Why become a member? ×

High notes lost in the mix

rogerstodge

Hi all,
The higher i play on the D and G strings especially, the quieter the notes are , if i'm past the 12th fret on the g string its like im not playing, ive ignored it for ages but the drummer mentioned it at last gig so here i am, i'm guessing its eq but i have upped the mids?? ..i play through a markbass 600w head and sometimes thru a sansamp bass driver.. Its the same with all my basses??
Thanks in advance chaps
Paul

You might have [b]too much[/b] bass going on, either from the amp settings or through the voicing of the amp and cabs. If so your low notes will blast out and the mids (which make up the [u]body[/u] of most of the note on the bass) will be left behind. On my previous (Ashdown ABM) rig I had to turn the bass [i]down[/i] to stop it overpowering the rest.

Sort the pickup height (too high and the strings can choke, too low and you woint get the volume), action of the bass (this can cause string choking oif its wrong too), the eq on the amp (not so much bass!), and have a close look at how you are playing (not that hard with right or left hand and the bass will 'sing' more).

After al of that is sorted, has sir thought of using a wee bit of compression?????

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1351187241' post='1848483']
Make sure those markbass filters are off - the VPF particularly! Off is fully anticlockwise, NOT 12 o clock. The VPF filter cut sits right around the first harmonics of the upper string upper notes, too much of that and it'll suck the volume right out.
[/quote]cheers lawrence, yea both filters are set at 12 o.clock, ill try that thanks

Yup it's come up on another thread that Simon and I've both commented on, and I think it's a fairly regular issue - those filters are powerful but not well understood and I think Markbass missed a trick by making them so the notch in the knob doesn't sit at 12 when they're off! From previous comments I'm sure a lot of people have been put off Markbass, without realising the filters were frying the sound at what looks like a default setting.
Anyway, I hope it has helped!