Why become a member? ×

Mod Band!

Mr Fretbuzz

Well I'm out of the bedroom and in my first band, a Mod Band. Met the guys last night and I'm in. Got to put my leathers and Harley aside for a while and get a Tonic Suit ;) Got a set list of 12 pieces but most are really obscure eg Slim Harpo and I can't find the TAB anywhere to be able to make a start. I thought that was some kind of cleaning product. Thing is that the guitarist says they don't want to be a tribute band and they want to play it their own way. Along the side of the list he has put the key he wants the pieces in. One is Green Onions by Booker T..he has put E alongside it. The tab I've found is mostly F on the E string so I guess thats in F?

I'm happy to play the difficult stuff easier if I can ..eg Who stuff where I'll not be able to play like the Ox after 9 months obviously.

So guys, do I learn the tab I can find which is the right way to play the piece, sound great and let the guitarist sound crap? Am I starting to think like a Bass player :D ... or throw everything out of the window, play the wrong way, sound iffy and hide at the back behind my Rig? :ph34r:

How do you change a piece in tab for one key to another?.... keep the same finger pattern but start it on a different fret and/or work out the note relationship?

I'm in deep :D :blush:

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1352445033' post='1863043']
I'm happy to play the difficult stuff easier if I can ..eg Who stuff where I'll not be able to play like the Ox after 9 months obviously.

[/quote]

as your own skills improve you might be pleasantly surprised to find that the Ox stuff isnt as difficult to play as you might at first think ;)

(stands back and dodges the flying bottles and heavy glass ashtrays from the ox fanboys) :ph34r: :lol:

Edited by steve-bbb

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1352445033' post='1863043'] Along the side of the list he has put the key he wants the pieces in. One is Green Onions by Booker T..he has put E alongside it. The tab I've found is mostly F on the E string so I guess thats in F?[/quote]

The original is in F version is in F, which is useful for for you when you play the repeated hammer-on from open E > F.

Doing it in F also makes it [i]much [/i]easier for the guitarist to play Cropper's rtm stabs - he can do the little slide up to F and damp the strings with his left hand to get that percussive 'chik'. FWIW, Slim Harpo's 'Got love if you want it' (re-lyriced by The Who as 'I'm The Face') is also originally in F.

The thing about keys is that it's not so much what the original key was, as choosing the best key for your singer.

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1352445033' post='1863043']How do you change a piece in tab for one key to another?.... keep the same finger pattern but start it on a different fret and/or work out the note relationship?
[/quote]

Yes indeedy. Or play the same pattern at the same fret on a different string. Hope you enjoy your new band. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

As I'm always telling the band that I play in if we're going to do obscure stuff we may as well do out own songs because your average punter won't know it, all the mod bands I've seen go down a storm but they stick to well known Who, Jam, Small Faces stuff with a bit of punk thrown in. Suppose it depends whether you want to get regular paid gigs or not