Why become a member? ×

Continuum- Michael League

chardbass

So its tipping it down outside and this really lifted me.

Great hearing a version of this number that is loyal to the original but not a slave to it- played on a fretted, maple necked P Bass with flats for starters.
Lovely interplay, good vibe going on.
Totally sympathetic playing- sublime keys sound and solo.
Drums are just THERE and what a smile :)

(I think I prefer it without the octave pedal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s-f7dIc2jg&feature=g-all-lik

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1349953133' post='1832581']
Definite Patitucci-facial-tourettes :)
[/quote]

Someone should invent some sort of gurnometer that you can hang on the studio wall that shuts all the power down after a certain point like a decibel meter. Get Rowan Atkinson in to calibrate it. ;)

This is superb - sure the gurning is what it is, does it matter? How many of you *never* pull a face when playing...? Anyway that aside this is such a lovely, free-flowing take on this tune - and shows you really don't have to play it on fretless to do it justice - further proof too of Jaco's awesome compositional talents... thanks for posting - the drums and keys are flawless for me too.

By the way - Michael League plays with great new US jazzy/funky/proggy band called Snarky Puppy who are on a UK tour next month - by all accounts they rock live... skip the intro waffle on this vid (bass players waffling, who'd have thunk it:) ) - and check this out - link to dates below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjO785yL4Jk

http://www.songkick.com/artists/29793-snarky-puppy

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1349957450' post='1832666']
This is superb - sure the gurning is what it is, does it matter? How many of you *never* pull a face when playing...? [/quote]

It's distracting from the actual music though. Not just that, but it looks so forced and false. Although when Patitucci did it it didn't seem quite as contrived as this. I remember seeing a .gif on ebaumsworld of Patitucci endlessly repeating some gurning at Chick as he played a little solo. It's like his face was reflecting what he was tying to do with the instrument, stuff like raising his eyebrows as he bent a string or whatever. I found it incredibly irritating to watch too, being a .gif!

Overall though, I do find Continuum a bit worn out. Maybe it was hearing Victor Bailey's 'Do you know who' cover. Still makes me shudder. The best version of Continuum I've heard in a while was the Trio of Doom recording. McLaughlin's shimmering guitar intro and the interplay with the bass at the start makes for fantastic listening and breathed some life into this tune which I mostly feel like I've heard one or two many times before.