Why become a member? ×

Playing in a covers band

Floyd

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1349390101' post='1825865']
....I often play totally different parts at rehearsals and ask bands which version they prefer, most days I just get a totally blank look....
[/quote]

I've played in that band....!

i don't play many gigs, but i pick songs i like (mostly red hot chili peppers songs) and i figure out some parts, look up tabs for others, and perfect it by playing it a few times a week for a very long time. i can play a fair few flea basslines as they are on the album. I do it mostly to build up skill and technique, and to have fun and play along with the track. I don't do it to impress or prove anything, because as i said, i don't play many gigs. I can imagine though that when i get on stage, things would become a little bit more..... mickey mouse, for lack of a better term. and of course, you have to improvise a little, don't you ;)

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1349429556' post='1826127']
As has been said before - unless you sh1t yourself and then burst into flames on stage, no-one notices the bass player (or what they play)
[/quote]

Agreed, unless the bass stops playing, then it sounds empty. As I found out when I stepped on the jack lead and pulled it out! :blush:

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1349431192' post='1826154']
Agreed, unless the bass stops playing, then it sounds empty. As I found out when I stepped on the jack lead and pulled it out! :blush:
[/quote]

I played one gig where we played the lovely 'Play That Funky Music' and in the interval our lead singer came up to me and said how much he loved what I did in the section after the guitar solo and that I should definitely do whatever it was more in the future as it really added to the dynamics of the song.

I'd actually decided to not play anything at all & let the drums carry the rhythm to create a bit of 'space' in the song. . . :lol:

Yes, I try to - I even try and get the same feel as the original by playing pick or fingerstyle to match, or playing a detuned 4-string rather than a 5-string (for low C or C# for instance) to get the feel of open strings ringing out in riffs. Like many I can't guarantee to get all the fills in the exact same order on Sweet Chile...
I hear many bass players in covers bands missing out tricky bits or playing parts in the wrong octave. Those differences might not stand out on their own but when everyone in the band is playing very close to the original it really does make a difference!

If the bass line is intrinsic then I'll get it right and play it straight, recently learnt Babooshka for instance, gotta get that right for any bass nerds in the audience. What normally happens is I'll learn the bass line, but then it ends up becoming more 'me' with ghost notes, pauses, glissandos, whatever. TBH a lot depends on how the drummer is playing it as I'll try to accent anything they are adding.