Why become a member? ×

Who owns the PA?

davehux

I own the PA and take a larger cut of gig money. This way, I earn enough money to upgrade and cover breakages. I used to be in a band that had a kitty with which to pay for stuff; problem being that when someone left the band, they'd technically paid 25% of new gear and sees nothing back from it!

Singer should have invested in their own mic at least.

Truckstop

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1353350844' post='1874125']
It stays with the band if anyone leaves and last one(s) standing if we were to ever split up will own it.
[/quote]
This is one reason that I don't like doing the 'band ownership' thing. It means that someone is benefiting
majorly from everyone else. If one guy leaves does his replacement get a share of the gear? If the new
guy is the 'last one standing' does he get the PA even though he never put anything towards it?

we don't take the money out straight away that we get for gigs so band funds bought the PA, nobodies left yet so I'm not sure what'll happen then, as for somebody buying it then renting it out to the band isn't that the same thing except somebody gets a PA for nowt?

Edited by PaulWarning

I own ours 'cos I'm the one who sings through it. We used to borrow one from a mate, but one day with a gig looming it wasn't available, so I bit the bullet and went and bought a PA. It can be a bleeding nuisance as I have more kit than everybody else to transport and load in and out. Never occurred to me to take a bigger cut of the money-actually I may bring up the subject!

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1353363720' post='1874337']
Never occurred to me to take a bigger cut of the money-actually I may bring up the subject!
[/quote]

Does everybody else use it? doesn't seem fair asking for a bigger cut from people who don't use the PA.

Edited by MrTaff

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1353365086' post='1874364']
Does everybody else use it? doesn't seem fair asking for a bigger cut from people who don't use the PA.
[/quote]
Seems fair enough when it comes to repairing/replacing it. All the band gets use of it, because you're not going to get gigs without one.

Ideally the singer should own the PA, but it rarely seems to work out that way.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1353366105' post='1874387']
Seems fair enough when it comes to repairing/replacing it. All the band gets use of it, because you're not going to get gigs without one.
[/quote]

You could say the same about any bass gear, but nobody expects the band to pay for it, you're responsible for the stuff you use imo.

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1353372941' post='1874466']
You could say the same about any bass gear, but nobody expects the band to pay for it, you're responsible for the stuff you use imo.
[/quote]
Like I said, ideally the singer would own the PA. But since they hardly ever do and the band [i]needs[/i] a PA something has got to be done, hence the OP's dilemma. Whilst you're right in principle, in practice sticking to your guns on this would more often than not mean that the band doesn't gig.

[quote name='Blink' timestamp='1353344360' post='1873975']
I own the pa mixer and front line. The rest of the band are responsible for their own monitors (in ear or otherwise) and mics. Seems to work OK and spreads the transport issues.
[/quote]

This is how we do it and pay for the P.A per gig. The owner doesn't expect to get the P.A bought for him, as he uses it on other gigs, but carries it and we all load in and set-up.

In a 5 piece band we split the take 6 ways and the 6th share goes to P.A, lights, admin and kitty so whoever does what job gets to invoice the kitty for services etc.

This question comes up often.

It can cause quite a bit of argument if not handled correctly. Irrespective if it's 'just for vocals' it will end up being used for background music, announcements, backing vocals etc.

The best solution is to buy the PA out of band funds and it's owned by the band as a consumable. Every gig the band puts £50 or whatever into funds. That money never belonged to anyone so is never owed to anyone. If you leave then you get nothing, if the band splits then the PA is sold and money split. The individual bits of a PA aren't worth much on their own.

The problem with this approach is storage. Who loads the PA and brings it to gigs? Do they get paid? Then people who don't understand how quickly it all depreciates get frustrated when the band splits and want their £750 share from the £3k PA that's now only worth £750 in total.

Owning bits of the PA doesn't work, if one person leaves with the speakers the band is stuffed.

Hiring is a good solution, but gets old real quick when someone has to book and collect gear each gig. You end up getting different rig each gig. What I ended up doing was buying a PA and hiring it to the band. This also has problems as after so many gigs the band feel they have somehow paid for the PA and don't think thay should still be paying for it. What they don't see is you storing it, bringing it to gigs, fixing leads etc. The band were getting £3k worth of gear for £50 a time. I told them try to hire it somewhere and I would pay them £12 a gig and just turn up with my bass gear. They grumbled a bit, thought about it, then would bring up the question again every few gigs.

You're dealing with people who don't generally understand what's happening in the world around them and just see £50 going into someone else's pocket and not theirs. I play in a different band now who do understand.

Edited by TimR

we've just had the storage/transportation problem, it got resolved by everybody being responsible for different bits, I got the speakers (biggest car) the singer the PA/mixer, monitor and leads, the guitard got the mic bag and smoke machine and the drummer got the lights and speaker stands, working so far

[quote name='Rothers' timestamp='1353408404' post='1874613']
Our lead singer owns the PA as we only use it for vocal and to link in the monitors. The drummer owns a powered monitor and I have recently bought a slave to work directly from that.
[/quote]

That's a perfect example of why it's not just the singers responsibility. Monitoring. It can be a complete nightmare if you can't hear the vocals.

I built all our speaker cabs so I defo own them. I also bought the amps, rack gear, mixer, cables, lights and smoke machine. Drummer owns drum mics and his vocal mic, singer owns his mic and guitarist brings vocal mic and amp cab mic. I dont charge the band for it as they're all really grateful and all help lifting it in/out of venues and all put cash in if something gets danaged and needs replacing. Main thing is they all say thanks.
It does however give me leverage. We had a drummer who started complaining we weren't getting enough cash. I do most of the booking leg work so when he started stropping with me the rest stood firmly behind me and eventually he got turfed out.
I'd like to think its cos I'm popular but I'm realistic enough to know the truth.