Why become a member? ×

Is my new instrument is actually an ex-demo?

The Dark Lord

Just become the proud owner of a new Gibson.

Okay, it's actually a Gibson SG Standard SG [u]six-string-guitar[/u] - but the point I'm making here is as relevant to new bass purchases.

Courier delivers the guitar in new box etc. When I open it up - it doesn't seem [i]entirely [/i]new.

There are no body dings or scratches, but it is missing that new guitar woody smell that new rosewood Gibsons have.

It's covered in thumb and hand prints (it's a gloss black guitar) and there are quite a number of scratches on the pickguard (which still has the plastic cover on). I'm 98% sure they won't have made a mark when I remove it.

On the back there are sort of micro-scratch swirl type things. Not massive, but detectable.

I guess the guitar has been hanging in the shop and some people have played it. To what degree I don't know.

The shop say that 90% of their new stock [b]does indeed[/b] hang in its shops and can potentially be played. Although they are very apologetic and say that it should have been polished up and cleaned perfectly.

Also missing the case candy (strap, lead, cloth, polish, spanner etc)

I won't mention the very well known chain store whom I ordered it from - as they are being co-operative and I am negotiating with them right now.

I'm just disappointed as I was expecting a bright shiny new Gibbo.

Should I expect this - or is this actually an ex-demo rather than a bight shiny new guitar?

I mean, I will take it to rehearsals and it will end up like this after a few plays anyway - but should I accept this?

Edited by The Dark Lord

If I'd bought that from the shop I've bought most of my gear off I'd be asking - and I know I'd get - at least a 10% discount........ and the missing candy, especially the spanner is just not on, it kinda proves your suspicions.
If it was sold at less than RRP (as was) then they still have to make it clear that it's been used/ex-display up front.

Personally speaking---I don't mind buying an instrument if its been on the shop wall. In fact, if I go into a shop and demo an instrument then I want to walk out with the same instrument that I've been trying, not some random one boxed out the back. On its own, the fact that they didn't polish/clean it before they sent it is not very cool and I'd maybe try and get some free strings or something from them as an apology...

HOWEVER, with all that said, having the case candy missing is totally unacceptable. If they supply you with the correct stuff and a suitable apology then I'd maybe let it slide, otherwise it'd be going back or I'd be asking for a serious discount.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1355333949' post='1897130']
If I'd bought that from the shop I've bought most of my gear off I'd be asking - and I know I'd get - at least a 10% discount........ and the missing candy, especially the spanner is just not on, it kinda proves your suspicions.
If it was sold at less than RRP (as was) then they still have to make it clear that it's been used/ex-display up front.
[/quote]

Yup, certainly eBay shops are not meant to sell guitars that have been hanging in shops as new, only 'shop soiled' or 'used' i was told by one particular chain. I'd bought a bass but wanted to know why it was marked as soiled. The shop sent me photographs of it in pristine condition and were very up front with me saying that it had been hanging in the shop, hence the substantial price drop.

Distance selling laws allow you to send the item back if you are not happy - and given the condition of the instrument, I'd name and shame and send it back if they sold it to you as a NEW guitar. It's not on and the distributors would have a fit about it too. Shops should be discouraged from taking the p*ss out of customers.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1355334222' post='1897135']
If it's got great fretwork and plays really well . . . I'd keep it - provided I knew I'd got an acceptable deal for a near mint display model. Get them to forward you all of the case candy . . . or a nice refund. You may be able to get both.
[/quote]

Agree, if its a player, keep it, and negotiate.

It's an SG. Send it back and get a proper guitar. :)

Seriously though, if you like it, then use your (justified) annoyance at its condition to extract a reasonable discount/sweetener. And if you don't like it, then return it under distance selling regs. But, IIRC, in that latter case, it's better if you don't mention any issues with it, because you want to be clear that you are returning it under the DSR rules, and not because there is something wrong with it.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1355334392' post='1897137']
Shops should be discouraged from taking the p*ss out of customers.
[/quote]

There is another side to this - all those shops (that we bemoan are fast disappearing) that have to hold stock and allow us grimy musicians in to play their instruments for us to then turn around and say "this is ex-demo" or "yes I like this but can I have a boxed one" or worst of all, "yes, I like this but I'll buy it from GAK/Thomann/A.N.Other". Instruments are not like TV's, fridges etc, they are all that bit different and we should be going in to shops to try out and find the one we like best. The fact that the scratchplate covering is marked is the whole point the covering is on there in the first place! Ex music shop owner rant over :( !

this happened with me recently. my lady bought it from an online retailer. guitar just wasnt right, really old dead strings, nasty action etc, tarnished tuers, and didnt have that new feel or smell but definately not played in. I sent it back and they sent a replacement. turns out this one had case candy (spare acoustic saddle and pins, allen key etc.)that was missing from the first one. And there I thought it had come straight from their warehouse!

I have to say that the well-known shop chain people have been very nice. They expressed disappointment in themselves for doing this and have ordered another from another branch .... although they are not sure whether this other one is a "warehouse" model or another one that has been hanging on a wall.

They want me to pop down (they are only 4 miles away from my office) and consider swapping mine for the other one they are getting in and they will get me all of the case candy.

I'm happy with this after service - but still a bit let down that I didn't get that special new guitar experience.

I will insist on a new set of Ernie Ball Slinkys for it at least ...... and I'll see what else they say.

If we reach a reasonable solution then I think I should not name and shame. If they fall short and start to treat me with disdain - their name is going on every review site and forum I can get my hands on.

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1355346210' post='1897312']
There is another side to this - all those shops (that we bemoan are fast disappearing) that have to hold stock and allow us grimy musicians in to play their instruments for us to then turn around and say "this is ex-demo" or "yes I like this but can I have a boxed one" or worst of all, "yes, I like this but I'll buy it from GAK/Thomann/A.N.Other". Instruments are not like TV's, fridges etc, they are all that bit different and we should be going in to shops to try out and find the one we like best. The fact that the scratchplate covering is marked is the whole point the covering is on there in the first place! Ex music shop owner rant over :( !
[/quote]

Some good points made here. We cant have it both ways. I'd rather be able to play a bass, decide i liked it, and buy that very one. Knowing it had been hanging up in the shop. As long as I examined it closely and was happy with it. Its better to have one you have played and liked, rather than one new out of a box. If it has the odd scratch, who cares? Just negotiate a discount or some spare strings, strap etc.

Yes the shop should have cleaned it first. But if they were upfront about 90% of what they sell has been hanging in the shop, then you only have to call them on sending you the instrument in an un polished state, and without the usual accompanying extras.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1355333682' post='1897121']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The shop say that 90% of their new stock [/font][/color][b]does indeed[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] hang in its shops and can potentially be played[/font][/color]
[/quote]

In that case I don't see what the problem is with respect to the condition of the instrument at least.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1355346210' post='1897312']
[/quote]
I know what you're saying and largely agree. I am just asking on this thread if my experience is something that is normal.

I am a BIG supporter of local shops (of all kinds) but my local music shop in particular, whose proprietor ...... Martin of MB Music in Bognor ..... will tell you that I am a very good customer of his. He doesn't do Gibsons though and I wanted an SG or a Les Paul - hence why i went with a chain store.

As I said, I'm very happy with the attitude of the chain store guys so far and will be reasonable with them - as always.

Edited by The Dark Lord

I think it should be as in test driven cars, regardless if it will end up the same within a few days/gigs etc.

It should not be sold as new, but rather demo model with a discount

Only exception with a guitar to this I see, would be if you say you want X model, and the shop says, I only have the one on the wall in stock mate, take it or leave it at retail mate. Then its up to you

But if they've new stock they could offer you, or didn't inform you it was a demo and you agreed to pay the full price regardless, then thats not on.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1355354968' post='1897446']
Guitar guitar? I've had similar experiences with them.
[/quote]

Recently ordered a guitar from these guys - it was advertised as pre owned and in good condition. When it turned up I was unable to find any marks on it anywhere and even the frets were unscratched. Either they packed a brand new on by mistake or this guitar had never been played. That said, i needed to do some minor set up work on it. But for the price - I was well chuffed.

If a brand new bass turns up with marks on it - I would be expecting some kind of refund.