Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass players

Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1318371540' post='1401424']
Cogbill has been discussed here. I think plenty of us have heard of him and more.
[/quote]

I know he has been discussed here, and plenty have heard of him and more.
Hence, my original post was, had he really been forgotten ? just curious really.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1318334318' post='1400663']
Once again I must wave a lonely little flag for Tommy Cogbill: [url="http://www.allmusic.com/artist/tommy-cogbill-p65382/credits"]http://www.allmusic....-p65382/credits[/url]

[/quote]

Funky Funky Broadway- A giant.

Krist Novoselic of Nirvana- a giant collection of quotable lines.

Johnny Colt of the Black Crowes- such a great vibe and sound on Southern Harmony.

I've just been listening to a couple of other guys who I rarely (if ever) see mentioned on here....

Tim Lefebvre...plays some great stuff with guys like Wayne Krantz and the band Rudder. He's got
some great stuff happening with effects.

Sean Hurley-Vertical Horizon and John Mayer...He plays some really nice understated stuff,but can
break out some really melodic stuff too. He's a really under rated player.

Reggie Hamilton-I only seem to see him mentioned in respect to his signature bass. He's a monster
player on both electric and upright and his list of credits is crazy.

Neil Jason-He's another player who has played on hundreds of records but also has great chops (check
out his work with the Brecker Bros.). He's also Will Lee's dep on Letterman.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1318575215' post='1403818']
Another two who rarely get a mention,
Victor Bailey & Neil Stubenhaus.
Both done plenty, Particularly Neil Stubenhaus who's credit list is very impressive.

Edit - Tim landers as well.

Garry
[/quote]

I had the good fortune to meet Tim Landers at the 1988 Bass Centre II Weekend at the City of London Poly. Tim did a couple of classes on studio & session playing, & I must say that he was a really top bloke to talk to (got his autograph too).

Good call on Neil Stubenhaus too - really like his playing on the "Midnight Run" soundtrack.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1318365082' post='1401289']

That seems a bit nit-picking, but, OK, He turned up and played on only two tracks of the 'Never Mind the Bollocks' Album. Which was certainly two more tracks than I (or anyone else, apart from Jones and Matlock)) did. I've not read his autobiography, I just got my information from what Glen told me himself, but maybe the truth got in the way of a good story. There was a guy around them at the time called Ed Tudor-Pole, he sang on a couple of post-Lydon tracks, who I did some work with, and his comments certainly concurred with Glens'. Anyway, still a great unsung hero in my book, and a bloody nice guy to boot.
[/quote]

I wouldnt say it was nit picking. It is what it is. Glen only played on two tracks of Never mind the bollocks, and thats that. I dont think it undermines his contribution to one of the worlds greatest ever bands. I think the fact that they never wrote another proper song after he left, says much more about his real contribution to NMTB, which certainly would not exist without him in any shape or form. Glen was the major force in writing songs. More often than not Steve Jones would sit guitar in hand waiting for Glen to come up with a (riff) idea he liked for him to spark off.

I love Glens playing and some of my faves are 'Dont give me no lip child' 'substitute' 'road runner' and the few other [i]Jam[/i] tracks on Rock N roll Swindle.(an otherwise awful album in my humble opinion) This was as im sure you know, the only album Eddie Tudor Pole was on, and then only a few tracks. I saw Ten Pole Tudor, bottom of the bill supporting The Ramones and The Boys, way back when the world started, never thought much of them. I think Eddie is a way better actor than singer.

When i mentioned Glens work being heard on bootlegs that were rough , i hope it wasnt taken that i meant Glens playing was rough. His playing was always solid and dextrous, and can often be heard though the fuzz of rough bootlegs. Jonesey himself admitted that in the begining only Glen knew how to play properly. His perfect rendition of the tricky bass part from the Faces song "Three Button Hand Me Down" got him the gig, no questions asked, Only much later did he find out that Ronnie Lane had played on two tape tracks and merged them together. So kudos and all that to Glen.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1318713132' post='1405562']

I wouldnt say it was nit picking. It is what it is. Glen only played on two tracks of Never mind the bollocks, and thats that. I dont think it undermines his contribution to one of the worlds greatest ever bands. I think the fact that they never wrote another proper song after he left, says much more about his real contribution to NMTB, which certainly would not exist without him in any shape or form. Glen was the major force in writing songs. More often than not Steve Jones would sit guitar in hand waiting for Glen to come up with a (riff) idea he liked for him to spark off.

I love Glens playing and some of my faves are 'Dont give me no lip child' 'substitute' 'road runner' and the few other [i]Jam[/i] tracks on Rock N roll Swindle.(an otherwise awful album in my humble opinion) This was as im sure you know, the only album Eddie Tudor Pole was on, and then only a few tracks. I saw Ten Pole Tudor, bottom of the bill supporting The Ramones and The Boys, way back when the world started, never thought much of them. I think Eddie is a way better actor than singer.

When i mentioned Glens work being heard on bootlegs that were rough , i hope it wasnt taken that i meant Glens playing was rough. His playing was always solid and dextrous, and can often be heard though the fuzz of rough bootlegs. Jonesey himself admitted that in the begining only Glen knew how to play properly. His perfect rendition of the tricky bass part from the Faces song "Three Button Hand Me Down" got him the gig, no questions asked, Only much later did he find out that Ronnie Lane had played on two tape tracks and merged them together. So kudos and all that to Glen.
[/quote]

Well, yes, very knowledgeable and all that. But it's kinda had all the fun sucked out of what I thought was a positive thread with folk giving credit to some personal faves and unsung hero's. But never mind, thanks for all that Professor Dax.

Roy Mitchell-Cardenas of Mutemath is pretty darn good. Holds it all together very well, and some fantastic lines. He recorded all the guitar parts on the new album too, so points for versatility :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r4PS3jXhRk&feature=channel_video_title[/media]

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1318715698' post='1405582']

Well, yes, very knowledgeable and all that. But it's kinda had all the fun sucked out of what I thought was a positive thread with folk giving credit to some personal faves and unsung hero's. But never mind, thanks for all that Professor Dax.
[/quote]
I don't see how Daz 'sucked the fun out' when he was praising Matlock.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1317248290' post='1388766']

Rick Laird was a great straight ahead jazz player on upright before he joined Mahavishnu
Orchestra.

[/quote]

He was....
A young RL back in the 60's with Victor Feldman.
Great how he listens to everything going on around him.
Nice solo also.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLwvdv5oWVw&feature=related[/media]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1317287604' post='1388963']
Joe Osborne. I think its fair to say he is something of an unsung hero of bass....
[/quote]
Plus 1000 to that.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Osborn"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Osborn[/url]

Another pick player, yay!

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1318763302' post='1405823']

err. Don't know about that mate. Was refering to Paul Raven (the late) of Killing Joke.

I think Gary Glitter's real name is something like Paul Gadd
[/quote]
In between being Paul Gadd and becoming Gary Glitter he was Paul Raven. No relation to the Killing Joke guy, presumably

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1318763497' post='1405830']
In between being Paul Gadd and becoming Gary Glitter he was Paul Raven. No relation to the Killing Joke guy, presumably
[/quote]
I bow to your superior knowledge of Mr Dodgy Glitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnpwuRlXbhk&ob=av3e

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1317215636' post='1388180']
[i]Certain[/i] high-profile players get mentioned a fair deal on BC.
[i]Certain[/i] famous players get mentioned a lot, too
[i]Certain[/i] Very talented players are discussed frequently, and rightly so.

This thread is for none of the above.
Without searching, I can recall little or no mention of;

Andrew Weiss (Ex-Rollins Band)
DD Verni (Still going strong with Overkill)
Greg Christian (Testament)
The Eerie Von (Danzig)

Please add your own unmentioned players...
[/quote]

Peter Cetera, esp. on the first Chicago LP.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Glover"][b]Youth[/b][/url] was my personal fave [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Joke"]Killing Joke [/url]bass player. He played on at least the first two LP's That [url="http://www.allmusic.com/album/r10858"]first Killing Joke album[/url], has to be an all time favourite for any bass player who has heard it. (if you havent heard it, then what are you waiting for ?)

Edited by daz

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1318781543' post='1406121']
Wasn't really Trying to compare him to Youth. Just wanted to put a word in for Mr Raven for his work with both Killing Joke and Ministry.

The first 2 KJ albums are in my collection and are among my most played.
[/quote]

I thought Paul Barker played bass for Ministry, but I lost contact with them after Psalm 69?

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1317291619' post='1389030']
Why does no-one ever mention Mark King or Flea? :)

Another vote for Dennis Dunaway from me, plus Trevor Bolder, the Spiders from Mars bassist. I'll also add Jim Lea of Slade.
[/quote]

Great to see Jim Lea mentioned, he's a fantastic melodic player & my all time favourite, also good to see someone else appreciates Trevor Bolder & Mark King. Roger Glover is another great who rarely gets a mention along with Phil Lynott (who always lacked confidence in himself). Colin Greenwood of Radiohead is also very good.