Why become a member? ×

are there any super bands with poor bass players?

iconic

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1356709926' post='1912770']
He never touched the bass again after Hendrix gave him the heave ho. He preferred guitar.
[/quote]

Thats because he's a guitarist. I've actually had the privilige of chatting with Noel for a couple of hours in a pub once, just me and him, it was great. He wouldnt consider himself lucky, or stumbled upon success. He enjoyed his time with Jimi & Mitch, but always wanted to play guitar. He was a more than capable bassist though, and acccompanied Jimi perfectly.

I'm also amazed at some of the negative comments about Adam Clayton on here, from apparently fellow bass players.

he's very melodic, and more than competent bass player
always produces the perfect bass line to some fantastic, and classic songs
can be in the front of the mix when needed, like Vertigo, or more in the back, whatever suits
has managed to change to suit the era and sound of the time, over 5 decades
recorded a more varied back catalogue than almost any other band i can think of over a similar period
always looks uber cool
dates supermodels
earns gazillions

someone compared him to stanley clarke on this thread? really? i bet stanley sometimes wishes he had Adam's life, I bet Adam never wishes he had Stanley's!! :P

Too many bass snobs i think. I'd rather listen to Adam play bass in his home studio than Stanley bore me to death any day of the week.

I'm not a big U2 fan by the way, just feel he's being unfairly criticised. its all subjective though isnt it, oh, and following some other comments, of course U2 are a supergroup.

I think threads like this always turn into a 'who i don't like' thread. I'll save my own thoughts on that one for the appropriate thread.

To comment on the thread, albeit rather boringly, there arent many supergroups to begin with are there (By my definition anyway), and i can't think of any with a poor bass player, i think they're all great, and very different, and all doing what we probably all want to do. I agree with previous coldplay comments though, although they arent a supergroup, but fair play to the guy, he's got his dream job, and he hasnt been found out yet, good luck to him.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1356827868' post='1914186']
I'm also amazed at some of the negative comments about Adam Clayton on here, from apparently fellow bass players.

can be in the front of the mix when needed, like Vertigo, or more in the back, whatever suits
recorded a more varied back catalogue than almost any other band i can think of over a similar period
always looks uber cool
dates supermodels
earns gazillions

someone compared him to stanley clarke on this thread? really? i bet stanley sometimes wishes he had Adam's life, I bet Adam never wishes he had Stanley's!! :P

Too many bass snobs i think. I'd rather listen to Adam play bass in his home studio than Stanley bore me to death any day of the week.

I'm not a big U2 fan by the way, just feel he's being unfairly criticised. its all subjective though isnt it, oh, and following some other comments, of course U2 are a supergroup.

I think threads like this always turn into a 'who i don't like' thread. I'll save my own thoughts on that one for the appropriate thread.

To comment on the thread, albeit rather boringly, there arent many supergroups to begin with are there (By my definition anyway), and i can't think of any with a poor bass player, i think they're all great, and very different, and all doing what we probably all want to do. I agree with previous coldplay comments though, although they arent a supergroup, but fair play to the guy, he's got his dream job, and he hasnt been found out yet, good luck to him.
[/quote]
a fat [b]+1[/b]

I only wonder nobody mentioned the stones yet. :ph34r:
ok, before darryl. :P

well, bill is not really bad, and quite a few songs need this "wrong" vibe.....but seriously....

Edited by krysh

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1356823893' post='1914139']
Listen to the original demo of "Heart of Glass", it's bloody awful. All of them play horrifically...
[/quote]

was he on it..?? never knew why he was kicked out/left?
Not that I follow them that closely, just that he was on the first proper gig I went to...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356708740' post='1912744']

+1 on this comment on Michael Anthony of Van Halen . He's a superb hard rock bass player who is no slouch when the mood takes him . Listen to the first VH album and Michael plays some clever stuff throughout without ever cramping EVHs style or getting in the way . An underrated player in my estimation , and not poor by any stretch of the imagination .
[/quote]
I read an interview with him this year where he said he was careful not to overplay in Van Halen because it was all about Eddie's guitar playing and he was supporting that and the song.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1356838483' post='1914244']

was he on it..?? never knew why he was kicked out/left?
Not that I follow them that closely, just that he was on the first proper gig I went to...
[/quote]
You know, I'm not sure if he is...
Never been a huge follower of them

[quote name='Clarebear68' timestamp='1356858532' post='1914279']
I read an interview with him this year where he said he was careful not to overplay in Van Halen because it was all about Eddie's guitar playing and he was supporting that and the song.
[/quote]
Michael Anthonys playing with V.H. was top class IMO. Their debut album and fair warning were streets ahead of anything else they have done IMO. Satriani, Smith and Hagger are happy to use him for the Chickenfoot project and that is an endorsement of his ability by top class musicians

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1356869894' post='1914430']
Michael Anthonys playing with V.H. was top class IMO. Their debut album and fair warning were streets ahead of anything else they have done IMO. Satriani, Smith and Hagger are happy to use him for the Chickenfoot project and that is an endorsement of his ability by top class musicians
[/quote]
Agreed. FW is their best album in my opinion, though I think some of MA's best playing is to be found on VHII.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1356870814' post='1914445']
Agreed. FW is their best album in my opinion, though I think some of MA's best playing is to be found on VHII.
[/quote]
Yea FW is fab but the impact the first album had on the music seen when it was released knocked everyone out and still sounds as good today (on vinyl). Stunning

All those slagging offf Michael Anthony are wide of the mark . The guy is a very capable player . If you listen to the early VH albums I really don't see how anyone could fault him . I can personally vouch for him , having heard him play on a one- to -one level , and he can do a very good JPJ and John Entwistle impersonation when the mood takes him .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356872273' post='1914486']
All those slagging offf Michael Anthony are wide of the mark . The guy is a very capable player . If you listen to the early VH albums I really don't see how anyone could fault him . I can personally vouch for him , having heard him play on a one- to -one level , and he can do a very good JPJ and John Entwistle impersonation when the mood takes him .
[/quote]

That`s exactly it Dingus - just cos a guy plays a root note bassline on his recordings doesn`t mean that`s all he is capable of, it means he/his band/his producer has made the decision that`s what the song required. I think MA is very good - listen to his rumbling root note basslines locking so well with the drums, ideal platform for DLR & EVH to work on. Takes good musical knowledge to realise another "star/lead" is not required in that instance.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356872273' post='1914486']
[/quote]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1356872661' post='1914498']
That`s exactly it Dingus - just cos a guy plays a root note bassline on his recordings doesn`t mean that`s all he is capable of, it means he/his band/his producer has made the decision that`s what the song required. I think MA is very good - listen to his rumbling root note basslines locking so well with the drums, ideal platform for DLR & EVH to work on. Takes good musical knowledge to realise another "star/lead" is not required in that instance.
[/quote]
+1 He does exactly what is required. Gets a beautiful low end tone with just enough bite that cuts through very well in the mix. This honours the roll of what is the fundamental requirement of the bass quitarist in a rock setting. i have played a number of VH tunes in various cover bands over the years and they are anything but straightforward. Timing, feel, and note selection top class IMO

Hmmm ... You'd think if you we're going to have a solo feature in the same show as EVH... who is simply a gtr genius, IMO, then you should come prepared with your A game ... And if people who know the guys playing better think that is his A game then I think it is fair to comment on it.

I would hope in the early days he worked harder...!!!!!
Still. He must have made a decent $ so I doubt he cares

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1356827868' post='1914186']

always looks uber cool
dates supermodels
earns gazillions

[/quote]

Rick , I think you are a little bit confused here . Firstly , I agree with you wholeheartedly that Adam Clayton is a perfectly good bass player within the context of U2 as a band , and went so far as to defend AC and his contribution to bass playing earlier in this thread . It was me who said that Adam was no Stanley Clarke , but I said he was all the better for that . The point was made as one of contrast , not comparison . However , when you start saying Adam isn't a bad bass player because he always looks cool ( not to me he doesn't ) , dates supermodels and earns lots of money then there we have to part company . None of those things make one iota of difference to how good or bad Adam Clayton is as a bass player . They are all a complete irrelevance . The only thing that has any bearing on how good a player he is is what he [b]plays [/b]and how he plays it -the rest is sophistry . Put another way , the only thing that separates a bass player from any other member of the general public who cannot is their ability to play the bass guitar , nothing else . Furthermore , when you start speculating about how much Stanley Clarke might envy Adam Claytons lifestyle , I can't see what bearing that would have on eithers [i]playing , [/i]or anything else that might be pertinant . Just for your information , Stanley Clarke is a millionaire and last I heard , had luxury homes in Long Island and LA ,( although his divorce a while back may have impacted on that slightly !) . Besides that , even if it's a question of image , who could be cooler than Stanley Clarke ? He took on the world armed only with an Alembic bass , his prodigious talent and a very impressive afro hairstyle .

Looks like a stylish man to me .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1356874241' post='1914524']
Hmmm ... You'd think if you we're going to have a solo feature in the same show as EVH... who is simply a gtr genius, IMO, then you should come prepared with your A game ... And if people who know the guys playing better think that is his A game then I think it is fair to comment on it.

[/quote]

To be fair to Michael , I think his solo spot in the VH was designed to be a bit of showbiz more than it is designed to show off his virtuosity . He might not be a soloist , but his ensemble playing is much more than just simple root notes ect .

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1356874241' post='1914524']

[/quote]
Even guitar geniuses dont always have their A game together.. Guess he too has made his dosh and has given up caring. As for Woflgang van Halen........well thats another story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnYvIfG9Vb4

Edited by leroydiamond