Why become a member? ×

fEarful builder in the UK now!!

Raggy

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' timestamp='1349554813' post='1827786']
Add your drivers of choice ...
[/quote]

Nope. You need to use the drivers explicitly stated or the cab would sound it's best. The fEarful cabs were designed around a specific set of drivers.

[quote name='funky8884' timestamp='1349554012' post='1827772']
Great stuff !!
Does anyone know these guys ? '' Speaker Builder has been set up by two people - one a keen DIYer, the other a recognised UK builder of bass and guitar cabinets ''
[/quote]

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180193-fearful-1261-build/page__p__1711123#entry1711123

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1349550935' post='1827717']
Me thinks this might go down quite well over here...
[/quote]

Am sure it will. Look how popular Barefaced is. Its for a reason A properly engineered bass cab, good weight and decent components.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1349555420' post='1827793']
Nope. You need to use the drivers explicitly stated or the cab would sound it's best. The fEarful cabs were designed around a specific set of drivers.
[/quote]

Ok wasn't aware of that, I thought you could just slot in drivers that would be suited to the volume of the cab.

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' timestamp='1349557346' post='1827814']
Ok wasn't aware of that, I thought you could just slot in drivers that would be suited to the volume of the cab.
[/quote]
If you use similar drivers to the ones specified, you could, although the driver complement in these is better than 95% of bass cabs on the market. You could fit a cheaper speaker than the Eminence 12/15LF - or a better one - but those Eminence drivers are good value (for neos) and perform well. It's a shame they don't use 3/4" birch ply and that the crossover is a bit of a bodge. IMO of course. :)

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1349703757' post='1829292']
It's a shame they don't use 3/4" birch ply[/quote]

why? It looks as if the cabs have been designed around strong internal bracing to reduce cab resonance and weight instead of using heavy ply.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1349703757' post='1829292']
...and that the crossover is a bit of a bodge. IMO of course. [/quote]

again, why? This fearful stuff was run through the mill with testing and people experimenting will xovers. It looks as if they arrived at a pretty well suited and varied set of xovers to use.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1349707158' post='1829367']
why? It looks as if the cabs have been designed around strong internal bracing to reduce cab resonance and weight instead of using heavy ply.

again, why? This fearful stuff was run through the mill with testing and people experimenting will xovers. It looks as if they arrived at a pretty well suited and varied set of xovers to use.
[/quote]
Because 18mm ply has proven itself over the years to be the ideal material for bass cabinets. It's a balancing act. Thicker is better, but not that much better. Thinner wood and lightweight woods - even plastic - are OK for midrange, but going down to 12mm ply is a compromise for bass. Plenty of people are prepared to make that compromise because it gives them a lighter cabinet. Which is fair enough if portability is a priority. All cabinets should be properly braced.

Testing and experimenting is no substitute for measuring. You have to be able to carry out measurements to design a crossover properly and I don't think anyone did that. Anything else is guesswork.

Edited by stevie

Given the choice, a well-braced 18mm cab is better than a well-braced 12mm cab, which is better than a well-braced 6mm cab. You really have to compare like with like. Why compromise if you don't have to?

I'm not saying a well-braced 12mm cab is necessarily awful, but if I were to build a Fearful for myself, I'd use 18mm birch - that was basically my point earlier.