Why become a member? ×

Delighted with your Band?

xilddx

And, back on topic.... I am becoming somewhat more delighted with my band :)

We had a great rehearsal last night, and for the first time I felt we were really gelling. I was much more relaxed which meant that I could actually listen properly to what the others were doing, rather than just frantically concentrating on keeping in time and not making any mistakes.
We all felt it was coming together rather well - in fact Vox got a bit over-excited and terms such as 'Nailed it!' were bandied about. :ph34r:

Guitar was a bit more cautious - said he still felt a bit nervous and that we weren't quite all in time in some parts. Ah, the voice of reason. He's right of course. None of us are brilliant musicians, and at the regular jam night at the Dog and Bollock tonight we are bound to be worse than some (most?)of the other bands.

But I'm feeling please because I think we will be significanlty better than we were last time. We [b]are [/b]improving and that is making me feel very positive and , well, delighted! :D

Delighted? Maybe that's slightly too strong a word, but I am happy with my current band. Nice guys and good players, all pulling in the same direction. Yes, there are issues - but I think that can be a healthy thing as it challenges you and forces compromise.

We are playing and writing original material that I actually have a lot of faith in. Only the one gig so far (but another one next month and a pseudo-residency planned in the new year) but responses were pretty favourable (apart from the volume :blush: ).

Life is good! :)

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1352749314' post='1867008']
Yeah, my former (and 1st ) band mates Chuck the singer and Jason the guitarist were in that band,we played together a couple of times ....I`m thinking Dartford upstairs in a pub but could be wrong!!! We`ve cheered up a little bit ( musically ) since then!!! Good to hear you`re still playing!!
[/quote]

Blimey... Yes I vaguely recollect that pub too.... Chuck is the singer in my current band also. Not sure whatever happened to Jason.... he was a bit...er.... odd!

I am also feeling increasingly optimistic about my band... Following a few changes, we now have a great new singer. She and I are getting on like a house on fire.

We had a band meet up last night, then the singer and I came back to mine as we needed to work out a few key changes for some of our set (having previously had a male singer).

Working together, we very quickly worked out the new keys, and even better for me as a newbie bassist, I was able to transpose the basslines instantly for us to work them through, which has boosted my confidence no end :D. Ok they weren't basslines that were going to set the world alight but "Need your love so bad" by Fleetwood Mac is a busy bassline.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1352821016' post='1867863']
Blimey... Yes I vaguely recollect that pub too.... Chuck is the singer in my current band also. Not sure whatever happened to Jason.... he was a bit...er.... odd!
[/quote]

Give me a shout when you`re playing, I`ll come along,are you doing your own stuff or covers now?? Yeah, Jason had a ...special .....personality,didn`t he.???

I had my first jam with potential new band a couple of weeks back. No singer yet, apparently someone was invited at the same time I was auditioning but never turned up. If I'm being brutally honest I was a little underwhelmed and I don't consider myself as anything more than adequate at best, yet of the 3 expected 'permanent' lineup two of them were rather weak players. It was just one jam so I'm not reading anything much into it yet. We won't be gigging this year though I'm sure of that!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1352875108' post='1868611']
I am also feeling increasingly optimistic about my band... Following a few changes, we now have a great new singer. She and I are getting on like a house on fire.

We had a band meet up last night, then the singer and I came back to mine as we needed to work out a few key changes for some of our set (having previously had a male singer).

Working together, we very quickly worked out the new keys, and even better for me as a newbie bassist, I was able to transpose the basslines instantly for us to work them through, which has boosted my confidence no end :D. Ok they weren't basslines that were going to set the world alight but "Need your love so bad" by Fleetwood Mac is a busy bassline.
[/quote]

Sound brill! I love 'Need your love so bad' - would really like to have a crack at it :)

Having the best time with a band I have had since I was in my early twenties...

We haven't even finished writing one track yet, but then we have ideas for at least fifteen. Rehearsal/writing evenings are just a complete pleasure, with lots of banter, laughter and fun (and playing). The entire band are up for attempting anything (they may regret that, although they have taken to funk in 5/4 rather well, which surprised me no end).

Happy like a happy happy thing....

I was asked recently to join a band with some old school mates. We've had about half a dozen practices/jams and it's absolutely bloody fantastic. I'm playing exactly what I want, it's my style, there are loads of ideas and we're all just loving the groove.

Only one snag, we need a singer. Really hoping we find one soon as we're itching to get out gigging.

Great fun though. Feel I've really found my musical home :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1352913699' post='1869348']
I was asked recently to join a band with some old school mates. We've had about half a dozen practices/jams and it's absolutely bloody fantastic. I'm playing exactly what I want, it's my style, there are loads of ideas and we're all just loving the groove.

Only one snag, we need a singer. Really hoping we find one soon as we're itching to get out gigging.

Great fun though. Feel I've really found my musical home :)
[/quote]
That's brilliant mate!

Currently in a band that was inadvertantly formed from the ashes of a previous band (previous band: Bullet Six, new band: Son of Six) that the guitarist ruined by becoming so utterly paranoid due to his weed habit that it was completely useless but we've managed to form a coherent and suportive outfit that gigs more than we'd ever thought possible.
I suppose it's all down to trust; are you getting the support that you need as a musician from the other members of the band, are they supportive of what you do as a bass player, do they offer constructive criticism where due and do they praise you when you come up with some killer bass riff. are you supportive of your bandmates, do you feel that you're listened to when voicing concerns or asking about structures or chord sequences.
I'm pretty damned lucky with the folks I'm currently playing with as we're friends because of the previous band but at the same time if we didn't have that previous connection I'm pretty sure we'd still have the same rapport. Suppose it's all down to experience but yes, I'm extatic to be playing with these folks :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1352933435' post='1869643']
I have a voice that makes people cry...and not in a good way :)
[/quote]
[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1352937942' post='1869714']
I know that feeling, I have a voice reminiscent of broken pianos and cats being set on fire.
[/quote]

Sounds like you guys should start a metal band. ;)

I'm very happy with my lot at the moment. Last night's practice went very well, and was a good laugh too. They're a great bunch of people, and we get some cool gigs; last weekend, for example, we performed at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon as part of a well-attended [url="http://www.witchfest.net/"]WitchFest[/url], and had lots of people (from as far afield as Australia) thanking us for our performances and asking about what we do. About 40 or 50 people turned up to our workshop in the afternoon to have a go themselves.