Why become a member? ×

2 knob compressors

MacDaddy

Having been reliably informed that if using a 1 knob compressor 'you're f****d', and that if using a 2 knob compressor 'you're still f*****d', it doesn't change the fact that my compressor only has 2 knobs :(

That been the case I would still like to know how to get the best out of it. Any advice?

Nah you're f*****d :)

I would classify these sort of pedals as a preset compressor, as alot of the parameters are just that - pre-set. So you can't change the attack time, ratio etc.

The sensitivity control is basically setting how much level from your bass is needed before the compression kicks in. The output will be a make-up gain to counteract the reduction in level from the compression. So all you can do really is find the sweet spot on the sensivity control (according to your playing) and try and match the level between on and off using the level control.

If you want to adjust anything else, refer to my first answer! :)

Short of sticking it into an oscilloscope, a computer with a vst oscilloscope in a DAW, or some other effect with good metering you only have your ears to go by.

This thing has a fixed attack & release and exactly what the sensitivity knob controls (be it ratio, threshold or both in some way) is not documented in an easy to find place (read: I couldnt find it in two seconds on the interweb). You can find more info [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/rossclones.shtml"]about it here[/url]

Set the sensitivity so it is doin gnothing, then equalise the volume on and off with the output control.

Play 8th notes on the A string and roll the sensitivity up until you hear/feel it doing 'something'. Find how much something you like/can live with.

Rebalance the output when on and off.

Thats as good as it gets, which isnt saying much....

Its designed for guitar, not bass, it stands to reason it wont do bass well.

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1350489217' post='1839611']
Sell it to a 3rd knob. :yarr:
[/quote]

Brilliant!

In all serious, to OP, 2 knob compressors really aren't that bad. I love my EBS MultiComp and if you have it on its normal mode, it basically is a two knob compressor. Even on Multi Comp mode you can only adjust internally the effect upon Low/High bands in addition to usual Gain adjustment and Compression level. No ability to adjust the threshold, attack, release etc... but it gets the job done and sounds great, YMMV though, might not be controllable enough for you.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1350546597' post='1840219']
You know, this sort of points out a glaring gap in the market for a REAL pedal compressor! (with metering please)...

I'm not much of a hotshot when it comes to wiring etc but maybe I should learn! :lol:
[/quote]

The only pedal comp I can think of with metering is the MXR, even the higher end stuff like the FEA pedals don't have it on. Get your designing hat on!

I've often wondered why they don't have metering. Especially the more comprehensive ones - the Compressore I use is great, has all the basic compressor controls, but the only metering I get is a single LED to say it either is or is not compressing. How much it is doing I don't know. And it seems my levels change with each song so it would be good to see how close to the threshold I'm getting! Even a row of 3 or 4 LEDs to show gain reduction would help. Its all very well setting the thing up with your ears at home but when you get to a gig and find its not working the way you expected, you need to be able to identify which knob to turn and how much during the 8th note rest in bar 67 - thats if you can tell its not set up properly in a live situation, often it is the last thing I think of after meddling with gain on my amp, turning the bass up and down etc.

The only thing I personally have reservations about re the MXR is that the ratio doesnt go below 4:1 and the attack is pretty fast, but thats because its designed around the same goals as an 1176, which also has those limits.

However, an 1176 is usually used during mixing, after the bassists has well and truly left the building, and at that point you are only interested in the sonic result, whereas if its in your rig the way it makes the instrument feel to play is super important, and I personally like a lower ratio and lower threshold than that.

The Cal76 is far closer in actual design and implentation than an 1176 though, and those details make a huge difference, I would love to try one of those (except I dont want the GAS!).

But if it works for you and you dig it then its super groovy.

• 3 weeks later...