Why become a member? ×

Basses with neck pickups

thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1351159873' post='1847988']
Only problem with all these hollowbodies - as much as I'm sure they sound great - I can also imagine the neck dive. :(
[/quote]
Neck dive is a matter of balance.
(Semi) Hollow bodies with blocks, pups, bridges and electrics can be heavier than solid ones.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1351159873' post='1847988']
I'm thinking about routing out a hole in my Squier Jazz and sticking a Gibbo-style mudbucker in there. I'm pretty terrible at doing wood things though.
[/quote]
Practice on a blank board and when you feel confident, go ahead and do it.
First time is the hardest (and the sweetest) :D .
If I know that I can do it, I would not let anyone to do it for me.
A supervision/guidance would be advisable.....

My Ned Callan has a large (casing) pickup right up by the neck. It sounds nothing like an EB0

([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/114409-peter-cook-guitar-maker/page__view__findpost__p__1112031"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/114409-peter-cook-guitar-maker/page__view__findpost__p__1112031[/url])

A pair of modded Jazz basses.

The one on the left is a genuine 1962 Fiesta red (refin) and the mod to include the Gibson humbucker was carried out in 1970 when the bass would have been worth around £80.00. Apologies to the purist/collector folks out there but I wasn't to know about the huge value hike that followed.

The fretless on the right was built by me later in the 70s.

[attachment=121996:002.JPG]

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1351166820' post='1848122']A pair of modded Jazz basses.

The one on the left is a genuine 1962 Fiesta red (refin) and the mod to include the Gibson humbucker was carried out in 1970 when the bass would have been worth around £80.00. Apologies to the purist/collector folks out there but I wasn't to know about the huge value hike that followed.

The fretless on the right was built by me later in the 70s.[/quote]

Very cool! How useful do you find them?

I was thinking it might be useful for reggae stuff (of which I do a lot) and it also might improve note tracking on some effects I use. Now I've seen someone else with a neck pup Jazz bass I must have one. :)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1351167970' post='1848148']
Is the extra knob on the black one a "woofer" control?
[/quote]

It is indeed. They both have extra controls - volume for the neck pickup is in the lower horn area and the tone control is where the jack socket used to be.

The two outputs (psuedo-stereo) are actually on the rear of the bass.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1351168132' post='1848152']
Very cool! How useful do you find them?

I was thinking it might be useful for reggae stuff (of which I do a lot) and it also might improve note tracking on some effects I use. Now I've seen someone else with a neck pup Jazz bass I must have one. :)
[/quote]

The fiesta red was my main gigger for the best part of 20 years. In that time I was fit enough to carry around two 200 watt valve stacks with the Fender circuit plugged in one and the Gibson circuit into the other. If you can imagine dialling up the Fender jazz circuit flat out in treble mode then dialling in the 'felt rather than heard' EBO circuit/stack it was a hellava wall of sound to be standing in front of.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1351168723' post='1848165']
The fiesta red was my main gigger for the best part of 20 years. In that time I was fit enough to carry around two 200 watt valve stacks with the Fender circuit plugged in one and the Gibson circuit into the other. If you can imagine dialling up the Fender jazz circuit flat out in treble mode then dialling in the 'felt rather than heard' EBO circuit/stack it was a hellava wall of sound to be standing in front of.
[/quote]

Ha, that's pretty close to what I do now.