Why become a member? ×

Head Suggestions

KennysFord

Hey Folks,
I need to get a new used) gig worthy head, 500 watts absolute minimum with some warmth to the tone.

I'm sick of throwing money at amps only to find they don't work for me, my budget won't stretch to new high end stuff so I'm looking for suggestions for used amps to consider please.

The nicest sounding head I've had up to now was an Eden WT550 but that went into clipping to early so it had to go. I liked my SVT3 but not enough to keep it so that went too.
I'm currently using a H+K Quantum 600 but that's too aggressive in the mids for me, It sounds just like the Markbass TTE500 and I didn't get on with that at all, no sirree !!

I've been thinking about the Ashdown ABM series as they're supposed to be a warm sounding head so first question is any ideas on how they compare to the Eden WT series tone wise and I might as well throw the SVT7 in the mix too as I dig the Ampeg thing.

I'll welcome any other suggestions you fine people have.
Thanks in advance.
B)

Edited by kennyrodg

I`ve not had any of those amps, but the Ampeg PF500 is a warm sounding amp, and everyone who has commented on the SVT7-PRO has said how they thought it was warmer than the PF, so it may be the way forward. I`ve had the PF500 and SVT3-PRO, and of the two I preferred the PF, so this would lean me towards the 7.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Cabs, For smaller gigs I've settled on a BFM Omni 2x10 with an Omni 10.5 1x10 stacked. For the bigger gigs, weddings and functions etc I'm using a Laney NX810 (sealed). NB, this is not for massive volume, just articulation and punch. I also need a tall set up as I really struggle to hear cabs that are less than a meter high.
Budget is approx £650 tops give or take.
Cheers.
B)

Hi Pete, one of the nicest heads (if not the nicest) I ever had was the twin channel Aguilar AG500, truly warm, punchy and articulate. Why the fook I ever sold that I'll never know.

You could pick one up used in vgc for that sort of money.

I had an Ashdown ABM500 once and I loved the tone but it was getting on a bit and I was scared to use it without back up (which I didn't have at the time). I'd love a Klystron head - I'd just need someone to carry it for me.

I think an Ashdown would suit you mate.

Eden and Ashdown are going to sound very different.

I've only ever tried Ashdown heads through Ashdown cabs and, in my very personal opinion, they've only ever sounded like mud playing through sludge :(

Totally different experience with Eden. Cleaner, punchier, much more modern. Classic modern American sounds as standard and lots of variation available once you get the hang of the Enhance control :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1356283528' post='1908778']
I've only ever tried Ashdown heads through Ashdown cabs and, in my very personal opinion, they've only ever sounded like mud playing through sludge :(
[/quote]

I've played quite alot of Ashdowns, and while a few do sound very wooly (their combos are the worst offenders), they are otherwise very nice, warm sounding heads (especially the ABM series). Oddly, one of the nicest Ashdown setups I have used is one of their budget range; a MAG600 head paired with a MAG410 Deep cab with my sansamp going through it. It gave the sansamp an incredible edge that I never never heard through another amp (other than my Landmark).

I reckon the OP would get on very nicely with an ABM head :)

Edited by jackers

Not Ashdown.... :lol:

If you rated Eden, then I don't understand how Ashdown gets into the conversation

I had their Evo 500 plugged into some cabs I was selling ...and the cabs were pretty clean and all the amp did was stink up the sound
no matter what I did...
I understand why people might say they are muddy..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1356371516' post='1909668']
Not Ashdown.... :lol:

If you rated Eden, then I don't understand how Ashdown gets into the conversation

I had their Evo 500 plugged into some cabs I was selling ...and the cabs were pretty clean and all the amp did was stink up the sound
no matter what I did...
I understand why people might say they are muddy..
[/quote]

I have only ever had 2 amps fail, both Ashdown, they were heavy and muddy too! (Abm)
There are far better micros out there imho
Go to Bass Direct and test drive some.... Oh and malke sure you set a limit on your credit card before you go!

Me too. I have an ABM EVO 2 and it sounds amazing. Every audience I play to and all my other band members are always blown away by the tone. Can't possibly see how people can say they're crap. Totally baffles me. I know its all my opinion but wooly? I've owned and played many classic amps and the ashdown does it all with bells on.

And JJ Burnell uses Ashdown as well. I know he has his own signature amp, but there was a thread on here about his tour in Oz, where he was using regular Ashdown amps. I can`t imagine him settling for a woolly sound - would completely destroy The Stranglers sound.