Why become a member? ×

Squier Vintage basses - I'm sold!

Kubickiboy

Hey up everyone,

Been away for a while due to family and work commitments but back on the bass horse again and with a new band.

Picked up a Squier Vintage Fretless (Jaco style) a couple of months ago and it's immense! Replaced the old bridge with a Babicz and have a Fatfinger on the headstock.

And it just sings...!

Ordered a Squier Tele Bass Special off the back of the quality of that. Chomping at the bit to try it out.

Anyone else fallen for the Squiers. Had a couple of Jazzes in the past (MIM and USA) but nowt compares funnily enough!

For less than £300 a pop I might snap up another couple.

(btw my Status and Kubicki are both back in shape. And back in their cases!)

J

[quote name='Kubickiboy' timestamp='1349729716' post='1829864']

Anyone else fallen for the Squiers. Had a couple of Jazzes in the past (MIM and USA) but nowt compares funnily enough!

[/quote]

I've had my redburst Squier Standard Jazz since 2009(blimey, time flies, I only started in '08..!) and despite owning various other basses including a 'real' Fender Jazz worth several times the money I've always gone back to it. Closest thing I ever had to beating it was one of the Vintage Modified 3ts 70's Jazz basses, but sold that when I bought the Fender, something I regret now!

Admittedly the stock pickups in the Standard were some of the worst I've ever heard in a J bass, but stuck a standard set of Fender Mex's in it recently and now it absolutely sings. Does an extremely good Geddy Lee impression just straight through my Markbass rig with no eq or VLE etc whatsoever, yet back off the neck pup and it does a surprisingly good attempt at the Jaco sound, albiet 'mwah'-less.

Currently rejigging my food budget for the next semester to accommodate either the VM Jaco fretless or the Matt Freeman sig Precision... :gas:

I have a '77-style Squier jazz that I love, black with a black pickguard. I put DiMarzio pickups in and installed a Gotoh bridge (can't really tell if that helps but it looks great, and was cheap), play on flats, and I love it. It was cheap! And the upgrades were not that much. I'd acquire another Squier in a minute. The Freeman P-bass, by the way, was reviewed somewhere here very favorably.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Kubickiboy' timestamp='1349729716' post='1829864']
Hey up everyone,

Been away for a while due to family and work commitments but back on the bass horse again and with a new band.

Picked up a Squier Vintage Fretless (Jaco style) a couple of months ago and it's immense! Replaced the old bridge with a Babicz and have a Fatfinger on the headstock.

And it just sings...!

Ordered a Squier Tele Bass Special off the back of the quality of that. Chomping at the bit to try it out.

For less than £300 a pop I might snap up another couple.

(btw my Status and Kubicki are both back in shape. And back in their cases!)

J
[/quote]

Was thinking of putting the babicz bridge on my squier Fretless , big difference ?

One of the best kept secrets, in my opinion, are the MIJ Squiers from the '90s. Get yourself on ebay and pick up a 90s Squier Precision for under 200 quid, and it'll blow the socks off anything new.

I had a K series Squier P bass from 1991, and it was head and shoulders above anything I could find new. Beautiful to play. Why did I sell it? Because I made the mistake of thinking that a '62 RI Jazz would be better. I was wrong.

This is the thing, if a musician finds an instrument that clicks with them like no other has, it doesn`t matter what the brand is. To be honest, I`ve not yet played a Squier that I`ve not considered to be very good indeed. The CV Precision Ihad was great, but as both of my bands favour white instruments only, it had to go. if they made one in white though, I`d get another like a shot.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1350897858' post='1844679']
This is the thing, if a musician finds an instrument that clicks with them like no other has, it doesn`t matter what the brand is. To be honest, I`ve not yet played a Squier that I`ve not considered to be very good indeed. The CV Precision Ihad was great, but as both of my bands favour white instruments only, it had to go. [b]if they made one in white though, I`d get another like a shot.[/b]
[/quote]

How about this?

[url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/vintage-modified-precision-bass"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/vintage-modified-precision-bass[/url]

Ok, it's VM, not CV, but by all accounts a very good bass!

[i]have had a squier jazz for years[/i]
[i]bought my first one 25 years ago,as I was wanting a backup bass [/i]
[i]and I still have it,also got a vm fretless a year ago a fine thing,[/i]
[i]both standard,but with very light strings[/i]
[i]so now my 69 jazz is for home use only,for the last 15 years,[/i]
[i]great basses would buy another one no problem[/i]