Why become a member? ×

Sir Duke

witterth

SIR DUKE,Stevie Wonder,..got to a loss at 01:45 am after a few hours and now sacking it...Its been asked for before, but I've been asked to play it soon and its tough innit? help me please. :( and not just a
"look- what- I -can- do- and- you- cant-" link
any good links that simply shows me how its done,....please?...oh go on!!
Its not like it was "Rhythm Stick" again surley......Phwewewww

oh and by the way ..Rhythm Stick??
hows that done :huh: ?
Love
Witterth
looking at a tough gig soon!!

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1356862306' post='1914311']
Thank you guys and all that is good advice (Im trying it out now) any decent you tube links? ( I know its cheating!!)
[/quote]

Try basscamera.com. I saw it before, and while I don't think it's 100%, it's a good start. Will you be playing with a horn section or guitars? Important to make sure you're all playing the same bit.

Although not necessary to learn completely, for me, the last chorus is where it get's really hair!

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1356878089' post='1914589']
Try basscamera.com. I saw it before, and while I don't think it's 100%, it's a good start. Will you be playing with a horn section or guitars? Important to make sure you're all playing the same bit.

Although not necessary to learn completely, for me, the last chorus is where it get's really hair!
[/quote]
[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1356885095' post='1914707']
The main riff on Sir Duke is all pentatonics and is a lot easier than it sounds. Learn it by ear and the playing it is not that hard.
[/quote]
its all what I'm hearing but very greatfull for the headsup ( easy though Bil??) I hope so
and thanks
no you tube links of a BCer?

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1356933160' post='1915271']
Try this - I found it pretty useful! There are two installments on the site to go through.

[url="http://www.how-to-play-bass.com/songs-sir-duke.html"]http://www.how-to-pl...s-sir-duke.html[/url]
[/quote]
nice one thanks!!

If you are trying to play from ear Hats off to you mate. If you are a reader, I have a really good transcription. If you only read TAB, I would be happy to rewrite the chart with not only string and fret positions but with the fingering added as I would play it. It would take a while but more than happy to do. Played this when it first came out in !970 something. Had to play it numerous times since, so its kinda second nature. It's all about moving your left hound to the right position so that what follows has the least of left hand movement. Not got bass handy at the moment, but I think for the riff there are only 6 left hand moves.

This was one song where even my novice reading skills helped! It is one of those songs where there are numerous versions with some being more 'jazzy' than others at the end, I have condensed my live version to playing the same run for the turnaround everytime as the full written version blows me away :o I build the chorus up a bit more each time though and I have seen people get away with a simpler version than mine and people make a much better fist of it than me! I struggle with the riff coming back down more than going up too :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='wal4string' timestamp='1357002788' post='1916343']
If you are trying to play from ear Hats off to you mate. If you are a reader, I have a really good transcription. If you only read TAB, I would be happy to rewrite the chart with not only string and fret positions but with the fingering added as I would play it. It would take a while but more than happy to do. Played this when it first came out in !970 something. Had to play it numerous times since, so its kinda second nature. It's all about moving your left hound to the right position so that what follows has the least of left hand movement. Not got bass handy at the moment, but I think for the riff there are only 6 left hand moves.
[/quote]
Wow!that is such a mammoth task I couldnt ask you do that!! but a million thanks!
there have been enough replies to this question to " get me there" but what a gentleman you are, its for a one off gig in may (but I will need that amount of time!! )
thank all of you chaps for all your help.
Though none of you are invited to the gig to see how I DO!! :lol:
thanks again to you all

[quote name='Simon' timestamp='1357560615' post='1924389']
Just my 2cents, but this is how I play it: [url="http://www.thebassment.info/artists/stevie_wonder.html"]http://www.thebassme...vie_wonder.html[/url]
[/quote]
What a great site .Thanks Simon.