Why become a member? ×

Very odd.... but I kinda like it!

Conan

Wow, the price of Danos is starting to seem a little mad. Am I still correct in thinking they're essentially made out of plywood and hardboard? The skinny headstocks, feeble tuners and low quality woods seem a joke when they're more expensive that the Squier VM & CV ranges...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1351177140' post='1848286']
Hmmmm... I didn't realise that. Hardboard?!?! You make a fair point about their price too.
[/quote]

Yup. Don't get me wrong, I think they're quite fun in terms of quirky looks and novelty value. They're also apparently pretty well made. I just don't think 'quirkiness' is enough to justify that price tag when you look at what else is available.

There's some more info here:

[url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/danelectroguitars.html"]http://www.jhs.co.uk/danelectroguitars.html[/url]

I have a longhorn from a few years ago - if this Wild Thing is anything like it (and the hardware looks the same) it will sound excellent.
My only qualm with the longhorn is it is inherently quite fragile, and is very easy to knock out of tune. I wouldn't fancy gigging with it, but I love the sound - very aggressive twang, and surprisingly deep and heavy. Drop tuned to C, it sounds immense.

I agree they are a little overpriced, but Danelectro seem to produce each line in limited numbers. I had a hell of a time trying to locate a Dano 12 string a couple of years back.

All the Danos I have played sound great. They seriously challenge all the stuff said about the importance of woods and quality hardware. More for recording though as they are quite fragile. I quite like these personally but nothing will beat the old 90s Longhorn I used on a studio session back in the day

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1351175567' post='1848258']
That is quite foul.
[/quote]

I disagree, I love it. But then thats no surprise when you see my current line up ( DeArmond Jet-Star, Italia Modulo Tipo, Gretsch Electromatic and a few others) you will realise I enjoy an off centre taste in basses :D
This is at the opposite end of the spectrum to a custom shop 'roadworn' Jazz (which is simply hideous IMHO) and I love the retro look. Shame its a little too pricey, wouldn't be happy paying that price without sitting down with it for half an hour
This one on fleabay is a bit cheaper and a gorgeous colour, though the mind boggles at the idea of 'Candy Apple Blue' !!!
.[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DANELECTRO-DWBS60CAB-WILD-THING-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-CANDY-APPLE-BLUE-/150871262806?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2320a0c656"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2320a0c656[/url]

Couple of years back I had a long talk with the top guy from Dano in the USA, my company at the time were distributing them into mainland Europe.

He said the core to a Dano is that is sounds like a Dano, and there is nothing else that comes close. Yes they are cheap feeling and made of plywood but thats what they should be.

Cool guitars

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1351258099' post='1849360']
Because mine just sits there looking at me. Its my first bass, I have to keep it. Good memories. Lots of piss taking mind, but hey, I bought a metallic purple bass that looks like a CSE, mode 3, failed, wood work project.
[/quote]
:D
Or a nice bass with pleasant retro styling, beauty is in the eye etc.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1351278505' post='1849720']
But most people have said they sound cool! Is it the pickups or 'tonewood'? What's the difference between plywood and multi-layers of 'tonewood'?
[/quote]

About £300-400 :)

Most of the Dano Tone comes from the lipstick pups and the semi-hollow construction I believe.