Why become a member? ×

Im stepping into the "rock" genre...any advice for my bass playing?

stefBclef

I normally play reggae, soul, r n b, funk. That is really all I have wanted to do since picking up the bass 5 or 6 years ago as that is the music I like. Grooooooove music.

Now my guitarist friend has come to me with a demo and asked if I want to have a go playing bass in his rock project.

As I am always up for trying something new (and I do appreciate certain rock music) I said yes of course I would have a blow with him and see how it feels.

So now I am listening to the demo, trying to jam with it / learn it and generally trying to educate myself about the genre ahead of our first jam.

I found it quite hard to be honest. It is a very different genre to those I normally play. In the music I normally play there is a lot of space for the bass whereas in his demo it seems to be guitar driven and he hasn't left much space for anything else.

I have attached the demo so you get an idea, but please go easy on it. He already knows that he is to tone down the relentlessness of the guitar if I am gonna have anything to do with it. I am hoping when we jam we will end up with a more Led Zeppelin / Doors type sound rather than the outright guitar fest it currently is!

Anyway, have a listen and if you have any playing advice for me I would love to hear it. What genre would you say this music is? He has given his influences as: Soundgarden, Mars Volta, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, QOTSA and Pink Floyd.

Oh and he has recorded it in flat tuning by the way.

Many thanks
Stef

Here is the demo: [url="http://soundcloud.com/user461093031/h-demo"]http://soundcloud.co...61093031/h-demo[/url]

Edited by stefBclef

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1349972254' post='1832978']
Rock tends to be guitar and drum-led, so construct your lines to thicken the guitar parts. Don't be afraid of doubling riffs and pounding root notes in triplets or quavers either..
[/quote]

Well said.

I'd also highly recommend boosting your low mids to help differentiate your sound from the guitars.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1349979861' post='1833143']
Thanks - I can open it now. Does it start off as a 1-4-5 blues progression in C#m? Standard 12-bar pattern fits for a while, then it seems to change.
[/quote]

I only had a quick jam with it yesterday and yes I found the 1-4-5 element to be present but, as you say, it changes. I thought it was in Ab though...

I will see how I get on with C#m.

Thanks!

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1349972254' post='1832978']
Rock tends to be guitar and drum-led, so construct your lines to thicken the guitar parts. Don't be afraid of doubling riffs and pounding root notes in triplets or quavers either..

Keep It Simple, is my way of lookin at it :)
[/quote]

Ok, thanks for that advice. I will do some riff doubling in places and see how that feels.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1349980923' post='1833165']
"Advice for dipping a toe in the Rock genre" says you,

"P Bass" says I.

Oh, and a little bit of overdrive goes a long way. Ditto what everyone else has said about doubling the guitar riff - if it's good enough for Led Zep...
[/quote]

That's cool, my main bass is a P. I guess I should start turning the tone knob in a clockwise direction! Yeh I may try and get my hands on a distortion pedal. Even though every bone in my body is saying no!

The best advise is to listen to rock. Go and listen to the bands that he's listing as
influences and check out what the bass is doing.Then have a listen to some of the
'classic' rock bands and their bass players. That's really the best way of familiarising
yourself with a genre.

Sorry - I meant Abm, not Dbm/C#m. We're hearing the same thing, I think.

A couple more rock-bass thoughts:

Your friend's track is pretty crowded as it is. It may well be that "less is more" when it comes to adding a bassline to it. Something simple based on the 1-4-5 triads with a few passing notes to link it all up could do the job nicely.

I play in a noisy rock band with two guitarists. I have a Fender P but I don't use it because it's too thumpy to make itself heard when the guitarists are going for it. The Ibanez Blazer and the G&L L2000 cope better because they have a more middy sound naturally. So, as has already been said, you may well have to boost your mids to establish some bass presence if it all starts getting too busy and loud. Consider a pick too, for more attack. Be wary about trying to get yourself heard simply by turning your volume up - you'll start a volume-war with the guitarist(s).

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349995144' post='1833469']
The best advise is to listen to rock. Go and listen to the bands that he's listing as
influences and check out what the bass is doing.Then have a listen to some of the
'classic' rock bands and their bass players. That's really the best way of familiarising
yourself with a genre.
[/quote]

THIS!

The most important thing for any rock line (or any bassline??) is to make sure you lock in with the kick drum!

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1349975488' post='1833031']
Well said.

I'd also highly recommend boosting your low mids to help differentiate your sound from the guitars.
[/quote]

This. I play and have played in a lot of metal bands and the bass always gets noticed. In a rock situation the low mids are just as important to punch through and play your role whilst not throwing out a tonne of mud.

I second that it's also fine to double up on the guitar parts and pound root notes from time to time.

There's no real do or don't in type of bass to use IMO, I've seen all sorts. But most in rock will stick to P-bass / J-bass / Stingray etc, the usual.

Last but not least; attitude. Give it some power, son!
Even if it's old school rock, it's all about getting up there, having fun and sticking it to the man. X-D

Edited by Kongo

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You gotta learn the moves. Stand with your legs wide apart, lean slightly back bending the knees - as though something "awseome" is coming out of your guitar any moment!

Facial expression has to be of someone "in pain" or at least suffering greatly to make these "awesome" sounds!

....... and do that "pointing up in the air, nodding your head" thing that they all do when there's a dramatic pause! ;)

Only kidding

Edited by mentalextra