Why become a member? ×

sick of my hardcase!

lefrash

For 15 years I have used a padded gig bag. Never had any issues until it started to come away at the seams. 15 years was a decent innings though. For some strange reason I was adamant I wanted a hardcase. I got a cheapo one for £50. Absolutely delighted with it until I started to gig with it. Its horrible!! Massive, cumbersome and simply not practical. Going to gigs on a bus is a definite no and it doesnt even fit in in the boot of my car! I need to lay it along the back seat.

So much so, I've just went and got another gig bag - looks nicely padded so should be good enough. I'l keep it just incase i ever go 'on tour' or even if If a bass is going into storage somewhere, but really, it was pretty much a waste of £50!

I'm also quite annoyed at myself for getting a 4u case for my 2u lh500. It now makes my normal sized rig a nightmare to cart about. This is easily fixed I know, but I'm still pissed off at myself!

Dont know why I've posted this, Just wanted to vent my frustrations! haha

Fraser

I reckon the semi hard ones are the way forward, like the Sadowsky one or the Pro Racket one I just picked up. Mine has movable pads to secure the bass so it doesn't move, then the polywhatever has a massive amount of crumple space if an accident were to happen. A bit bigger than a padded gigbag, but obviously more sturdy and possibly also more than a conventuals hard case too. Not cheap though.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1353170839' post='1872389']
I personally would never use a gig bag, just don't trust them to protect my bass, especially in the back of the van.
[/quote]

True enough, but a flight case equally isn't much use if you've got to travel by public transport or walk long distances with your bass. It's all about picking the right case for your own individual needs.

I'm still not convinced by the current crop of semi rigid gig bags. I own the Mono M80 which AFAIK is the lightest, but it's not very comfortable to wear on a 30 minute walk and some of the others are almost as big and heavy as a Hiscox Lite Flight.

Edited by BigRedX

I have a couple of gig bags with rucksack straps, and the big danger with them is smacking the head of the bass when going through ornery people-size doorways. Otherwise it is great to be able to carry bass, lightweight amp and cab in one trip from car to venue!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1353174663' post='1872452'] smacking the head of the bass when going through ornery people-size doorways.
[/quote]Been there, done that. The way it pulls your upper body back through the door must look quite comical to others, especially when you've got both hands full of other bass gear that then swings back through the door too.

Sound like theres guys in the same boat as me! Last nights gig again just annoyed me. All the gear was getting shoved in the back of quite a large estate car, and the only awkward piece of gear was my bass! Very frustrating. Not for long though. Yay!

And the forums back up! Yes!

I too have a thing about bulky hard cases and soft cases. One day i dreamt up a case half way between and a quick search on the internet produced excellent results to my surprise. The Protection Racket Semi Hard Case as mentioned above is excellent.

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1353367795' post='1874419']
I too have a thing about bulky hard cases and soft cases. One day i dreamt up a case half way between and a quick search on the internet produced excellent results to my surprise. The Protection Racket Semi Hard Case as mentioned above is excellent.
[/quote]

Check the size and weight of a real one before parting with any money (I'm having difficulty believing that it weighs the 0.0kg claimed on their site). IME most semi rigid cases are only slightly less in weight and size than a Hiscox Lite Flight Case, which unless you need the back straps would probably be a better bet.

Yes Ive got a Protection Rack Semi-Rigid Case and a Hiscox Case and just tried the difference in weight. Just by hand I haven't got any scales sorry.
Anyway the results are that like Vampire Man says above there isn't much difference between them with the Protection Racket case being slightly lighter.

The Hiscox Case is around an inch thicker generally than the Protection Racket case.

The PR case has accessory pockets whereas the Hiscox case hasn't and the PR case has back pack straps (as mentioned above) whereas the Hiscox case hasn't. I have used the straps (just one strap over a shoulder) to give me an extra hand when loading from the car and I have also used the accessory pockets for music and leads/effects etc. Saying that I know a guitarist who has a guitar strap system fitted to his Hiscox (not sure if thats a DIY job).

Saying all that the Hiscox is the ultimate case for protection and if you are going to be loading the bass into the back of the van with a load of other gear that could potentially crush it this is the one for you.

I usually load into the back of my car and so for convenience of size, weight, pockets and straps I chose the Protection Racket which I personally prefer.

Both are excellent cases though and so you wouldn't be disappointed by either.

Just re-read my last post.

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1353501731' post='1875226']
The Hiscox Case is around an inch thicker generally than the Protection Racket case.
[/quote]

I meant to say The Hiscox case's depth is around an inch thicker. The rest of it is similar in size.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1353174663' post='1872452']
I have a couple of gig bags with rucksack straps, and the big danger with them is smacking the head of the bass when going through ornery people-size doorways.
[/quote]

I once had the PR case on my back in rucksack mode ie over both shoulders whilst riding a bike. I was in a rehearsal room and rode down 2 steps to get outside via the "people sized doorway". The top of the bass case got stuck on the doorway as i was half way down the steps and I was completely stuck still on the bike. I had to devise a sideways manoeuvre to get out of it! Very embarrassing as there were people both waiting to get in and out as they waited for me!!! Its all Character building stuff isn't it eh!

I've not used a hard case for years. Usually I use my iGig,although I've got a few others that I may use for
ease (usually an old Protection Racket).I normally drive to all of my gigs so there generally isn't an issue,but
I've also had them in the back of vans and trailers with no problems.Plus,when I'm flying I can take it on as
hand luggage.

I've got both hard and soft cases for my (only) bass and I rarely use the soft case, but then I drive to 95% of my musical outings and the hard case is easly thrown (well, not quite) into the back of my estate car along with everything else and I never have to worry about it being damaged.

On the one occasion I've gigged in London and went by train then the soft case, with shoulder straps, was perfect and if I did that 95% of the time I'd probably also be slagging off hard cases.

Just goes to show there's no 'perfect' case . . . just like there's no perfect bass, amp, cab, lead, strings, picks, shoes, shirts . . . you name it. ;)