Why become a member? ×

Happy Bassday to me!

Pinball

New bass day so thought I would share my joy. It's a Sandberg Umbo, BIN off Spanish ebay. It plays and sounds great.
Like new and not a mark on it so I'm I'm a happy boy!

[attachment=123601:Umbo.JPG][attachment=123598:Umbo BK.JPG][attachment=123600:Umbo H.JPG]
[attachment=123599:Umbo Fr.JPG][attachment=123597:Umbo Age2.JPG][attachment=123596:Umbo age.JPG]

Edited by Pinball

Thanks, I'm off work today so am putting it through its paces.

I'm not sure what you mean by some of the comments-I If you mean it doesn't look new I was assured it was like new. That is just Sandberg's famous aged finish. They really go for it and have even given one of the pots a slight crackle! :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1352731300' post='1866625']
aww that actually looks nice, they had a white one with white scratchplate in a local shop to me a while back - i couldn't stand the sight of it - but that looks great!
[/quote]

What do do mean-as if there was any doubt that it would be lovely. When I picked it up this morning I insisted on unpacking it to make sure that it wasn't damaged. You should have seen the jaws drop when I took it out of its case.

One important point is that it sounds great IMHO.

Edited by Pinball

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1355178229' post='1895187']
Very nice. I'm tempted to get one of these as my next Sandberg, exactly the same as yours but with a maple fingerboard.

How are you finding the all passive setup, especially the "secret switch" for quick tone changes?

Cheers

Gareth
[/quote]

Hi, the Umbo is a passive bass with specially designed Hausell single coil pickups rather than the usual Sanberg/Delano. They sound great in my opinion. I also have a Sandberg California Supreme so can compare and I like them both but tend to reach for the Umbo because it is light and nice to handle and it is easy to dial in the sound I want. There is a nice introduction given by "Umbo" himself you can search on youtube if you wish. You can also hear it un-tweeked on my sound cloud track "Dave's Brain" (see signature) but make allowances for my playing.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1355349846' post='1897361']
I like these too, wonky pickup or not. How much freedom do sandberg give you? If you wanted a P neck would they do it?
[/quote]
Your asking the wrong person as I haven't dealt with the company directly but I have heard they will give you what you want if your willing to wait for a couple of months.

[quote name='bengreen49' timestamp='1355350454' post='1897373']
Think you might have been sent an shop demo. Did you get the cloth and Allen key with it?
[/quote]
Possible but I suspect that it has been privately owned. The set up was very low, too low for me and there wasn't ant keys, cloths or info. Also annoyingly the selector switch has just developed a crackle-probably dirt. I'll have a look over Christmas.

• 1 year later...