Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cabs????

teaser360

I had a Super Twelve on loan for a while and it was totally superb.

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/super-twelve.htm"]http://barefacedbass...uper-twelve.htm[/url]

If I had the necessary folding I would buy one immediately without hesitation.
Or maybe two Compacts... with silver cloth grilles. Hmm...

So yes, in my opinion they are definitely worth the money.
Whether they are better than other neo cabs I don't know - I haven't tried them all.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='teaser360' timestamp='1356881786' post='1914646']
Are they worth the money
[/quote]This, or a variation of it, is the most commonly used neo twelve:
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIDLIT2512&browsemode=manufacturer

This, or a variation of it, is what you'll find in BFB twelve loaded cabs:
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIKLIT3012LF&browsemode=manufacturer

I've used two types, the Big One (no longer available) and I've currently got a Super Twelve T. The Big One sounded huge, but needed a lot of driving to get loud. A friendly giant sort of a sound, warm and enveloping with oodles of bass extension, but without ever being dull or wooly. The Super Twelve is more aggressive, less polite, still with decent bass extension though. Neither cab booms, honks, rattles or makes any sound other than what is fed to it, plus a smattering of that cab's personality. Both cabs are capable of completely bonkers sound pressure levels driven by a big enough amp, the Super Twelve being more efficient can be partnered with a less powerful amp though.

I can lift a Super Twelve with one hand. Don't remember trying that with the Big One, but I probably could have.

Worth it? If it's the right cab for you, you probably won't be buying another for years. A shortcut for quenching those 'What if I had one of those cabs instead' questions. That was worth it for me. If you are looking for a new cab, take your time, there are other great cabs out there, the Super Twelve just had the balance of characteristics I was looking for.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1356886648' post='1914745']
This, or a variation of it, is the most commonly used neo twelve:
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIDLIT2512&browsemode=manufacturer

This, or a variation of it, is what you'll find in BFB twelve loaded cabs:
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIKLIT3012LF&browsemode=manufacturer
[/quote]

Ah, Bill Fitzmaurice, the king of not answering a question ;)

To the OP - I love my barefaced compact and really really want a '69er, just need the money first :(

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1356888856' post='1914771']
Ah, Bill Fitzmaurice, the king of not answering a question ;)
[/quote]The OP wants to know if BFB is worth paying more for. What better way to demonstrate that than showing him exactly what the extra coinage will get him? Even if he doesn't know what the specs mean the difference between 115 and 175 quid should make the point clear.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

i want lightweight, cos of my dicky back, will be using GK MB500 Head, i like to hear myself and ive only got a small car (mini) my band plays stuff like, the who, weller, jam , kaiser chiefs, pistols, but me and the keyboard player normally have a run of 80s electro music, OMD, new order, depeche mode, for about 15 to mins so our set list is varied, we dont use a lead guitarist but have a pretty loud rhythm, and the drummer is a diamond cos he balances the sound out, ive not got mega bucks to spend but my motto is dont buy cheap otherwise you will buy again. im fed up of wasting money In the last 5 years iv bought around 20 different basses, ive finally got 2 that i woudnt part with, like i said the only issues i have now is with my back, i cant be lugging 35kg amps around no more,
Really like the look of the compact but is it good for me? or my amp?

Edited by teaser360

I think the Super12 would be more fitting with the GK MB500s sound, but the best person to ask is Alex himself. He really is excellent on the customer service front, and will recommend a product based on your needs, not his till receipts. Having had a Compact, I found it lacking it that aggressive bite that is needed for Bruce Foxton type tones, so I contacted him and he suggested the Midget - and he was right. So, bearing in mind ShergoldSnickers`s comments about the Super12, it sounds more the area you`re after.

In the last 3 years I owned and tried a lot of the high end cabs out there. Epifani, Orange, Ashdown, Aguilar... All of them are really good. My Super 12 though it's absolutely brilliant. I honestly can't fault it and not a week goes by without people asking me questions about it in awe of the sound, looks and lightweight. I've been using it intensely for a year now and I'm not looking back. Email Alex and he'll help you find the right cabinet for you.

It took just 5 minutes of playing through a midget to convince me, tried a compact too and them together, put down the deposits straight away, had a chat with Alex and we worked out that a pair of midgets was what I needed, I considered a super 12 but the pair of midgets seemed a better choice for me, they really are as light and as powerful as claimed, I can't wait for mine to be ready.
Matt

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1356899630' post='1914980']
I think the Super12 would be more fitting with the GK MB500s sound, but the best person to ask is Alex himself. He really is excellent on the customer service front, and will recommend a product based on your needs, not his till receipts. Having had a Compact, I found it lacking it that aggressive bite that is needed for Bruce Foxton type tones, so I contacted him and he suggested the Midget - and he was right. So, bearing in mind ShergoldSnickers`s comments about the Super12, it sounds more the area you`re after.
[/quote]

I have to agree about the bite/aggression of the Compact. It may not be for the OP. Super 12?

Also note, the new Genz NX2 2x12 is getting rave reviews and is now loaded with Faital drivers, and is about 48lbs! It will cover a lot if ground, and its £720! Bargain.

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1356908037' post='1915115']
It took just 5 minutes of playing through a midget to convince me, tried a compact too and them together, put down the deposits straight away, had a chat with Alex and we worked out that a pair of midgets was what I needed, I considered a super 12 but the pair of midgets seemed a better choice for me, they really are as light and as powerful as claimed, I can't wait for mine to be ready.
Matt
[/quote]
how long have you had to wait for yours?

Everything here is good advice and true.

Yes, you won't be wasting your tim if you discuss with Alex.

Yes, these cabs are best driven by an amp with plenty of juice. Yours should be ok, discuss with Alex.

You'll find the sound and output levels of these cabs at least equal to the best in the world.

Their size and weight, or at lack of it, is life changing.

Cannot recommend highly enough, if you have the dough, they're worth it. I have a Compact and Midget T, for me they are unbelievable. To find what's best for you, discuss with Alex.

I've been a player for 30 odd years, and a recording engineer for the last 25 or so, I've recorded almost every combination of cabs and amps over the years and the Barefaced cabs I've seen in the flesh are certainly up there with the absolute best.

I've recorded a super 12T and I now own a Big Twin T, the BGT has changed the way I think about bass backline, and I now treat my rig as an extension of the recording studio, crafting bass tones to suit songs and then throwing them through the cab knowing they will sound precisely the same regardless of the level I want to play them at.

That, in itself, makes the BGT worth every penny.

I can't speak for your needs as a bassist, but I recommend them without hesitation for the work I'm doing.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='teaser360' timestamp='1356885981' post='1914724']
just cant decide which one to go for
[/quote]

Unless you absolutely must have a tweeter then the Compact is a pretty safe bet. Despite being a 15 it has good upper mid extension - as good as my epifany UL310 (with tweeter turned off obviously) for example. It really hits the sweet spot of lightness/smallness/power handling/efficiency/frequency range in a way that no other cab I know of does for any money. And for £500 ish its not even outrageously expensive at least compared to other high end cabs.

If you want a "rock and roll" sound out of this cab though you will have use a dirty pre-amp/amp but the same applies to a lot of very high spec cabs. With that in mind your [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] GK MB500 head should work very nicely with it.[/font][/color]

Edited by bassman7755