Why become a member? ×

In a band at last!

Dandelion

Just a local pub rock covers affair, but they have a real drummer and nice PA. (allegedly)

Their original bassist has left at short notice and I am perhaps the only other bassist in the area whom is both availiable and has servicable gear, hence I got the gig. :)

My first rehersal is tommorrow.

Kacking it a bit, but nothing ventured and all that.

Their next proper gig is in a fortnight, some village hall affair. I have a set list to learn if I get on ok.

Will keep you posted.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1350284880' post='1836665']
30 years of playing bass with no band! :blink: That's one of the saddest things I've ever heard. :biggrin:

Enjoy it. :)
[/quote]

Haahaa, nope not quite. 30 years ago I was playing lead guitar (badly), harmonica and Northumbrian pipes, but(not at the same time. I have been playing bass for about a year. In between I played no music only pinball :)

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1350288995' post='1836722']
Haahaa, nope not quite. 30 years ago I was playing lead guitar (badly), harmonica and Northumbrian pipes, but(not at the same time. I have been playing bass for about a year. In between I played no music only pinball :)
[/quote]

You played pinball for 30 years? You are keen! :P

Well, That was more difficult than I expected.

I some how forgot where all the notes were on the fretboard and got lost a lot.

By the time I clock what chord the rhythm guitarist is playing and transpose it to my bass the bloody chord changes, and he did not come with a pause button.

A bit disappointed in myself to be honest. I could have done with an extra brain.

They seemed to be a good bunch of chaps though.

Still, I must have done ok as I have been invited back on wednesday for another session.

My head is mashed and my fingers are ripped to ribbons.

Thanks for keeping us updated Im guessing the 'forgetting where the notes are' problem will settle down once you get used to the new situation in which you find yourself It can be strange meeting a new bunch of people let alone playing a new list of songs with them, i'm sure you will get better with each session. keep us updated and best of luck on wednesday

Forgetting where the notes are / forgetting how the songs go. I get this feeling before every gig. 9 times out 10 it all clicks into place once the music starts and on the occasion it doesn't I just fudge through it. I get the obligitory 'death stare' from the vocalist but the audience don't ever seem to notice.

It's all about nerves and they'll calm down the more you get used to the siuation.
Good luck and enjoy!

Well, that was better..

Managed five songs straight through without undue concern. Apparently my bass sounded "Awesome". I was asked to turn down by the drummer, Ha!.

Spent the remainder of the session trying to pick up songs by watching the guitarists, with some success. It was easier when we were all attempting to play a new song from scratch.

So, I am very happy.