Why become a member? ×

Funky Eleanor Rigby Featuring Victor Wooten

Pete Academy

Not really my cup of tea, that one.
If I may be so bold as to embed one of my favourite covers of this song, here it is. Very jazzy, and it builds the atmosphere to bonkers-point several times. There's a bit of vocal chorus around 3:45 "I look at all the funky people" - brilliant!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDIA57ps2X4[/media]

Edited by Roland Rock

I thought it was terrible too. I'm glad others do. When i was listening to it i thought i hope i ain't the only person who don't like it. The main problem for me was how it just dismisses the overall ambience. The tune is mournful and this was happy. Didn't make sense. I'm aware of re interpretations etc but you should always keep the general mood of a piece. Also the melody didn't sit right. I a big believer in how a melody fits within in a tune. Its general flow. There was a cover on another thread of Look of Love and guess what didn't like that either...haha..but mainly as the melody didn't sit right in the new arrangement or convey the mood.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1349432244' post='1826171']
Stanley Jordan was doing this sort of thing - all on his own - in 1985 . . . .

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ruEkWMtdM8[/media]
[/quote]

I remember seeing him do this on a UK show, may have been 'The Tube' and being completely mesmerised by the playing, hadn't seen anything quite like it. I recall going out and picking up a Blue Note compilation CD because it had this track on it.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1349431261' post='1826156']
Not really my cup of tea, that one.
If I may be so bold as to embed one of my favourite covers of this song, here it is. Very jazzy, and it builds the atmosphere to bonkers-point several times. There's a bit of vocal chorus around 3:45 "I look at all the funky people" - brilliant!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDIA57ps2X4[/media]
[/quote]

hmm that just makes me think of the music from charlie brown,
though i agree the wooten one is wrong, if you just take the bass part, it is really nice but as part of the actual cover, er no.

I can remember listening to Elvis Presley do a version of 'Old MacDonald Had A Farm' on some album or other from the 60s or 70s. At the time I thought it was absurd but in retrospect I realised it was just a filler track he whacked on the LP to fulfill his contractual obligation to his record company to record so many tracks per year.

I've a feeling this is something similar.

And here it is.....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ZfjrvKgcU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ZfjrvKgcU[/url]

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1349435337' post='1826222']
I'm aware of re interpretations etc but you should always keep the general mood of a piece.
[/quote]

Not egg and celery. For example, I've heard a version of the very jolly Kylie song 'Can't get you out of my head' re-interpreted as a dark, brooding piece where it becomes clear that the singer is stalking her subject.

It was ok, we'll played. Liked the bass line.

Having read some of the posts in the thread about cover bands.....
Some seem to think that anything other than note for note is sacrilege, others like to "cover" a song in their own style.
Personally, I'd have been disappointed if Mr. Wooten had recorded something similar to the original.
He quite likes a bit of Beatles doesn't he?!

I would never criticise someone for doing their own cover version. Indeed, a perfect note-for-note copy would seems a bit of a waste of effort really because you might just as well listen to the original. So, for my money, covers are all about a different interpretation of a song. Might be fairly similar, might be completely outlandish - anything goes really.

But not criticising an interpretation doesn't mean I have to actually like or enjoy it.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1349461637' post='1826719']
I would never criticise someone for doing their own cover version. Indeed, a perfect note-for-note copy would seems a bit of a waste of effort really because you might just as well listen to the original. So, for my money, covers are all about a different interpretation of a song. Might be fairly similar, might be completely outlandish - anything goes really.

But not criticising an interpretation doesn't mean I have to actually like or enjoy it.
[/quote]
[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1349466789' post='1826841']
To be honest, I don't care about how the lyrical content should be expressed, or whatever. For me it was really funky and the bass playing is great. I just enjoyed it as a piece of music.
[/quote]
Fair do's!