Why become a member? ×

December Composition Competition - Voting Time!

charic

Cheers Nige!

Wowsers...

I really expected to get up this morning to a three way tie :blink:

Once again, what an excellent bunch of compositions we had this month, top work all ;)

Thanks to anyone who voted for my piece. I'll try and come up with an image for this month's comp as soon as I can, hopefully sometime today.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1357151912' post='1918276']
It's the canvassing for votes I have a major problem with. I think it's deeply unfair. I'm glad there's no prize this month, even if that means it gets a quarter of the votes it did last month, at least they are more likely to be honest votes.
[/quote]

First - apologies for not voting in the end. I meant to sit down and listen yesterday, and then didn't manage to find a few quiet minutes.

Second - I agree with Nigel. The same appears to happen with the photo competition, and there's certainly no prize there! There will always be members who ask their friends to vote for them no matter what. I have no solution to suggest, I'm afraid.

Third - I tweeted the comp for the whole month, as I did before, but I do believe that Christmas has distracted a lot of people from the comp(s) and the forum itself.

Finally - and I repeat myself - it would be good to be able to buy/download all the songs taking part in the comp every month.

Well done Bobby!

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1357210178' post='1919019']
Finally - and I repeat myself - it would be good to be able to buy/download all the songs taking part in the comp every month.
[/quote]

I'm thinking of sorting something like this of "Winners Entries" once we have a years worth of material :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1357210178' post='1919019']
[/quote]

You can download mine for free if you actually like them! :yarr:

[size=4][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Huge congrats to BobbyK! Well done mate. A cracking composition that I enjoyed listening to a number of times over Xmas. And you're a fellow Reason user too, so it feels like a win for the team ;) Good work.

I'll PM you about your prize of a BC polo shirt.[/font][/size]

Edited by Skol303

[size=4][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]While I'm here... I feel I should address the previous comments about November's voting. I was going to let it lie but they keep cropping up, and being the person who won I can't help thinking they're aimed at me. Plus it'd be a shame if they continue to dog these challenges in future.

I'm surprised that some of you seem baffled why November's challenge attracted much more attention than other months. It stands to reason that a big prize = more publicity = more people listening = more people voting. I'm fairly sure the sponsors of such competitions hope this will be the case too.

Me, I plug the competition each month to the same group of people: on Basschat (in the general forum) and externally to the [url="https://soundcloud.com/groups/basschat"]BC SoundCloud group[/url] and on [url="https://twitter.com/skol303"]Twitter[/url] (I have a Facebook page but it's useless - you can see for yourselves [url="https://www.facebook.com/skollob"]here[/url]). Each time I've won, the % of votes I've received has been fairly consistent: around 32% in September and October (the latter jointly with Silddx), and 37% in November. So some people out there must like my music regardless of there being a prize on offer.

Undoubtedly a lot of other people were promoting the competition in November and rightly so (if you weren't one of them, why not?). Some people may have been canvassing for folks to vote just for them - if so, it clearly didn't do them much good from where I'm standing.We ended up with the highest number of entries thus far, the most Facebook 'likes', the most Tweets and re-Tweets, etc, by a long chalk. I have no doubt it attracted a lot of new people to Basschat. And I think that's a good thing. I got 343 plays on SoundCloud last month and 77 this time round. So my message to anyone who helped publicise it because of the prize is: [i]don't slack off and please keep on doing so.[/i] I certainly am.

November came down to a three horse race (similar to December) and in the final stages I think people weren't bothering to listen to each entry but instead voted for their favourite among the top three. That probably applied even more so to BC newcomers. While that sucks I'm unashamedly happy that it was mine that ended up favourite. If anybody here feels their own track was more deserving then come out and say so - I won't be offended. Otherwise all this talk of canvassing and unfair play is at risk of sounding like sour grapes.

Peace and a happy new year to y'all.

Paul[/font][/size]

Edited by Skol303

Paul, I don't know if my comment looked like it was directed at you, but it wasn't. I've been tweeting the comp like mad every month since I became aware of its existence, and I wasn't implying that you as a winner had been canvassing for votes (I mentioned the photo comp for a reason). I voted for the song I honestly liked best, which ended up being one of the less popular IIRC.
Obviously, since November had a big prize, I tried to do as much justice as possible to the generous sponsor - they are on Twitter too, and I gave them a lot of click-through mentions and similar, as well as re-tweeting your plugs. Much the same for December, despite the lack of sponsors and therefore click-throughs. I think we did a good job. Now, if we could involve BC's FB account a little more, so that these plugs could reach a larger audience, I'm sure more sponsors would come forward, as they would begin to see the comp as a good advertising vehicle.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1357229039' post='1919435']Paul, I don't know if my comment looked like it was directed at you, but it wasn't.[/quote]

No worries Bluejay! Seriously. I don't feel under attack by anyone here, I just wanted to try clearing the air given that the issue of November's massive voting count keeps cropping up... and being the winner I felt compelled to say something.

You do a sterling job of helping to plug these monthly challenges on Twitter. And I know that between us we put out a good half dozen Tweets each in November. Given the number of people who voted, I personally feel like it was a job well done and will hopefully encourage other sponsors to get involved in future. That can only be a good thing in my opinion.

In future, it might be an idea to set up a more transparent voting system when big prizes are on offer (or shortlist entries to a final vote by a judging panel). I totally understand people's concerns regarding canvassing, but there's a big difference between that and promoting the competition and I'm certainly going to keep doing the latter.

Anyway, cheers again for the continued support - and maybe you should roll up your sleeves and get stuck in sometime this year?? *hint hint* :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1357228009' post='1919410'] [size=4][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]While I'm here... I feel I should address the previous comments about November's voting. I was going to let it lie but they keep cropping up, and being the person who won I can't help thinking they're aimed at me. Plus it'd be a shame if they continue to dog these challenges in future. I'm surprised that some of you seem baffled why November's challenge attracted much more attention than other months. It stands to reason that a big prize = more publicity = more people listening = more people voting. I'm fairly sure the sponsors of such competitions hope this will be the case too. Me, I plug the competition each month to the same group of people: on Basschat (in the general forum) and externally to the [url="https://soundcloud.com/groups/basschat"]BC SoundCloud group[/url] and on [url="https://twitter.com/skol303"]Twitter[/url] (I have a Facebook page but it's useless - you can see for yourselves [url="https://www.facebook.com/skollob"]here[/url]). Each time I've won, the % of votes I've received has been fairly consistent: around 32% in September and October (the latter jointly with Silddx), and 37% in November. So some people out there must like my music regardless of there being a prize on offer. Undoubtedly a lot of other people were promoting the competition in November and rightly so (if you weren't one of them, why not?). Some people may have been canvassing for folks to vote just for them - if so, it clearly didn't do them much good from where I'm standing.We ended up with the highest number of entries thus far, the most Facebook 'likes', the most Tweets and re-Tweets, etc, by a long chalk. I have no doubt it attracted a lot of new people to Basschat. And I think that's a good thing. I got 343 plays on SoundCloud last month and 77 this time round. So my message to anyone who helped publicise it because of the prize is: [i]don't slack off and please keep on doing so.[/i] I certainly am. November came down to a three horse race (similar to December) and in the final stages I think people weren't bothering to listen to each entry but instead voted for their favourite among the top three. That probably applied even more so to BC newcomers. While that sucks I'm unashamedly happy that it was mine that ended up favourite. If anybody here feels their own track was more deserving then come out and say so - I won't be offended. Otherwise all this talk of canvassing and unfair play is at risk of sounding like sour grapes. Peace and a happy new year to y'all. Paul[/font][/size] [/quote]

Paul, honestly mate, I wasn't implicating you or anyone else, it was a point of general principle. You deserve your win and I hope the build is going well x

It's cool, Nige. No sweat. Good to air these things anyway.

I really hope these challenges attract similar sponsors in future. Because with them come more listeners - and I hope I don't sound big headed or ungrateful by saying that the music we all make deserves more than 40 or so keen and dedicated voters each month. I very much agree with your principles regarding canvassing and was careful to avoid doing so while plugging the competition via my own limited contacts (I'm s*** at social media but I try!). That said we should maybe explore other ways of managing the voting in future when prizes are at stake. Be a shame to embargo promotion of the competitions as I feel we should all be shouting about them as much as we can.

Anyway... Thanks for the kind words mate and I'll keep y'all posted on the build. I'm waiting to hear back from 13 Guitar Co with news on a design - will post in the Build Diaries thread as it develops.

Cheers bud.

Thanks for the kind words everybody :)

It's hardly worth mentioning, but I can honestly say that I didn't promote my piece at all for December, or canvas for votes. I just relied on votes coming in from whoever had the time to listen. It's great that people got what I was trying to say with the piece.

It was great to take part and an added bonus to be voted the winner.

Now, get on over to the other thread and see what you can come up with for this month; I'm really looking forward to what comes out with this one :)

Nice one Bobby K, sorry i didnt congratulate you earlier but my modem blew up and i couldnt get online until i had a new one delivered today. Great track and deserved the votes!

I agree with Skol on the voting comments and you have to remember 13guitars were pushing it on the web as well as all over facebook, which is a good thing as it creates new members. Publicity was the point of the excercise for them I suppose and thats fair enough with the amazing prize offered. I had never heard of them but check them out on a regular basis now and have told many more about them so it works.

Congrats and all that Bobby :)