Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic Polytune Mini - doesn't work on bass!?

TRBboy

Just received a TC Electronic Polytune Mini, but polyphonic mode doesn't seem to work! On the face of it, it seems to be the same as the normal version just smaller, and there's no mention anywhere that polyphonic mode doesn't work for bass, but it just doesn't seem to work!

Can anyone shed any light on this? Am I just being thick!? :D

You mean the thing where you play all the strings at once and it shows them up which ones are in tune and which ones aren't? The big one doesn't do that on bass either. Tl be quite honest it's completely hit or miss on guitar too! Bit gimicky if you ask me, but overall it's a really great tuner and I love mine.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1354837397' post='1891218']
The big one doesn't do that on bass either
[/quote]

Mine does.
Of course,it's not as accurate as playing the strings individually but it still works with all my basses.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1354837568' post='1891221']
Mine does.
Of course,it's not as accurate as playing the strings individually but it still works with all my basses.
[/quote]

Thanks Doddy, just noticed on the TC website that a similar comment has been left and TC responded saying that the big one does. I wish they would state this on all the info about the mini! Looks like I'll be sending it back tomorrow then....... quite annoyed because I'd had it sent ASAP for an important gig tomorrow night. :(

Polyphonic mode aside, it's by far the most accurate tuner i've ever used!

i have both the mini and the "maxi" - the poly mode has always worked for me on the maxi (it's set to bass mode and poly works so not sure it's true that there is no official bass poly mode?) - I haven't tried poly on the mini, which sits on my nano board, but to be honest I prefer a quick single string check. However when the mini's been on and I have hit too many strings, I am sure I have seen poly mode engage? I will check out later, could be the drink!

Edited by RichF

Thanks from all the replies folks.

Had confirmation from TC this morning that the mini does not do polyphonic tuning for the bass, but the original one does. Apparently the original one will tune as low as a low A comfortably, before it starts struggling a bit.

Just Wang to also say how amazing Dolphin Music's customer service has been through this! Great communication, quick responses, and very helpful. They should receive the mini back on Monday and despatch the original one for delivery on Tuesday. Can't say fairer than that!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1354872939' post='1891380']....
Neither the Polytune nor Polytune Mini manuals mention a poly mode for bass, ....
[/quote]
Huh? The manual online for the big Polytune sure mentions poly mode for bass - look on page 10 here:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/Polytune_DD_US.pdf
This seems to be for the most recent version, that does Drop D tunings. I've got the original, which doesn't do drop D, but it certainly does bass in poly mode.

The mini manual doesn't say anything about poly for bass though.

And, to be fair, I agree with those who find the poly mode less accurate. So all this is a bit moot!

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1354955704' post='1892276']

Huh? The manual online for the big Polytune sure mentions poly mode for bass - look on page 10 here:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/Polytune_DD_US.pdf
This seems to be for the most recent version, that does Drop D tunings. I've got the original, which doesn't do drop D, but it certainly does bass in poly mode.

The mini manual doesn't say anything about poly for bass though.

And, to be fair, I agree with those who find the poly mode less accurate. So all this is a bit moot!
[/quote]

I appreciate that polyphonic mode probably isn't as accurate, but surely it's useful as a quick tuning check between songs, etc?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1354959657' post='1892319']
I was going to start a thread about the big one as I'm about to get one, nearly went for the mini until I realised (was told) it only works off a power supply! Looks like everyone is happy with their big ones though? If so Santa best pop one in his sack!
[/quote]

The big one is great and highly recommended.
I bought the mini originally because the sales guy said it would work with batteries... :angry: it does not so I had an hour trip back to the bloody shop.
Buy the full size model or wait and see if santa has it in his sack. :)

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1354892768' post='1891714']

Just Wang to also say how amazing Dolphin Music's customer service has been through this! Great communication, quick responses, and very helpful. They should receive the mini back on Monday and despatch the original one for delivery on Tuesday. Can't say fairer than that!
[/quote]

Looks like he's happy with his Wang too!
:)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1354959657' post='1892319']
I was going to start a thread about the big one as I'm about to get one, nearly went for the mini until I realised (was told) it only works off a power supply! Looks like everyone is happy with their big ones though? If so Santa best pop one in his sack!
[/quote]

If you were going to use it on a board anyway the smaller one makes sense as. still just as bright and accurate, still mutes sound when it's on. And the polyphonic tuning is really difficult to grasp(personally)

I can see why you'd go for the bigger one if you just want a pedal tuner and that's it. But then I'd go for the boss one as it's easier to get the battery in and out without a screwdriver.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1355054752' post='1893331']
I had the big one and can't say I used the polyphonic-ness to any great effect, for whatever reason just was all over the place, so would end up tuning individually anyway.
Plus my board is tiny so space is at a premium.
[/quote]

I don't when they enabled bass in polyphonic mode, but I know that the big one didn't support bass polyphonic tuning originally. If you have an older one though, you can apparently download a software upgrade from the website.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1355055119' post='1893340']
I don't when they enabled bass in polyphonic mode, but I know that the big one didn't support bass polyphonic tuning originally. If you have an older one though, you can apparently download a software upgrade from the website.
[/quote]

I did update mine but it just didn't want to do it with any real accuracy, and by the time I've tuned one string I had to strum all of them again to go onto the next. So just doing them individually became to as quick and more accurate.

And like I say, my board only has three pedal, a filter and a power supply and it's still a squeeze.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1355055119' post='1893340']
[/quote]
I don't know when it was, but it must have been fairly early on - the first reviews of the pedal seem to appear around January 2010, and mine, which I bought in April 2010, came already with a polyphonic setting for bass. The upgrade advertised on the TC site only refers to Drop D tuning. But then, they don't seem to be very informative about these upgrades - for some other pedals they offer an upgrade without saying anything about what it does!

And regarding the comment about the polytune needing a screwdriver to access the battery compartment - no, a penny coin will do. Ok, it's not as easy as Boss pedals, but it's still easier than many.

Well the big one came and seems to work just fine in polyphonic mode, especially just as a quick check between songs.

I'm a little surprised that it doesn't mute when you click it on though!? It just reduces the volume slightly, is this normal?