Why become a member? ×

Ok we are doing mustang Sally

gub

Its just that really the audience are not dancing and singing along to the band- but to the song itself- might as well put on a record- Chain reaction??

As seashell said- If you havent done it learn it properly- the Wilson Pickett version- and play away. There will be a different reaction to Freebird- but my point was why cant bands do songs that would have the same audience reaction whilst still being interesting for both band and punters?

Suggestions please...

It's one song in a 3 hour set. Hardly lazy! If there are other party songs we think that will go down well; we try them and if they don't go down well they get scrapped. After a few years all bands who have gone through this process end up with a back catalogue of a couple of hundred tracks, 50 of which we know will work.

Why do all bands play similar sets?
1. They've been through the above process.
2. As people move from band to band they 'bring' songs with them.
3. We go to see a band and see what songs get a good reaction.

We keep the rest of the set current by chucking out chart hits that have gone out of the charts and adding new ones. That can be a lot of hard work for sometimes little reward, especially if you're not gigging every week.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1352975106' post='1869925']
I can see how it would get tiresome for all of you who have played it time and time again. But speaking as a beginner who has never played it, I wouldn't mind having a crack at it. Especially if it got the place rocking out.

But, speaking of musical cliches, what I would [b]really[/b] like to have a crack at is 'Freebird'.
Speaking as a desperate 50 something single woman, listening to the clock of doom ticking off the inevitable descent into senile dementia, 'Freebird' is [b]definitely [/b]on my bucket list. :P
[/quote]

Skynyrd did some great stuff and Freebird is one of the best. I've been playing "Don't Ask Me No Questions", this morning. Love it all.

[quote name='Floyd' timestamp='1352977607' post='1869969']
Skynyrd did some great stuff and Freebird is one of the best. I've been playing "Don't Ask Me No Questions", this morning. Love it all.
[/quote]

Definitely! Another one I'd like to do is 'Needle and the Spoon'. I play along to that at home sometimes :)

Anyway, back On Topic folks..... ;)

[quote name='Floyd' timestamp='1352977607' post='1869969']
[/quote]

We do Freebird (albeit without the piano) and I must say the bass part is quite tricky. Theres a lot going on, little fills and runs etc, in the long guitar solo fadeout.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1352975228' post='1869930']What's more enjoyable at a gig - an audience dancing around and singing along or sitting completely still in their chairs?

To paraphrase Ecclesiastes 3:2, a time for unabashed entertainment and a time for jazz. ;)[/quote]

At first I thought your reply was a facetious response arguing that if you're not playing Mustang Sally you must be playing some indigestible self-indulgent nonsense, but then I realised it was a clever metaphor to demonstrate that the reason there are thousands of bands playing Mustang Sally is because none of them have the imagination to realise that there are acres of middle ground they could be occupying.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1352978666' post='1869992']

At first I thought your reply was a facetious response arguing that if you're not playing Mustang Sally you must be playing some indigestible self-indulgent nonsense, but then I realised it was a clever metaphor to demonstrate that the reason there are thousands of bands playing Mustang Sally is because none of them have the imagination to realise that there are acres of middle ground they could be occupying.
[/quote]

Quite frankly, you don't know what you are talking about. It's ONE song in hundreds of songs we play. If a band were to play a 10minute extended mix several times during their set you might have a case.

Get a grip man!

Edited by TimR

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1352883169' post='1868684']
just enjoy the audience reaction and [b]play it like it's the first time you've ever done it [/b] ;)
[/quote]

That would be "in the wrong key" and "not knowing the changes" for me then......it was a long time ago and I hadnt been playing long....honest :blush:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1352979545' post='1870006']

Quite frankly, you don't know what you are talking about. It's ONE song in hundreds of songs we play. If a band were to play a 10minute extended mix several times during their set you might have a case.

Get a grip man!
[/quote]

I think he knows what he's talking about. In my experience it is better to have a terrific set of a maximum of 35 songs than hundreds. There is a difference between having a so so set of many than a brilliant set of a few.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1352983010' post='1870063']
I think he knows what he's talking about. In my experience it is better to have a terrific set of a maximum of 35 songs than hundreds. There is a difference between having a so so set of many than a brilliant set of a few.
[/quote]

So you have only ever played 35 songs in your life? How long are your gigs? That's only two hours of material at a push!

The point is; the band has played hundreds of songs. We've still got charts for them all and if we needed to we could play any one of them. The reason that we have a set list of 50 terrific songs that we play on a regular basis is because they're terrific. You find that out only by trial and error. Songs one band can pull off others can't, turn up to a pub gig full of a certain age group and try to get them going with Lady Gaga and you'll get into problems. If you can afford to chose which gigs to do then it's different, but if you're in the market for functions you will struggle. Mustang sally has 3 chords and 5 noes of the pentatonic scale. It's hardly taking up valuable space in your brain or learning time.

Dismissing a song that the audience request and like because of snobbery is up to the individual band but no one is getting bookings turned down because Mustang Sally is on their setlist and the audience don't like it. If they were no one would play it.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1352984758' post='1870114']
So you have only ever played 35 songs in your life? How long are your gigs? That's only two hours of material at a push!

The point is; the band has played hundreds of songs. We've still got charts for them all and if we needed to we could play any one of them. The reason that we have a set list of 50 terrific songs that we play on a regular basis is because they're terrific. You find that out only by trial and error. Songs one band can pull off others can't, turn up to a pub gig full of a certain age group and try to get them going with Lady Gaga and you'll get into problems. If you can afford to chose which gigs to do then it's different, but if you're in the market for functions you will struggle. Mustang sally has 3 chords and 5 noes of the pentatonic scale. It's hardly taking up valuable space in your brain or learning time.

Dismissing a song that the audience request and like because of snobbery is up to the individual band but no one is getting bookings turned down because Mustang Sally is on their setlist and the audience don't like it. If they were no one would play it.
[/quote]

The songs I have done in the past- since 1976 probably run into the thousands.

My point was I have seen bands- and depped for them - that have a set list of hundreds of songs to choose from and I also have been in bands where the set list has been really thought out well, even thought there have only been 30 odd.

There is always a difference between the quality of the bands that know what they are doing, that people actually want to go see- compared to bands that are there for punters amusement- who will cater for some drunk guy asking for whatever. These sorts of band try to cover all basses so to speak.

Dismissing a song is not really down to musical snobbery at all- I just think that to be a successful cover band you have to be different and have your own niche- and that may not include easy songs that any band could do in their sleep ( however popular )

I'm lost at how anyone can see not liking a song that is so over done as snobbery......I love shortbread but if i eat it every day for a month i'd get sick of it......does that make me a shortbread snob ?

lol
It's a song that people like or leave. I often take the P*ss out of bands who play it because lets be fair, it is cheesey.
The bottom line is just this point, people will like it when having a drink or two but I think being aware of the cheesiness is the key.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1352985536' post='1870135']

My point was I have seen bands- and depped for them - that have a set list of hundreds of songs to choose from and I also have been in bands where the set list has been really thought out well, even thought there have only been 30 odd.

Dismissing a song is not really down to musical snobbery at all- I just think that to be a successful cover band you have to be different and have your own niche- and that may not include easy songs that any band could do in their sleep ( however popular )
[/quote]

This is kind of my point. If it suits your set then play it. If not, don't jam it in just because it's popular. But then again, if you're a soul band then it is a basic requirement, however cheesy...

Having a well thought out set is key. Turning up with a folder of 200 songs and throwing the set together on the fly never really works.

As for making tunes more interesting, that's a whole can of other worms. I've just been listening to a live recording of a band where the bass player has tried to make his part more interesting, so have the keyboards, the guitarist, the trumpet, trombone and drums. It's certainly more "interesting"....

It's only notes, how hard can it be!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1352904714' post='1869159']
True , but the crowd are also the same people who bought my G K rig , my new reclining leather suite and my 3 weeks island hopping around the Greek Islands.
[/quote]

Nice one, DD. I personally quite like the song - never had to play it yet though - however my song-of-hatred was/is Born to Be Wild. I just hate it, but whichever band I`ve been in thats played it, the audience loved it, so mental message to myself was shut up and play, it drives the punters wild.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1352985536' post='1870135']
Dismissing a song is not really down to musical snobbery at all- I just think that to be a successful cover band you have to be different and [b]have your own niche[/b]- and that may not include easy songs that any band could do in their sleep ( however popular )
[/quote]

So there must be a niche for bands that play Mustang Sally then? :lol:

I've played this song probably every other gig for almost 20 years. For sure, it gets tedious at times. But the crowds love it, and they can join in. And we're here to entertain them, aren't we?

Love it or bored with it, it's a classic. Written in 1965 too, and I'll bet that punters will be singing along to it for years to come. I wish I'd penned it........

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1352986875' post='1870157']
I'm lost at how anyone can see not liking a song that is so over done as snobbery......I love shortbread but if i eat it every day for a month i'd get sick of it......does that make me a shortbread snob ?

[/quote]

You getting sickend of shortbread would not make you a shortbread snob - BUT - were you to say 'I'm a proper foody who only eats some load of Frog sh*te and I'm too good to eat shortbread' it certainly would.

My point has nothing to do with the song being good , bad or indifferent - the song being over played - the song being cheesy or played well or badly or whatever. My point is that there are people who think 'I'm a proper musician and it's beneath me to play it'. Well - that's bollocks , that is.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1352893432' post='1868861']
I dont understand what the problem is with this song. We are entertainers. We are there to entertain people, and if thats what they want, thats what we give them.
If we only played songs [u]we [/u]like, it,ll be a very short set!! <_<
[/quote]
this...