Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fender Bass Oddity???

Rick's Fine '52

I was in New York last week (Yes, great time to go I know, but survived Hurricane Sandy!!), and whilst upstairs in Rudy's, I found this oddity.

1965 Precision. Neck dated November 65, all pots date to the same month. Laurie, in the shop, said it was a bass used to show the custom colour range available at the time, and several of these basses were used at show's, and then sent to larger dealers, not for sale, but to show the finishes available.

The bass shows shoreline gold; inca silver; teal green; sea foam green; candy apple red, and lake placid blue. Its kind of a sunburst finish, with all these colours used, the front of which is mainly LPB. The bass shows some wear, but also factory exposed sections of the various finishes. It looks genuine, and all factory applied/exposed colours. Weather checking also looks consistent through the finishes.

The pics are terrible I'm afraid, as it was very bright in the shop, and my ipod isnt the best camera!

I know a fair bit about vintage Fenders, but have never seen any reference to these, or heard anything about them anywhere previously. Anyone seen or heard of anything similar??

It was $23k!!

Heres' the awful pics, but hopefully you get the idea?

Any thoughts?

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1352066344' post='1858433']
ugly!
[/quote]

I agree, although I don't think it was supposed to be pretty.

I just think it's odd that Fender would do something like this, why not just use a proper example of a custom colour guitar in these colours, for shows, knowing they could sell them on afterwards. Unless it's just an example of Fender CBS Management scrimping to the extreme?

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1352066675' post='1858437']
I just think it's odd that Fender would do something like this, why not just use a proper example of a custom colour guitar in these colours, for shows, knowing they could sell them on afterwards. Unless it's just an example of Fender CBS Management scrimping to the extreme?
[/quote]

Probably just marketing. We're still talking about it 50 years later.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1352067961' post='1858457']
I kinda like it - would definitely gig with it if I could afford it :)

Price seems like a bargain for Rudy's - they have a $54K '69 Strat up for sale at the moment. . .
[/quote]

Thats true, they're not the cheapest, but they often have the most unusual items.

'69 Strats, thats 'Hendrix era' Barrie, that's gotta be worth an extra $40K on it's own, especially if it was found in a garage sale, or loft!!! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, it would be a single sampler for their colours, which (& my Fender knowledge is slight) were mostly - for custom colours - done with car-paints?
Before I parted with that kind of money for it though the least they could do is get an official verification from Fender for it?
Is there nothing in the Fender bass history books about such things?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1352069455' post='1858480']
I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, it would be a single sampler for their colours, which (& my Fender knowledge is slight) were mostly - for custom colours - done with car-paints?
Before I parted with that kind of money for it though the least they could do is get an official verification from Fender for it?
Is there nothing in the Fender bass history books about such things?
[/quote]

As Luke said though, a single piece of wood, say1ft square, with each colour would show the finish far better than this does, and much cheaper. It does look factory finished in the flesh though.

I've read just about every reference book on Fenders, and never seen or heard anything about it.

And yes, for $23k, I'd want a picture of George Fullerton holding it at a Guitar Fair in '65!! :lol:

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1352069809' post='1858488']And yes, for $23k, I'd want a picture of George Fullerton holding it at a Guitar Fair in '65!! :lol:
[/quote]

:lol:

I can imagine a scenario where at the time Fender were pretty much King Of The Hill with basses, the sales guys want to go out showing off options & what they want they get (like Madmen :D ), there's a bass body on a wire going thru the production line and gets zapped as it goes along with a few colours. Stick it in a case like any other - it'd have a bit more impact than a block of wood. Personally I'd have preferred a few neat candy-stripes rather than blotches but there you go.

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1352071387' post='1858513']
They do exist, it's called a "sparkle" finish, and once in a while one pops up. Made on custom order, or for big fairs like NAMM.

[url="http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40866"]http://www.shortscal...pic.php?t=40866[/url]
[/quote]

These sparkles are rare, but the whole guitar was the same finish, not a multi-colour sample job like this.

I believe it's a '65 but if I heard Laurie telling me that poop I woulda just stood there smiling at him until he felt very uncomfortable :yarr: if that story makes em a huge profit I suspect it'll come back to bite em in ass!! You can have my G&L George Fullerton Signature Models for £23k!!? Every man has his price I guess :happy:

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1352071606' post='1858516']
I believe it's a '65 but if I heard Laurie telling me that poop I woulda just stood there smiling at him until he felt very uncomfortable :yarr: if that story makes em a huge profit I suspect it'll come back to bite em in ass!! You can have my G&L George Fullerton Signature Models for £23k!!? Every man has his price I guess :happy:
[/quote]

I know what you mean, I didnt fully believe him either, hence the post on here, although nothing coming out of the early days of CBS would surprise me at all !!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1352072082' post='1858520']
I know what you mean, I didnt fully believe him either, hence the post on here, although nothing coming out of the early days of CBS would surprise me at all !!
[/quote]

True, they'll never shift it though, such a huge claim to make (and price to ask) without proof! I'd just ignore them and offer them whatever a poorly refinished '65 goes for...

That's an interesting old curiosity!

All sounds a bit strange really - surely they'd show off custom colours on guitars, where they'd be more likely to sell them than on a bass - least of all a P bass at that time. I'm presuming that they did fewer P bass in custom colours than Jazz basses - they rarely matched the headstock as opposed to strats and jazzes. I suppose it's possible they could have done this for a show like NAMM - but it doesn't even show the colours that well!!

Some interesting looking basses surround it :lol:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1352070230' post='1858493']

I can imagine a scenario where at the time Fender were pretty much King Of The Hill with basses, the sales guys want to go out showing off options & what they want they get[/quote]

I'm not sure Fender were actually in that position at that time - as many pop bassists of the time were associated both in this country and the US with a range of other makes - the most famous of all at that time (of the Beatles) was always associated with other makes. The Shadows went from Precision to Burns basses after two or three years. It should be remembered that Fenders weren't even imported to UK before the beginning of the 60s owing to trade restrictions.

Edited by drTStingray

It looks like it was possibly a body that was used to practice spraying on at the factory. After all you've got to start somewhere. Which makes more sense than a 'sampler'. The body could have been sat at the factory for years and used this way.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1352096047' post='1858576']
Did the salesman's nose grow longer as you were speaking to him? $23K - yeah right. [/quote]

Ha, no it didn't, but it probably should have!!

I think the story could well be true, it could also have been a practice board for a new sprayer (As stated in previous response), that was assembled and played later on, could be anything really. One things for sure, unless there's some proper documented evidence (Which they don't have), ideally with photographic proof also, then it's worth maybe a little more than a regular '65, for curiosity value only.

I actually quite like it, but only if the story is true, without the evidence, it has little value other than the sum of its parts, which, purely from the sentimental fenderite in me, I think is a shame.

Thanks for all the comments guys, thought it would be an interesting share on here. I was hoping someone was going to point me in the direction of a whole article about these famous 'custom colour sample guitars' from 1965, nonetheless, an interesting piece, and I'm glad I saw it.

Rick

Have you asked about it on TalkBass Rick?

There's a few real Fender experts over there.

Mind you, feedback for Rudy's is generally terrible. Poor customer service, way over-priced, lots of basses badly set up etc.

The Americans seem to rate Rudy's & neighbour Sam Ash a bit like we do Denmark Street :(

There is that custom design/paint job Mustang that was done for a TV show in the Fender Bass Book. It could be that someone wanted a multi-coloured burst, and paid for a custom job.
I guess to do a multi-burst, you'd simply spray each colour over the whole body?!

Si

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1352112220' post='1858732']
Have you asked about it on TalkBass Rick?

There's a few real Fender experts over there.

Mind you, feedback for Rudy's is generally terrible. Poor customer service, way over-priced, lots of basses badly set up etc.

The Americans seem to rate Rudy's & neighbour Sam Ash a bit like we do Denmark Street :(
[/quote]

I don't use Talkbass very often, full of 'experts', who actually know very little.
This is true, I actually had an exchange with someone once on there, who said my '56 Precision was clearly a Telecaster bass with a changed serial number plate, because it had the single coil pickup, and not the split coil.......really. It is quite bad on there!

I think most vintage dealers have a bad reputation, mainly due to their pricing, and elaborated stories behind each one (Like this one I started the thread with). If they just said, "It's a regular '62 Jazz, what you see is what you get", then we'd probably have more time for them, but every instrument they have seems to have an impressive 'history'!! :D I don't think anyone really buys all that though, and I'm pretty sure they don't pay those prices either. Most are consignment instruments, and they just pass the offers on to the owners, who accept or not. Most of their money is made selling new gear, (And accessories) which is intermingled with the oldies. If I was trying to sell a genuine $23k bass though, I'm not sure I'd want it hanging in the middle of someones shop for any old oik to bash around on?