Why become a member? ×

The basses you love to hate thread.

StephenFerguson

[quote name='JeSuisSkeleton' timestamp='1351101885' post='1847403']
Burns Bison. Borrowed one once when my bass died. Worst instrument I've ever played. Looks like balls, plays like sh*te and sounds rubbish.
[/quote]

Original or Korean?
The Korean one I tried was better than most of the Jazzes in the (Wapping) Bass Centre that day. (US, Mex, Jap etc.)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1350910872' post='1844914']
Eagles are nice too.
[/quote]

+ 1

I've never liked headless basses, basses with LEDs or single-cut basses..

Sadly, I also finding myself disliking basses played/endorsed by bassists that I don't particularly like! Not a very mature or rational thought process I know, but it keeps my inner 'Victor Meldrew' happy! :)

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1351184332' post='1848423']
As an upright player I found this all very entertaining, so well done guys. As someone who went up to London in '62 to buy a Fender Jazz for less than £100 and came away with an EBO, I don't deserve to have a BG opinion so I'll refrain.
[/quote]

:o

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1351242071' post='1849049']
I have never liked Gibson basses or guitars, especially the basses.
[/quote]

Take that, eyeballs! Ha!

Seriously though, you're entitled to your opinion. Also, I don't live far from the harbour if you want to challenge your perceptions ;)

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1350838140' post='1844067']
Rickenbackers piss me off so much due to the attitude of the company that makes them.
[/quote]

Rickenbacker object to people making copies of their basses? Quite right too. People should make their own original looking basses.

As for basses that I don't like ..... anything [color=#ff0000]non-[/color]Fender but also those Fender Aerodyne Jazz and Precisions or P/Js or whatever both look and sound horrible. They really should have been badged as Squiers.

[size=3][i][color=#FF0000]Sorry. I missed out a rather crucial word in this post originally as noted above.[/color][/i][/size]

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1351242746' post='1849065']
Take that, eyeballs! Ha!

Seriously though, you're entitled to your opinion. Also, I don't live far from the harbour if you want to challenge your perceptions ;)
[/quote] Haha, sounds like an attempted conversion attemt ;) I may take you up on that offer...Fenders vs Gibsons north east Scotland challenge!

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1351249065' post='1849185']
Rickenbacker object to people making copies of their basses? Quite right too. People should make their own original looking basses.

As for basses that I don't like ..... anything Fender but also those Fender Aerodyne Jazz and Precisions or P/Js or whatever both look and sound horrible. They really should have been badged as Squiers.
[/quote]

W.H.A.T!!!???!!!

Aerodyne jazzes look and sound great in general! i don't know if you have played one for long, but it was maybe a bit of a dud. you might be biased because of your dislike of fender.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1351249065' post='1849185']

As for basses that I don't like ..... anything Fender but also those Fender Aerodyne Jazz and Precisions or P/Js or whatever both look and sound horrible. They really should have been badged as Squiers.
[/quote]

Really? I think Rickenbacker have a right to protect their copyright but to pursue basses made in the 80's before they had the rights pinned down and to target private sellers with aggression and threats just makes them come accross like a right bunch of C U Next TuesdayS. I understand that Rickenbacker wan't to continue to make low quality, uncomfortable low output relics to a labour intensive tempelate, in the usa exclusivley...well done to them. Maybe instaed of targetting private sellers of pre-lawsuit basses they should address the problem inherant with all ricks....un-dressable frets, poorly laquered fret boards and unacceptable fret ware, unweildy body shape that cripples the wrist etc etc etc.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1351259991' post='1849387']
W.H.A.T!!!???!!!

Aerodyne jazzes look and sound great in general! i don't know if you have played one for long, but it was maybe a bit of a dud. you might be biased because of your dislike of fender.
[/quote]

I played one yesterday in Ford Lane Studios. A sort of P/J one with a Jazz neck and control plate thing. When I say "played" - I picked it up, had a twiddle - played it briefly through the Sansamp DI device - and agreed with the engineer that it didn't sound a patch on my USA Hot Rodded or USA Standard - which were the two I had been playing already during the session. I [i]personally[/i] think the Aerodyne's are lower quality compromise basses. But it's only my opinion.

And I dislike Fender do I?

(I must update my signature to include the three Fender Telecasters that I have ....... they're errmm .... all black).

Edited by The Dark Lord

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1351265219' post='1849474']
I played one yesterday in Ford Lane Studios. A sort of P/J one with a Jazz neck and control plate thing. When I say "played" - I picked it up, had a twiddle - played it briefly through the Sansamp DI device - and agreed with the engineer that it didn't sound a patch on my USA Hot Rodded or USA Standard - which were the two I had been playing already during the session. I [i]personally[/i] think the Aerodyne's are lower quality compromise basses. But it's only my opinion.

And I dislike Fender do I?
[/quote] export or domestic aerodyne? the export one has no scratchplate....
and they are lower in the fender japan range....

[quote name='StephenFerguson' timestamp='1351261415' post='1849409']
Really? I think Rickenbacker have a right to protect their copyright but to pursue basses made in the 80's before they had the rights pinned down and to target private sellers with aggression and threats just makes them come accross like a right bunch of C U Next TuesdayS. I understand that Rickenbacker wan't to continue to make low quality, uncomfortable low output relics to a labour intensive tempelate, in the usa exclusivley...well done to them. Maybe instaed of targetting private sellers of pre-lawsuit basses they should address the problem inherant with all ricks....un-dressable frets, poorly laquered fret boards and unacceptable fret ware, unweildy body shape that cripples the wrist etc etc etc.
[/quote]

I don't like Ric basses either. I have had both the 4001 and 4003 in the past. They LOOK amazing, but I couldn't get on with them. I agree they are a bit flawed too - as I also found them a bit difficult to play.

The point I was making - which I've made on here before - is that I dislike people copying things. I think it is lazy designing AND a cynical business practice. I've heard the argument that "well Fender need to improve their quality and model range etc". Fine. Go ahead. Make a better bass than Fender - but don't copy their design, either mostly or wholesale. The issue to me is not whether it is copyright or not - it's just ugly plagiarism. Be original is what I say to people - and if you feel you can't make a success by doing that, as no-one will buy your basses - then don't make basses.