quiet on the amp to hear what it has to offer.

I’m also confused as to what they coat the back of the neck with now. It doesn’t seem as easy to play as my 2009 version of the same bass. It seems to stick a little. Hmm. It just seemed very dry, but unlike the dryness of a Musicman neck, it wasn’t smooth and fast.

I sometimes feel like the P and J I currently have are the cream of the crop. I’ve played loads of shoddy American Standards since. I’m probably spoilt by Musicman’s QC and attention to detail as well.

Finding another P has been a long journey that still hasn’t ended.

Its worth bearing in mind that as of Jan 2013, the Charcoal Frost Metallic and Candy Cola have been discontinued, so shortly all stock will go down to around £899 in the stores, (for a 2012 Fender....I presume the 2011’s will be even cheaper soon).

Oh, and the new colours are.....de dahhhh! Mystic Red and Mystic Blue. Take a look on fender.co.uk. AWFUL. They look like the low end Squier colours.

C’mon Fender, bring back the pastels!

[quote name='voxpop' timestamp='1357120044' post='1917596']
[/quote]
[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1357123631' post='1917641']
Lucky for you! [url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12031011331258"]http://www.guitargui...=12031011331258[/url]
(if you don't mind the colour!)
[/quote]

The only difference between the 08-11 Am Standards and the 2012 ones is the Custom Shop pickups , and that is only on the 4 string ones . The fives are unchanged ( except the price has gone up ) . All post - 08 have graphite reinforced necks .

Just had a look at the Mystic Red . What's mystical about it ? Personally I didn't like Candy Cola , but I cannot see why Fender would discontinue it to replace it with such a similar colour . Someone such as myself who wouldn't have bought Candy Cola will now be able to not buy Mystic Red . Mystifying .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1357140522' post='1917987']
Just had a look at the Mystic Red . What's mystical about it ? Personally I didn't like Candy Cola , but I cannot see why Fender would discontinue it to replace it with such a similar colour . Someone such as myself who wouldn't have bought Candy Cola will now be able to not buy Mystic Red . Mystifying .
[/quote]

Haha! Sometimes Fender really don't get it. Why not introduce something more interesting colour wise?!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1357142064' post='1918028']
Haha! Sometimes Fender really don't get it. Why not introduce something more interesting colour wise?!
[/quote]

I think ( well actually I know for a fact ) that Fender are careful to keep the best colours for the more expensive guitars . They could easily offer Fiesta Red , Dakota Red , Sonic Blue ect but they don't on purpose , so they can keep these very attractive classic custom colours for the more upmarket Custom Shop and Vintage Reissue instruments . From a marketing point of view , you can see why they would do so- if you want a premium colour you have to buy a premium guitar ..

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1357137779' post='1917933']
I spent 15 minutes with one of the Charcoal Frost Pz above during my lunch today.

It’s safe to say I won’t be going ahead. Heavy, lots of swirling in the paint and a few minor scratches, a tiny crack in the paint near the neck joint, and a pretty ugly piece of wood for the neck itself.

I also found it very uncomfortable to play. That is probably a setup issue though.

The neck joint was good quality, and the pickup placement/string alignment was perfect. As it should be.

I’m not sold on the new pups yet....but again I was probably too quiet on the amp to hear what it has to offer.

I’m also confused as to what they coat the back of the neck with now. It doesn’t seem as easy to play as my 2009 version of the same bass. It seems to stick a little. Hmm. It just seemed very dry, but unlike the dryness of a Musicman neck, it wasn’t smooth and fast.

I sometimes feel like the P and J I currently have are the cream of the crop. I’ve played loads of shoddy American Standards since. I’m probably spoilt by Musicman’s QC and attention to detail as well.

Finding another P has been a long journey that still hasn’t ended.

Its worth bearing in mind that as of Jan 2013, the Charcoal Frost Metallic and Candy Cola have been discontinued, so shortly all stock will go down to around £899 in the stores, (for a 2012 Fender....I presume the 2011’s will be even cheaper soon).

Oh, and the new colours are.....de dahhhh! Mystic Red and Mystic Blue. Take a look on fender.co.uk. AWFUL. They look like the low end Squier colours.

C’mon Fender, bring back the pastels!
[/quote]

Agree. Finding the right Fender can be a lengthy process. The good ones are worth the hassle though. Also agree about the pastels....bring em back!

Guitarguitar however seem to be going that extra mile at the mo...buy now pay 2014 etc. Hats off to them for making instrument acquirement easier to poor plebs like me.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1357142536' post='1918044']
I think ( well actually I know for a fact ) that Fender are careful to keep the best colours for the more expensive guitars . They could easily offer Fiesta Red , Dakota Red , Sonic Blue ect but they don't on purpose , so they can keep these very attractive classic custom colours for the more upmarket Custom Shop and Vintage Reissue instruments . From a marketing point of view , you can see why they would do so- if you want a premium colour you have to buy a premium guitar ..
[/quote]

Aye, I thought they might have a reason behind it. The Charcoal Frost is actually very pretty up close. Almost like BMW type metallic grey.