Why become a member? ×

walking basslines poptastic song examples

iconic

Since my discovery of a mop topped beat group called the Beatles
Ive become more aware of walking basslines...oh and
Slades merry Christmas!

Can anyone point me in the direction of some more classic examples?

I'm not a real hardcore jazz fan, so anything poppy n popular!

Edited by iconic

Glad someone else has spotted the bassline in Slade's Merry Christmas, it's a guilty pleasure.

There's kind of a halfway house to walking which is just playing the major triad or pentatonic (rock'n'roll/rockabilly) or the minor pentatonic (blues/rock) which is a bit simpler. I was struggling to 'get ' the walking bass until I read the trick is that the last note of the bar is in the key of the next chord not the preceding one, ie the bass walks up to the next chord just before the guitars change which is what gives it the feel of movement. Most walking basslines seem to use a fixed step up each time so for instance you use the major 7th to lead to the next chord each time.

Crazy little thing called love- Queen

[quote name='pnefc42' timestamp='1355920888' post='1904462']
A truely great walking bass part can be found on David Lee Roth's 'Just a Gigalo/I Ain't Got Nobody' (from his 'Crazy From The Heat' EP) - a brilliant bass part from start to finish & walking heaven! Check it out!!

Cheers
Dave
[/quote]

Great [piss] take on Hollywood and Broadway.
Good stuff.

Garry

Keep 'um coming guys, great stuff...Tainted Love, of course!

[b]ELO Blue Sky....spooky I heard that last night and text'd myself to give it go.[/b]

[b]Last note is lead to first note to next chord, that's the secret, good explanation in Bass Guitar For Dummies...but how did they know I was gonna buy that book?[/b]

Edited by iconic

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1355922451' post='1904489']
No suggestions here, I just wanted to say that I learned Slade's Merry Christmas the other night for a gig this Saturday. Great bassline! I practically never go walkies and it is a real challenge to remember/play something different. Really enjoy it!
[/quote]

same here, I'm finding walking basslines quite educational, now I [i]really[/i] need to look at the chord notation..major, minor, diminished, dominant 7, half diminished etc

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1355922451' post='1904489']
No suggestions here, I just wanted to say that I learned Slade's Merry Christmas the other night for a gig this Saturday. Great bassline! I practically never go walkies and it is a real challenge to remember/play something different. Really enjoy it!
[/quote]

This is known as nominative determinism, all your songs should be chrismuzz songs :)